View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Here we go again!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyL View Post
Just trying to pick up where I left off lol. Amazed and so glad to see you guys are still doing so well!!!!! Question for you though, since you give Jesse only one meal, how do you work things out with her insulin??
Well what I do is give her her one meal at 5 pm with half her insulin then i give the other half 2 hours later . In the morning I give her a dose of insulin and a milk bone snack at 7 am

So I give her 3 units at 7 am ,3 units at 5 pm and 3 units at 7 pm but that can change a bit depending when i test her before each dose .

This system has worked very well for jesse . Dont have to worry if she has an appetite in the morning and almost a 100 percent she has good appetite for her one meal

The other thing about her split dose in the evening I am not giving a full dose at meal time so I get a second look at 7 pm before bedtime a couple hours later so I can adjust the dose if needed . Our goal was to build safety into her routine so not to go to low and knock on wood we have accomplish that so far

I am so glad we went this direction because as dogs get older there appetite usually declines. It shows a routine can be modified to a dogs challenges and caretakers schedule and still work just fine . You just have to stay consistent in whatever you do