Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
That's still a dangerous strategy, giving insulin before food, in case the dog doesn't eat.
Better to get the dose increase going week after week and work towards decent fasting sugar levels.
I agree with that
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. My vet told me to increase his insulin to seven units tonight and get it after he eats. That is what I'm going to do. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Gave Yukon 7 units at 6:45 pm after dinner and took BG at 8:25 pm. It was 334.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Founding Member

that sounds very promising!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Well we are back up to 744 BG this morning before his first insulin shot

We still have the appointment with the internal med doctor on the 29th. I hope she can figure out how to control everything.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:29 PM

But don't forget, it takes a few days for the body to adjust to, and properly process, a new dose. Do not base anything on one reading, especially the first day of a new dose.

Diabetes is not mathematical, and the body is not a machine.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 PM

We have been in the high 300/low 400's in the morning with the 7 units of Vetsulin the last few days. I brought a urine sample to the vet and she said it was very diluted and the sugar was 1,000. I noticed that Yukon has been licking his privates that last couple days, but the vet said he did not have a UTI or Bladder Infection.

Don't you have to do a urine culture to determine a UTI?
Old 10-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Pretty sure a culture is the sure way to test for infection.

Your current sugar levels will show a bit of sugar in the urine, that's normal, as long as it doesn't approach ketones.
My dog is regulated, and he showed a bit of sugar in his urine in the spring, plus a few crystals. Last urinalysis {2 weeks ago) showed everything was clear. Things can come and go.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Went to the internal doctor last Monday and she did an ultrasound and said all Yukons organs look good for his age. Raised his insulin to 8 and told me to do a curve Saturday. I did the curve and it appears that his BG spikes incredibly about an hour after his food/insulin. It appears that his low point doesn't occur until almost 10 hours after the shot.

The internal med doctor wanted to do a urinalysis today to rule out a UTI and they called tonight and said no infection but lots of glucose in urine no ketones though. They want me to do another curve this Saturday and then the internal medicine doctor will make a decision I guess whether or not we should switch his insulin.

I have noticed some sticky spots on my floor in various areas and he still licking his privates. I'm getting a little discouraged with all these doctors and we are pretty much the same place we were six weeks ago.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 AM

seems with my dog his bg rose an hour to an hour and a half after food and insulin was due to giving too much food and or an ingredient in the food had some sugar so the food intake went ahead and the insulin didnt meet up with the food.

what food are you feeding your Yukon and how much?