Heartgard Plus / Frontline Plus / Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartgard Plus / Frontline Plus / Revolution

I know Harry has experienced one day elevation in BG with Revolution, but do you also see some elevation with Heartgard Plus? I switched Harry from Revolution to Frontline Plus, and I did not see any impact on BG from Frontline Plus. Heartgard seemsto keep his BG levels in 300s (even 24 hours after).

Re: Heartgard Plus / Frontline Plus / Revolution

That's interesting...I'll have to monitor that when I give Jasmine her Heartgard and Frontline next week.

It's amazing to me that something so small could impact BG that much on a large dog.

Comment

I tried to find the information I received on Revolution from the Canine Liver Board I read. Some folks there do not recommend the use of Revolution for even health dogs as there COULD be liver issues.

I'm so sorry I can't remember all the details, but I did take Pip off that medication last year. Just wanted to share that in case anyone wanted to do further research.

Perhaps someone here knows more detail?

Comment

I had to use Revolution because my 20 year old cat came down with a horrible skin condition (allergy to something then MRSA). We thought mites were a possibility, and Revolution is the only product that works against the mites. We have to use Frontline Plus because we have a ton of wildlife that come to our backyard, and fleas are a real problem (along with ticks - my dogs tested positive for numerous tick borne illnesses).

Comment

have you ever tried dawn dish soap the basic blue style ( Iguess it has to be dawn for some reason and it has to be the blue version)

jesse got fleas just recently from catching a squirrel

well I thought hmmm this isnt good fleas off a squirrel so i looked online to find something that might get rid of them quick

well i tried the dawn dish soap with a bath no more fleas on jesse and they say it takes care of the eggs too I sprayed the spots she was laying with flea and bedbug insecticide and havent seen any fleas
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Jesse Girl,
            I think the issue is also ticks (very common in our neighborhood - maybe even our backyard) as well as my cat's possible allergic reaction to fleas. I nearly lost my 20 year old cat because of skin allergy complication earlier this year. The dermatologist thought mites / flea reactions. He said that it would only take a single flea bite to cause an allergic reaction.
            I also suspect my Harry's proteinuria may be due to tick exposure (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichia). I even found an attached deer tick on myself not too long ago. I do live on the mountain, and we are surrounded by wilderness (coyotes, skunks, racoons, deer and mountain lions to name a few) - even though we put tall fencing around our house, we do find deer in our backyard.

Comment

If you're in an area where heartworm is a big risk and wanting to use the meds, you might look at Interceptor vs. Heartguard's meat flavored chew. The Interceptor is a chewable tablet and may not raise blood sugar as much as the chew.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Patty,
                Good idea. I tried Interceptor last year, but my dogs hated the taste. I will keep my non-diabetic dog on Heartgard, but switch Harry.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
                  I know Harry has experienced one day elevation in BG with Revolution, but do you also see some elevation with Heartgard Plus? I switched Harry from Revolution to Frontline Plus, and I did not see any impact on BG from Frontline Plus. Heartgard seemsto keep his BG levels in 300s (even 24 hours after).
                  I always used Frontline Plus with Niki, I never noticed any difference with her bg levels, never tried the others.

Dolly
                  Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

There's a new product in the Vet's office now. I did pick up a 6 mo. supply but still have the Heartgard and Comfortis to run out.

The new product is Trifexis (spinosad + milbemycin oxime). A chewable tablet for heartworm, fleas and intestinal parasites. One tablet per month.

You may want to check it out with your vet.

Cheers

Harry.

Comment

Lots of great answers to my questions thanks
                      I hope that the last two months of revolution hasen't hurt my girls liver or her bg levels.
                      Last edited by Pamala; 07-03-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I used revolution on Forbin (and my other dogs) for his entire life. No liver issues. It raised his BG for a day or 2, but I knew to expect it.
                        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                        X