Blood sugar 76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sparky - the battle of the sugar

I firmly agree with Patty on raising by HALF a unit for now, and then you can test in a week or so (curve), and if things look good as they do now, perhaps with slightly lower numbers, you can assess the possible need for that other half-unit increase at that time.

Your vet sounds very nice!
    Wed, 14 Sep 2011 18:26:14 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

I think going gradually is an excellent idea. And, yes, my vet is wonderful. graduated as an engineer from Cornell, worked at a high powered company making major $$$$$ and then traded it all in to go to vet school at Penn and says he couldn't be happier. He spends hours on his own time at home talking to me on the phone discussing options for Chloe & Sparky. I tell him he is my adopted son!
      Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

Patty & C.arol, I did as you advised and only raised insulin by 1/2 unit (to 51/2). sparky has been on this dose for 2 weeks with no other changes. Here is his curve from today - first one done on new dose:
        FBS 351
        7:30 Food & meds
        8:00 51/2 units Humulin N
        10:00 198
        12:00 236
        2:00 229
        4:00 184
        6:00 224
        Comments?
        Thanks, carrol
        Carrol & Sparky (AKC Nuage Sparks a Flyin') Bichon Frise 10 yrs. old, diagnosed October 2010, 18.8lbs, Humulin N 5 1/2u twice a day; 2/3 cup Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight with 1 tsp. Blue Buffalo canned chicken meatloaf twice daily. REALLY likes: Romaine lettuce

Comment

Sooooo-oh,ho,ho, GREAT to see you back, Carrol. What's more, with a TOTALLY GORGEOUS CURVE!

How very beautiful! I am SO happy for you and Sparky!

Yep; that's my comment! :-)
          Sun, 2 Oct 2011 18:30:30 (PDT)
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

Hip hip hourrah. Go Sparky... So nice to see you back Carol

Louise

Comment

Thanks, Louise. It is good to be back with you guys!

Comment

Thanks, Carol. I missed you guys! What is it they say....."Good things come to those who wait." ? And it only took a YEAR!

Comment

You've given a great example of the difference half a unit can make!

I'd be curious to know if his blood sugar is always significantly higher first thing in the morning. If so, you might want to work on his evening dose a little and see if you can bring it down. It's not unusual for a dog to need slightly different doses am and pm.

This is such a great improvement! I'm really happy for you!

And love your vet - I love the note about reminding Sparky he's not a cat. It's a credit to the vet that he knows the high blood sugar from stress is far less common in dogs than in cats.

Natalie

Comment

Hi Nataslie!
                    Dr. L. said the numbers were perfect but the curve was slightly off. Do you know what he meant? was it the high FBS number?

Comment

I suspect he meant the ups and downs in it. The curve that's "taught" is a shallow bowl so curves that don't look like that would be considered unusual.

Natalie

Comment

I'm jealous of your latest curve but inspired by your patience! It really is amazing what a half a unit did for you and Sparky! Congratulations

Karen & Sammie
                        Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

Nice to meet you Karen - and Sammie, of course!. Yes it has been a long, frightening year, especially with Sparky losing his sight. I blamed myself for not getting him regulated sooner but it is what it is
                          Louise, you are right but at least Dr. L said it was a great curve nonetheless and we should be happy. Plus, Sparky is not peeing and drinking such copious amounts and so frequently. he finally sleeps through the night!
                          I think what Dr. L. was aiming for was to bring the whole curve (such as it is) down a notch so the numbers are just a little lower.

Comment

Romaine lettuce. Remember that! LOL

And you know...blaming yourself isn't good but it sounds like you've come to terms with it. I know I worry about the same thing. Am I going fast enough in getting him regulated? Am I accepting higher numbers because he feels good? What could I be doing to regulate him better? I'm sure we ALL ask those questions and all feel guilt to some degree or another that we aren't doing everything we might be. I think we really DO have to accept what you said...it is what it is...and agree that we do the best we can and if it doesn't end up perfect...maybe it really wasn't meant to be that way.

I AM glad to hear Sparky is doing well! Gives me hope that Hank will get there, too! HUGS!!!
                            Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

We have been away for awhile I was sick, my son was flying for the Navy in Iraq and my daughter had her 2nd girl a week ago - but Sparky has been fine. I did his curve today and wonder what you think:

FBS 127
                              Ate meal, had insulin
                              9:00 223
                              11:00 167
                              1:00 131
                              3:00 101
                              5:00 136
                              7:00 211

Sparky eats 2/3C Blue Buffalo Healthy weight with 1 TBL canned Blue Buffalo chicken dinner mixed in twice a day.
                              He gets Fortiflora in the am and 1 cap.Ocu-Glo mixed with 1tsp canned food.

Comment

Great numbers!!! Trust the humans are doing as well as he is. Contrats on the new grand daughter!

Mary
                                Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                                Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                                Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                                Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Working...
                                X