Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

There are many places to try for bgs.
    Find the place that works for you and your pet.
    I find the callous on the elbow and skin tags work for me because no stress to pet or moi.The Relion Confirm isnice
    because it takes just a tiny drop of blood. If you want to keep trying the ear remember
    puncture ear with lancet near the edge of the ear. It may help to rub vaseline on the area before using lancet to cause a bubble of blood for meter strip.Put a cotton ball on the other side for suppoert.
    Last edited by Ann Renee L.; 05-02-2015, 01:48 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by mocha6206 View Post
      hello I have an 8 year old chihuhua named mocha. He was just diagnosed a few weeks ago..I feed him the hills w/d he seems to like it, and hes on Humalog 2 units twice a day. I bought a reli-on meter and I attempted to get his glucose levels today, by sticking him in his ear and he flinched but I didn't get much blood so I was able to get a reading. Do you check your dogs levels? If so what kind of meter do you use? A friend of mine had a diabetic dog and she said she never checked her dogs bg levels because she fed him consistently same amount and same food, and unlike humans, we consume all different kinds of food. I am just looking for any helpful advice. This is new to me and I gotta tell you I am scare I am going to do something wrong and he is going to suffer. Thank you for any advice Dianna
      Look and see if your dog has a skin tag. I never got blood on my Chihuahua's ear because of his black hair made it tough to see a vein.You need to go close to the edge of the ear. Shining a flash light on back of their ear may help. Otherwise try other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Renee L. View Post
        Does your dog have any skin tags on his legs or body? These do not hurt when you poke them with a lancet to get blood. Another place is a callous behind the knee (a dry patch of skin). Reward your dog after glucose test with praise and a little treat like a piece of boiled chicken.

My Chihuahua has several skin tags. I can get blood easily from them. I use a Relion Confirm
        meter because it takes just a tiny drop of blood. If you want to keep trying the ear remember
        puncture ear with lancet near the edge of the ear. It may help to rub vaseline on the area before using lancet to cause a bubble of blood for meter strip.Put a cotton ball on the other side for support.

Let me know how it is going for you. May need to take break and do urine glucose. Purchase urine glucose strips to test urine. Write down results for your vet. Then when you try blood glucose again you may be more relaxed and not too frustrated. If you still have problems your vet or vet tech will help you. Every dog is different when it comes to finding the best spot for testing. Hang in there. My best to you.
        Remember a vet or vet tech can have you come in and help you.
        Let me know how it goes for you. I hope your dog has a skin tag! Then it is easy.

Comment

test on ears (left ear better), tried lip but she licks it before I can get the blood, her pads are too tough, has a dew claw with a pad like but she sits on her legs like a chicken so I can't get to them, no warts etc, doesn't mind the clicking of the lancet

Comment

Inside of lip.
            4 1/2 year old female Rotti, current weight 108 pounds. This week @ 26 units 2x a day, Novolin N, diag. 1/31/15. BG still in the mid 200's + 300's. Still trying to find a good dosage. Blue Healthy Weight 2 1/2 cups 2x's a day. Relion Prime meter

Comment

The two places I found success with in doing blood glucose curves and tests on my Chihuahua :
              ●elbow callous
              ●skin tags
              I use the lancet only so there is not a clicking sound.
              Last edited by Ann Renee L.; 05-02-2015, 01:39 PM. Reason: update

Comment

My vet showed me how to take from the vein in the leg with a syringe, needs 2 people though. I couldn't get anything from his ear and he doesn't have any skin tags. Does anyone ever do urine test - i know its difficult to get a sample.

Comment

Mocha I have a Yorkie and she was just diagnosed in Feb 7 2015. I did her BS first from her lip and it takes a lot of control to get it before she licks her lip but you have to hold the lip well and make you pup mind. She seemed to get sore pretty fast even tho I alternated sides. I looked at her pads and tried a couple of times with no luck. I am now using her dew claw pads and it works great. They are smaller pads and softer so they work well. Try that but make sure you alternate after about ever 5 times or so. They are so easy to use and have a good blood supply. Good luck on that. Some people us the top of the tail to where it meets with the body but you need to shave the hair so it's out of the way. Good luck with your doggy!!

Comment

inner lip with lancet dont use lancet device
                    put him between my legs holding with knees, put strip in alphatrack 2 meter, put it on floor, jab twice with lancet, slip strip into blood droplet to cover dots
                    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I use Sam's ears. They work awesome and he doesn't seem to mind one bit. I can even do it when he's asleep! On a rare occasion it doesn't bleed and I have to re-stick but most times I get enough on the first try as the Alpha Track II (and most meters) doesn't need much blood. I have the device set on its highest setting though. If i set it on a lower setting, I put the round bottle the strips come in behind the ear to provide a rounded hard surface to prick on. That works well too. Don't use the high device setting AND the hard surface though. I did that once and although Sam still didn't seem to mind, it pricked right through his poor ear. Poor baby had a pierced ear for a second Healed right up though! Bleeding on all his stick stops with one second of pressure!

Comment

Unfortunately, Callie wouldn't bleed for her ear or her paw, or her elbow. I pricked her way too many times than I'd like but soon found that her lip was best. She lays down and takes it well, sweet baby. I set the lancet to a 2 and she doesn't flinch, she just doesn't like her lip getting dry.

Comment

Inner lip does become sore esp. when doing a curve.
                          Where is the Dew Paw??

Comment

Its the bump of skin on the back of the front legs,above the " ankle" and below the " knee". Its the carpal pad,thats where i test. I use left eg in tje morning,and right one at night
                            Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

We test in the elbow callus. I have a Lab so, it makes it easy. I sometimes test her lip but that's rare. She hates the lip but tolerates the elbow really well.
                              Mia spayed Labrador--Diagnosed 1/20/14, passed away 7/9/15 at age 11.5 from complications of Laryngeal Paralysis. Diabetic, GI issues, Laryngeal Paralysis. She was the sweetest dog in the world.

Comment

I use a plastic lid from coffee can slip it under while they are
                                Urinating

Comment

Working...
                                X