View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Introducing Luna

Hi and welcome

the big problem I see with your post that it appears that you raised the dose of insulin based on one number

If thats what is occurring the problem with that is just one number is just one moment in time . Blood sugar can be quite different anytime in a 24 hour period

My jesse early in her diagnosis could start out at 500 at 7 am . 5 hours later she could be at 70 and 5 hours later she could be back up to 500

Now you vet may say the standard is blood sugar is lowest say at 6 hours . thats not true all the time and i would not be surprised you may only see it half the time . another problem one day it could be lowest at that 6 hour mark and the next day it could be lowest at the 12 hour mark

Thats why you need to do complete curves ( test before shot and food and every 2 hours after till next food and shot some do 24 hour curves

Now if your vet is not doing this you could run into big problems . You cant base a diagnosis of resistance on one number

I had a similar problem having a rural vet . What i ended up doing was get my own meter to test jesse at home and i ended up managing the disease on my own . It was a scary decision but i knew i wasnt getting good info from jesses vet at the time that was 8 years ago so i think i made the correct decision

Now you dont need to disconnect completely from the vet as i did with jesse but at a minimum you have to do complete curves once a week some take up to 2 weeks for a dose to settle and make a decision on dosing up down or stay the same . Now a dose is determined by the lowest number in a curve

Its really not complicated