Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Patty's Ali

Patty,
    OMG...Ali is beautiful! What a GREAT pic! I hope the antibiotics work well for her, and that the itching subsides as well. What we go through with our animals!! But none of us would have it any other way!! My best wishes to her for a speedy recovery. And I echo what Peggy said, you deserve a night out...hope it's awesome!!!
    Kevin
    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Thanks Linda, Peggy and Kevin. I did have a good night. It's funny I've gotten used to being home more due to my sweet wobbly diabetic and hubby having been gone for so long that I can't wait to get home and see how she's doing. I've become such a homebody .

She was high at shot time tonight - 340. She'd risen 100 points in 4 hours. I cut back her food just a tiny bit (7 grams) and left her insulin at 7 3/4 and she only got a 20 point rise before coming back down instead of 40 or 50 points.

Kevin, I read one of your posts on another thread about having taken Ozzi/Abby to the vet more than you've ever seen a medical professional in your life. It made me smile...I totally echo that statement and all the dollar signs that follow it.
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

What a great picture!! She looks so good - you'd never know how much worrying you've done about her recently.

Natalie

Comment

Patty,

Great picture of Ali glad you are in contact with Peggy's old vet

You deserved a girlie night out ( hope you were sober) Ha Ha

Hugs

Margaret
          Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Patty,

What a beautiful picture of Ali . Hope you enjoyed your night out. Hugs to you and Ali.
            Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

What a spectacular picture! She looks so soft!!!
              Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Hi Patty

Just wondering how Ali is doing?
                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Peggy, thanks for asking

She's still a bit itchy but not out of her mind anymore. The new antibiotic, Cephalexin, seems to be helping with the infection. I love that it doesn't have the same effect on her bg that Clavamox and Baytril do. The vet's office called today to see how she was doing.

We had an appt with the holistic vet yesterday. I need to update on that. I'm still researching what he'd like to address with her and don't have time now but will post more on that later.

-P
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Sooo, today Ali was running higher 260s still before her 2nd meal (which is at hour 4) so I decided it was a perfect time for a bath. I figured she was high enough I wasn't really worried about her dropping too far as she was going to eat right away. Then, late this afternoon she gets into an intense chewing session on her deer antler.

About 4pm I see her come in...sniff her empty food bowl - sniff the counter where her testing kit is - sniff the trash can - sniff the counter where I have chicken thawing 1" from the edge - sniff the bottom of the refrigerator. And I'm thinking she never messes around in the kitchen, I really need to test this girl...she was 52 on the meter , which is actually more like 80, and dropping.

So glad I was there to read her signs. I gave her some honey and a small snack since she's at the end of her curve. Guess I'll be paying closer attention on days like this.

Patty

Comment

It's so awesome how we are all so "in tune" with their behaviors. I don't think my husband would ever question moves like that with Soaphie - but if I saw her even take one wrong step - I'd be testing her. We just all know them so well and can read them like a book.

Good catch today with Ali!!!

Tami & Soaphie
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie's Mom View Post
                        It's so awesome how we are all so "in tune" with their behaviors. I don't think my husband would ever question moves like that with Soaphie - but if I saw her even take one wrong step - I'd be testing her. We just all know them so well and can read them like a book.
                        That's so true Tami!

Comment

Hey Patty,
                          I just found Ali's photo album and checked out her pics! I really love the one of her last month snoozin' on the table!! LOL You would think I'd discovered the photo albums before..duh..I keep finding new things on this site! Hope Ali is doing well with BG's and skin allergies...would love to get an update when you have a second.
                          Kevin
                          Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Thanks Kevin,
                            I'm a picture nut...and Ali and my nieces tend to be my favorite subject . I found some old pics today when I was working on another project and put them in her album for fun.

Ali's infection seems to have cleared. We had gone another week on the Cephalexin to be sure. I haven't seen any of the same symptoms she had and her blood sugar has evened out for me as well. I've been keeping a close eye on things.

She's had a long string of not-so-wobbly days lately, staying in good numbers (well that is except for one morning she got a partial intradermal injection when she decided to pop her front leg up in anticipation). Today's high so far has been 220, and that was for a brief period this morning. We did take her out with us on an errand this afternoon though.

She is dropping a bit more in the mornings before her 2nd meal, but I'm evening that out by adding some lentils to her 1st meal. We're almost there again.

She's still at 46.6 lbs. Up only from 46.4 a week and a half ago. I'd like her to be closer to 48 lbs. So, I'm still adding some food to her injection meals very slowly so we don't upset the balance too much.

She's still itchy but not crazy like before. Today seems to be a bit worse with rolling in the grass and rubbing her face. The hollows under her eyes are still there. I told the holistic doc we'd get back to him after her infection cleared so I need to contact him for a chat and decide if I want to use the GUNA mixture he recommended. I have a list of questions I want to ask...

I caught another picture of her curled up on the table on a windy day about a week ago.

I don't know if I've told the story here before but that table became hers when we lived in TX. They set a record that year for the most days over 100 degrees. We had an overhang over the patio but the concrete would get warm. I'd find her up on the picnic table catching a breeze and trying to see over the fence as the kids walked home from school. It was old and needed to be painted...plus it was cooler and pretty darn cute...so we let her be. We move that picnic table around the country just for her and she gets so excited when she sees it again. My dad and I finally painted it last year in NY so it looks good.

Take care,
                            Patty and Ali-girl

Comment

Patty,

This is all FANTASTIC news! I'm really, really happy to hear that Ali is doing so much better. It's so frustrating with the diabetics...one minor thing can easily become a huge issue in so many convoluted ways! It seems like she back on balance again, and I know how comforting that is! I really do hope the allergies/itching can be alleviated completely. I will be interested in how the GUNA mixture works if you choose that option.

In the meantime, that picture is too cute!! Ali is a doll! I see she has adjusted well to the Midwest...with some help from her picnic table...LOL! I'll definitely check out the new pics in the album (now that I know how to do it..ha ha!)

Keep up the great work with Ali!!
                              Kevin

Comment

I just checked out Ali's pics...they are really awesome Patty! That girl has done way more traveling than I have! I particularly liked the one with her sleeping next to the Christmas present...it's as if Santa came while she was sleeping!
                                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X