Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I can't afford insulin for my dog anymore

Originally posted by Flea View Post
    I'm hoping to learn more about that alternative insulin. Someday, at this rate.
    Yo Flea, ... the "alternative" insulin, Novolin®, functions just as well as the Humulin® N you're using, at a small fraction of the Humulin® price. They're the 2 major players in the NPH insulin market:
    • Humulin® N; produced by Eli Lilly & Company,

and

• Novolin® N; produced by Novo Nordisk.

They are, for all intents and purposes, substitutes, equivalents, like Chevrolet® vs. Ford®, Coca Cola® vs Pepsi®, etc., etc..

The only real difference is in the price, if the Novolin purchase is made at a Wal-Mart pharmacy for $24.88, using their ReliOn® Novolin® N store brand. Otherwise You can spend $158.13 for the Humulin® N. Either will do the job.
    Last edited by farrwf; 10-09-2017, 08:55 AM.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Re: I can't afford insulin for my dog anymore

Flea, remember if you change food you'll probably have to regulate the dog again.
      Have you advertised the dog to anyone, to see if someone would take him? Would he be comfortable with new owners?
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
      X