View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
That is my plan - to start doing it at home in the near future. I just keep hearing it is going to be very hard for me to manage both the cushings and diabetes.
Hi again! I just want to try to lessen your anxiety a bit here about the combo of Cushing’s and diabetes. Per the ACTH testing performed last spring, Yukie exhibited elevations in certain adrenal hormones other than cortisol. So per that testing, he was NOT diagnosed with traditional Cushing’s. As far as I know, those other adrenal hormone elevations do not increase glucose levels in the same manner or as significantly that elevated cortisol does. So for the time being, I’d encourage you to put worries about traditional Cushing’s on the back burner. If you end up having a hard time controlling Yukie’s glucose levels down the road, then cortisol retesting may enter the picture once again. But for right now, I really encourage you to try to set the Cushing’s worry aside. Deep breaths, and one step at a time. Traditional Cushing’s may never be an issue for you at all.

Marianne

P.S. Just to clarify, I don’t know for certain that those other hormone elevations don’t interact with glucose levels in some manner. But I think that elevated cortisol has a more definitive impact on increasing glucose levels. But I’ll try to help research possible interactions with those other hormones as well and let you know if I find out anything significant.

Last edited by labblab; 10-02-2018 at 07:44 PM.