View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Help! I accidentally gave my dog too much insulin!

I'm just checking in with a mid-year update on Snickers.

She is doing pretty good overall but her age and arthritis are catching up with her. I was able to get her to swim at the lake a fair amount and she just went to the annual k-9 splash event for dogs at our local pool. She usually uses a life jacket so when you first put her in she just floats around and doesn't paddle. I assume the floating is a relief on her joints. In shallow water she will plant her front legs on the bottom and just let her back end float.

Last week I started giving her turmeric and it seems to be helping her joints a lot. I was never able to combat the loss of appetite and other side effects she experienced with her arthritis meds so I stopped. The turmeric is a pain to deal with (it stains, needs to be combined with oil and pepper) but I was shocked what a difference it has made so I will be keeping it up.

Her insulin needs have been dropping steady since March and she is down to 6.5 units 2x a day (she was at 8 in March). Don't know exactly why but I guess it doesn't matter, does it?

Anyway, we are just taking it one day at a time and we hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend coming up!