View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New Member too - question on changing to NPH

There's typically only a very small difference in units of insulin dose between Vetsulin and Novolin N. I would drop a couple of units only from the 15 you were giving, especially since the blood sugar wasn't well controlled on that.

So I would raise his Novolin N dose to at least 10 units and perhaps more like 12 or 13 given how high his blood sugar is.

It depends a bit on why the Vetsulin wasn't working. It's possible he needed more than 15 units so 15 units of Novolin will have only about the same limited effect.

Or it could be his body didn't like the Vetsulin, in which case it's possible that a much smaller number of units of N will be effective. But so far that doesn't appear to be the case.

How much does Sam weigh?

i would ditch U40 syringes and go to the U100 syringes right away if you haven't already. The conversion just makes things more complicated.

As long as the insulin and syringe units match - Novolin N is U100 insulin so should be paired with U100 syringes, a unit on the syringe is a unit of insulin. Much simpler to think about.

The syringe / conversion is strictly a matter of the concentration of the fluid and thus how much fluid you give to deliver the appropriate number of units of insulin.

It's like pale Koolaid (Vetsulin) versus vibrant dark Koolaid (N). In a cup of Koolaid, there are fewer Koolaid crystals in the Vetsulin than in the N. So you need 2.5 cups of Vetsulin Koolaid to deliver the same number of crystals of Koolaid delivered by 1.0 cups of N Koolaid.

The two insulins are equally "potent" - they're just delivered by different quantities of fluid.

Make sense?
. . . . . . .

Some vets inappropriately limit how much insulin a dog can have based on their weight.

We have seen a few terriers, for example, that weighed around 22-23 pounds and needed 21 units of insulin per injection. They just needed more than average.

The most common dose is probably half a unit per pound / 1 unit per kilogram but there's huge variation from dog to dog.

So if you let us know how much Sam weighs, we can advise whether he's actually on a high dose or not.

Natalie