Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Athena. Newly DX: Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysaint View Post
Take it from a human diabetic, don't try and manage the dog like us humans. I learned the hard way. Don't get focused on numbers.

It takes a while for a dog to slowly come down, little by little. Stay consistent. Follow the basic regimen. And don't try to correct high numbers off and on, it just prolongs regulation.

Slow and steady wins the race.
Hi Raysaint
Thank you so much yes I learned that very quickly the nurse in me just wanted to go that route but it didn’t take long for me to realize there’s a gigantic difference between diabetes in a dog and human
You have a fantastic vet and I faxed over the curb number as I did last night and of course she said she wasn’t surprised by the numbers that she expected to see that And pretty much reinforced what you said she said it’s more about stabilizing Athena and not to worry so much about with these numbers look like because in the beginning they may look pretty wonky for a while
And she did state that she did start I Thena on the lower end of an insulin dosage because she wants to do this gradually so today she increased Athena from 14 to 18
She would also like us to do a curve next week to see where we are going And she will just let us continue going with our plan and we will do another curve and say a month. They were very impressed with the way I made up a form and did her curve again that’s the nurse in me with my charts and everything :-)

Good news we got today is that happiness time I eat is fine or stimulating thyroid was a bit iffy I totally expected with her diabetes and she said that there is no need to place Athena on any thyroid medicine so we were very happy about that

She asked about how she has been the last week and I said we were happy To report that Evelena seems a lot happier she has some spunk back in her and the other day she actually ran after a stick that my hubby threw in the yard for her. She loves sticks
You should’ve seen us we sounded like a couple of cheerleaders in the yard saying “yay she’s running she’s running” She really hasn’t been doing that much lately and she went through such a terrible grief with losing our oldest boy Axle was her sidekick and best buddy

So we are not going to worry about numbers we are just going to concentrate on stabilizing her and helping her feel better. She’s doing fine with her gradual change in diet and she likes the new treats just fine

So today we are feeling very encouraged as we go forward and although we are all still so heartbroken over the loss of our boy we know where he is and one day we will see him again and we now have our girls to focus on. Our boy will always live in our hearts our sweet Scooby Doo of a dog that he was. I know it sounds crazy but we really truly do feel him around us all the time and that’s a great thing and we know that he gave us 12 wonderful years and we did our very best till the end for him and we did not want him to suffer and as much as it broke our hearts we had to sum up the courage to let him go with dignity and love And that’s exactly how it went

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and words of advice you have no idea how much it means to us

If anybody has any treat ideas that we can get it for Athena outside of the ones that you can get my prescription we would love to hear about them so that we can give her a little variety

Right now we have to separate kinds of food to different diets going and everything but we will work it out. Athena had to eat one way and a girl Lucky has to eat another way (She remains on the holistic diet we used to have Athena on as well And that our boy ate as well)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM

As far as treats go, this is what I give to Lily. They don’t mess with her blood glucose levels at all.

Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 01-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
As far as treats go, this is what I give to Lily. They don’t mess with her blood glucose levels at all.

Thanks so much Mike! Have a great weekend
Old 01-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weloveathena View Post
Thanks so much Mike! Have a great weekend
Hi Mike
I had to pick up some medication at the vet today for Athena that she’s on for her joints and there was a lady in there that had a diabetic dog we started speaking about our dogs while I was waiting
Her dogs numbers or crazy like Athena but she’s not treating her dog with insulin and she won’t she said she is going to just continue to adjust her dogs diet and do it that way

Is that even safe with a dog? She said the vet wasn’t happy about it but couldn’t force her to make her dog take insulin. I hope that sweet dog does ok

Any thoughts

I’m going by what the vet says because I’m confident in her skills and knowledge but I just can’t stop thinking about that dog in the same condition that Athena is in
Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM

Default Injection sites. Advice pls. Results of first Curve

The only place we are able to find good injection sites for Athena is around her neck area so we’re trying to go in a sort of circular motion so as to not keep injecting the same area does anyone here inject in any other areas she doesn’t have a lot of loose skin anywhere in her hindquarters or middle of her body probably not until we get some more of this weight off. Our vet said this is fine but I was just wondering if there are any other areas she is such a good girl with her injections

