Heartworm drug resistance: It's real!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartworm drug resistance: It's real!

New study that current macrocyclic lactone canine heartworm preventatives are not working as well as in the past. They believe that the worms are developing resistance.

http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=28284

The macrocyclic lactone class of drugs in question comprises avermectin drugs (ivermectin and selamectin) and milbemycins (milbemycin oxime and moxidectin). These drugs are found in all commercial heartworm preventives, including: Heartgard (ivermectin), Tri-Heart Plus (ivermectin), Sentinel (milbemycin oxime), Revolution (selamectin), Advantage Multi (moxidectin), ProHeart6 (moxidectin), and Trifexis (milbemycin oxime).

Re: Heartworm drug resistance: It's real!

I just learned my uncle's golden was on Trifexis and has come up heartworm positive, though caught early.
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I still have Abby on Inteceptor... (remember I am the one that has 800 syringes in my garage)... as they are no longer making it. I am at a loss to what I will change her too. This makes me even more leery.
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Is Interceptor coming back on the market? I kept hearing it was that was last Aug. but then didn't have reason to research again.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
        X