Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

Here is Toby.... (new name, unless the grand children have something different). He is a black schnauzer, whereas, Scruff was a "salt & pepper."

We picked him up in Boaz, Alabama today. It was a long 500 mile round trip.

He is 12 weeks old and seems happy in his new home!

We hope to introduce him to the trails by late winter or early spring.

We packed all of Scuff's "stuff" in a big plastic box. We plan to do a photo album and written story in his honor (ring binder type). The grand kids loved him (and so did we, no doubt). We have numerous friends on Face Book that looked forward to seeing our pictures of trail hiking with Scruff. They all were sorry to hear of his demise. So, there are lots and lots of pictures to choose from.

So, now let the healing begin!

Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

Oh my gosh, he is a cutie. Wishing many many healthy years. Looking forward to those pictures on the trails.

Sometimes there is nothing that heals the heart unless we can love again.

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

ohh puppy breath

dont you just love it

happy trails
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Aw, he's adorable!
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

We took Toby for 4 mile trail hike Sunday afternoon. He was so excited to be totally free to run and jump. He carried sticks, picked up big brown oak leaves, smelled where the squirrels had been, explored, etc. The grandchildren love him. He was full of energy the entire hike.

My Internet service has been "slowed" due to over use. So, on the 15th when it is restored, I'll post a few pics of Toby on the trail.

Well, today has been a really bad day for me. I'd been working outside doing a few chores, then come inside and fell asleep on the couch. I dreamed about Scruff ....... When I woke-up he was vividly on my mine. So, I opened a picture program and looked at numerous pictures of him...... all taken since back in mid-summer. I cried until my eyes were swollen.

I tell you, it hurts! As I've said numerous times (here and to friends), the end due to diabetes and age was out there in the not too distance future for Scruff. I thought of it often since his diabetes diagnosis last January. But, losing him so sudden never allowed us to say goodbye ! I just cannot imagine that would have been as horrible as what I've experienced over the last 36 days. The night before he was killed by the coyote(s), I had talked to him about a hair cut, bath and brushing his teeth the next day ...... promised him that I'd do it. He slept on the floor in his sleeper beside the couch that night. Strangely, he never got me up all night whereas he always did.

I've owned numerous dogs but never been as close to one as with Scruff. We did almost everything together.

Anyway, I thought the hurt would be better by now. I feel so guilty trying to forget about him and get him out of my mind! Toby is beginning to fill-in the missing pieces though.
            Miniature Schnauzer, named Scruff! My wife and I are retired and do a lot of traveling in our vintage VW Vanagon. Most recent trip was to Alaska, 2014. Scruff went along too!

Comment

I lost my diabetic dog, Decker, somewhat suddenly too. It's going on three years but some days are still tough. He was only 9 and had two cat siblings who were 17 at the time and a canine sibling who was 11 at the time. Decker was the baby of the animals and in my heart should not have been the first to pass. My mind knows it doesn't always work that way but my heart still feels he should have had more time.

We waited a bit and then got an 8 week old Toby pup of our own. Our Toby is now 2 years old and has helped with the healing process. We took him and our old man Kinser (who is almost 15) hiking along trails the past few weekends. The trails are beautifully groomed and dogs are allowed to be off lead. There are always other hikers and dogs on the trails and both my dogs love the adventure and social interaction.

Decker was a difficult dog. He had a host of behavioral issues and could not handle public outings. As much as we love to take Kinser & Toby hiking - some days it still makes me sad that Decker never got to experience the fun they are allowed to have. He would have loved the smells and the general outdoor adventures. He was not a dog who could have run off lead at such a public place though and the interaction with other dogs (especially if they were off lead and would have run up to sniff him) would have been more than he could have handled.

I don't think the loss ever gets easier with time. Over time you just learn to focus more on the present and the distance makes remembering the good times less painful. Hope today is a better day.
              Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Well, it's been a while since I've lurked here. I thank each of you for your encouragement, well wishes and prayers.