I also wanted to post the results of her first curve
Pre-meal/fast. 471
2 hour post meal 517
4 hour 499
6 hour 581
8 hour 556
10 hour 582
12 hour 616

Meal/evening dose 2 hour post 562

All done with Alpha Trak 2. Setting for dog double checked

Our vet didn’t seem too alarmed by these crazy numbers and said it’s not uncommon to see this and we will be doing another curve next week

Has anyone else seen this kind of craziness in the numbers and I know they said not to get too caught up in the numbers but I guess it just seems to be so crazy

Athena also has Cushings. She’s had Cushings for a few years now Full thyroid panel was good

Thanks 🙏 💕🐾
Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM

That’s kinda crazy. Dogs are type 1 diabetics, meaning their pancreas no longer produces insulin. They are completely dependent on injected insulin. Their lives depend on it.

Some diabetic dogs can experience a honeymooning period where their body produces some insulin, but this is usually a temporary thing.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
That’s kinda crazy. Dogs are type 1 diabetics, meaning their pancreas no longer produces insulin. They are completely dependent on injected insulin. Their lives depend on it.

Some diabetic dogs can experience a honeymooning period where their body produces some insulin, but this is usually a temporary thing.
Thank you Mike I agree
And then I was thinking oh maybe because dog diabetes is so different than human diabetes but common sense in my mind dictated that is a pretty risky path to take the dog that sick
Old 01-13-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Injection sites. Advice pls. Results of first Curve

For a new diagnosis, crazy and inconsistent numbers will happen for a while. Stay the course.

For injecting my dog, I mainly use the scruff of the neck, between shoulder blades and base of his neck; I move it around the area.
Once in a while I use the area just behind the upper part of his front leg, on the side, about 3 inches down from his spine. There is a bit of loose skin there.

One thing I found is that when I first inject there, the flesh seems to contract and tense up, so I wait a couple seconds and then inject slowly. If it keeps contracting whhen I start to inject, I pull it out and use the scruff.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:26 AM

No insulin in a type 1 diabetic is a slow death sentence. I'd be reporting that person if it was me. That's just me.

Going from 14 to 18 units is not a gradual increase, and the body might react in funny ways. Spot check around nadir times. Not sure why a vet would increase that much, even being on the low side of the starting dose.

Mike had a couple good treat suggestions. I also use the Purebites chicken, and a couple brands of dehydrated liver. These treats are pure protein and generally don't affect blood sugar, however, moderation is still key. Protein can be converted and stored by the liver as sugar, but usually doesn't enter the bloodstream under normal conditions.

It's also good eventually to have a carb type treat, to use if you see slightly inconsistent nadir numbers, or to offset physical activity. Depends on when you exercise, or if maybe morning fasting was low, etc.

I give my dog a couple pieces of dehydrated sweet potato every day, just to add a tiny bit of carb, to help prevent lows later in the day during nadir hours, but it's not enough to shoot his sugar high. If he doesn't want sweet potato, he gets one of the Royal Canin biscuit type treats I got from the vet.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:55 AM

She increased her from her first curve results but I’m not doubting my vet We think she’s very good Athena is a bit of a difficult case with other health conditions. Today was the first day that she didn’t want to take the shot she has been so good with everything and today was the first sign of what seem to be like she was just not wanting to do it period. We got it done calmly but inside I felt bad for her
She such a great dog and a wonderful member of our family. This just sucks especially after just losing our oldest, our sweet boy in December. We really thought she was just grieving his loss the way she was acting plus she has Cushing’s. Never did we imagine that her weight loss and not eating was a result of her being diabetic it just came at a nowhere it seems. Before our boy passed away she will eat the kitchen sink if you let her.

As for the woman who is not treating her dog with diabetes. Her vet is fully aware of what she’s chosen to do it’s not for me to get involved and report her to anyone. Seems that it was an issue her vet would do the reporting

We just lost our boy in December and are now faced with dealing with Athena and her diabetes on top of Cushing’s and our focus is on our dogs. We also have a younger want to think about who is healthy but still needs us just as much