NansPups - Zoe with her odd curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZOE with Her Odd Curve

Problem with Zoe is I initially tested her at what I though it was her Nadir time, say 1pm, whereas it turned out, after the first curve, that wasn't her Nadir but her peak instead. Now you know how frustrated I am. She really doesn't do well in the 300, either she just lays there half sleep, or she just sits there staring.

When I tested her at 335 one day at 1pm, I thought it was way too high for Nadir, and decided to increase insulin, it might not be necessary at all. Now I am hesitating if I should drop back to the original dosage?

Comment

you must remember Zoe is new to the disease and she has a UTI . The numbers you are seeing this early in the diagnosis is very good .My jesse was in the 500s . So i think you have to put things in perspective and be careful comparing zoe to your other dogs regulation process

Zoe is off to a good start yes i understand your worries but it takes time
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

No. Still can't figure it out.

From the curves, of course, it looks like 5U is not enough, however Zoe wasn't at all 300s just the previous day.

Between curves, I spot tested her usually at 1pm or 3pm, where I think the Nadir could appear.

177 - 06/01 3pm 5U
        220 - 06/04 3pm 5U
        220 - 06/07 1pm (orange curve next day, 06/08, see how high they are) 5U
        Increase to 6U
        287 - 06/10 1pm 6U
        345 - 06/12 3pm 6U

This is the 2nd round of the trend, as if insulin increases, BG increases. But, I said "as if", I really don't know. We started her on 4U, seemed on track for a couple of days, then BGs keep rising, got upside down curve. I increased insulin, again, seemed on track for a few days, then everything started to get high. Can't figure it out, unless I have to do curves everyday.

One thing I notice, she seems doing better at night than in the morning, I mean the night 12 hrs than the day 12 hrs, purely from my observation.

Comment

Re: NansPups - Zoe with her odd curve

Yeah its not unusual to see a dose increase and do good for a day or two then go higher . It seems like the body struggles to make use of injected insulin very well

Physical symptoms improving is positive and may point that your on the right path

It took almost 6 months for jesse to get to a more stable place
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

One thing you'll learn is what you expect and what happens can be very different, and with no solid explanation.
            I've had 2 or 3 different curve patterns for Riley, and he seems to be back to a bowl type, after months of a weird half mountain pattern.
            And his numbers are finally somewhat consistent and decent, after a year.

Sometimes it takes time for the body to figure itself out, and you just have to play along.

I increased Riley's dose to 8.5 units 3 months ago, and just now getting the better numbers.
            Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Nan's Pups View Post

No. Still can't figure it out.

From the curves, of course, it looks like 5U is not enough, however Zoe wasn't at all 300s just the previous day.

Between curves, I spot tested her usually at 1pm or 3pm, where I think the Nadir could appear.

177 - 06/01 3pm 5U
              220 - 06/04 3pm 5U
              220 - 06/07 1pm (orange curve next day, 06/08, see how high they are) 5U
              Increase to 6U
              287 - 06/10 1pm 6U
              345 - 06/12 3pm 6U

This is the 2nd round of the trend, as if insulin increases, BG increases. But, I said "as if", I really don't know. We started her on 4U, seemed on track for a couple of days, then BGs keep rising, got upside down curve. I increased insulin, again, seemed on track for a few days, then everything started to get high. Can't figure it out, unless I have to do curves everyday.

One thing I notice, she seems doing better at night than in the morning, I mean the night 12 hrs than the day 12 hrs, purely from my observation.
              I agree with the other responses that you are on the right track with physical symptoms improving and it appears that it takes longer for her body to adjust to changes in insulin.

Because she adjusts slowly to insulin changes, it might be a good idea to let the dose settle in and do a curve every 2 weeks instead of every week. In the meantime you can test at fasting and after 6 or 7 hours. Based on what her curves look like, you can adjust insulin up or down in .5 unit increments.
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I am just "spoiled" in a managing BG way. When MJ first diagnosed, I had a few bumps along the way, after all I was new, but that boy had a weak stomach and monster appetite, it's hard to increase BG on him, eventually, a couple of month later, his numbers set pretty good.

When Oliver was diagnosed, the vet started him on 2.5U, I didn't like the vet, didn't go back to him ever since, but I made my own decision, after 2 weeks I had gotten Oliver on 4U and was doing very well. I got him settled at 5U 4 weeks later and he's perfect.

Zoe, one month after being diagnosed, not as simple as the boys. She weights about same. 22lbs. Did not loose too much weight. I just feel sorry for the girl. She used to be such a trouble maker, now she's become this nice dog. I am guessing from being in the 300s and feeling horrible.

Comment

well you had 2 that were pretty easy thats a very good batting average

Just may take longer and it may not be as good as your other 2 . Just shows how individualistic this disease can be

Comment

Working...
                  X