Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Insulin

Insulin Kinds of insulin, action profiles, use in dogs, where to buy, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default Dr. Peterson on how long vials of NPH can be used

From Dr. Mark Peterson's excellent endocrinology blog for veterinarians, he weighs on on how long a vial of NPH can be used and whether it should be refrigerated.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Dr. Peterson on how long vials of NPH can be used

well i just started using a new vial the old one i got and started using dec 1st 2011 with no loss of potency that i could tell with 3 pokes a day

the reason i kept it so long is because the numbers were so good and then they started to get a bit wacky got a new bottle still wacky so who knows i could have gone longer i guess .
Old 02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Dr. Peterson on how long vials of NPH can be used

I'm a bit of a cheapskate, but think I'll stay with six weeks for NPH. My current usage would be about 2/3 of a vial and think that might be good. I worry about my rolling / mixing technique with "cloudy" insulin like NPH.

I do remember when we were using Vetsulin, and tried to suck every drop out of the vial in a month due to the higher cost. I would wonder if the last injection was the same as the first due to mixing.