It's been 106 days since Scruff was taken away from us. It is a little easier now than a month or so ago. But, no day goes by without thinking of him, looking at a picture, remembering something unique about him, etc.

Toby will be 6 months old on Tuesday. He's reached adult size and has developed his on unique personality. Oddly, although he's a Schnauzer, his likes, habits, responses to commands, etc., are all unique and mostly different than Scruff. I guess that's okay and good. Toby is slightly larger than Scruff and is obviously going to be a bit heavier. The VET predicts he will reach 30 lbs. Scruff was 23 lbs.

We've been back and forth whether or not a Coyote(s) or a bear took Scruff away from us. We'll probably never know and I doubt if it matters.

Rest assured, Toby will not have the freedom Scruff had, but he does have access to about three acres fenced right off our back yard. So, he uses it all to run and play. We've had Toby on a number of hikes since I last posted. The longest was over 6 miles in 4 hours.

Comment

Well, I thought I'd touch base with everyone.

Yeah, it still hurts losing Scruff. He's been gone from us over 19 months.

Toby, will be turning 2 in August. He did not get as big as we thought he would. He's about 19 pounds. And, so many aspects of Scruff's personality have gradually appeared in Toby. I guess that's okay.

September of 2016 we got Toby a friend. His name is Brody. Brody was 5 months old, over weight and hair in his eyes when we got him. He was a spur of the moment purchase for three young kids. When school started there was no one take care of him. So, he was put up for sale. We got a good deal on him. He is a solid white. (Toby is black.) Brody's personality is entirely different than Toby. But, they are great buddies...

Anyway, today, both are slim and trim. I feed them Purina Beneful dry dog food with a touch of Purina One canned for a bit of flavor. They have 3 acres of fenced area to roam. I can gate them to two acres or down to one acre as needed. And, they love riding in my vintage VW Van.

Happy summer to all.........

Comment

glad to see you found it in your heart to love again

sounds like things are going well

we never forget
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

• Re: Scruff the Schnauzer, Rest in Peace 10/31/15

What a lovely update on you all! Brody sounds like a great addition to the family.

Natalie

Comment

So happy you have a new pup to share your adventures! Glad you checked in!
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks Natalie for helping me re-set my password....

Well, it has been a while since I last visited and a long time since I posted.

Scruff recently celebrated his 15th birthday (9/26/05) on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. It was become much easier to look back as the years have unfolded since his untimely death by a coyote on 10/31/15. The huge selection of photos help keep memories of him alive.

Toby and Brody are doing fine............ lots of daily exercise and a very good diet.

As I stated previously, Brody was overweight when we got him. Today, his weight is perfect.

Toby is still slim and trim and full of explosive energy......... always ready to go outside for a walk and to chase a squirrel.

Be safe everyone!

Comment

Glad to see everything is going good . Jesse will have her 16 birthday in october and we take it one day at a time . Wow a coyote . Jesse once went straight up on a hill to where a coyote was and they got nose to nose . I was to far to do anything as she was looking for rabbits but instead she found a coyote . To my surprise the coyote took off and sat on another hill watching . Jesse flushed out some squirrels and the coyote caught one of them , I guess they had a plan they talked over to get a meal for the coyote . Stay safe and happy

Comment

It's nice to see you here and to hear that things are going well.

I feel the same about Chris and his many friends here at the forum. Time makes the memories warmer and softer and sweeter, takes the raw edge off. We just celebrated our dog Jack's 12-year adopta-versary, which followed Chris' passing in 2008 by a couple of months. Chris would have turned 26 this year!

It's just shocking to think that so much time has gone by already. Jack's an old boy now at 13. Every day I am thankful Jack didn't develop diabetes... not because I can't handle diabetes but because Jack is not the mellow tolerant boy Chris was. It would be very challenging to test Jack's blood sugar at home!

Wishing you and your pups many happy years together!

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                              X