Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM

Default Re: New member Snowball

If this was my dogís readings, I would be happy because the numbers are all pretty good at most points in the day. I wouldnít care about the pattern being different. My dogís curve pattern has changed 3 times.

Iím more concerned about the inability to walk at certain times.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM

I think this might be it. I just watched a video of a cat that was similar. Problem with back legs and front legs folding up and b12 helped. So I just give like one capsule a day and they pee out what they don't use I read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
My Roxy is a bigger dog 80lb boxer but she was doing almost the same thing. She would start walking and fall over had a very hard time getting up. You could tell it was her back hips. I thought I was going to have to put her down.. well I was told to start her on

gnc methyl b12

It could only come from gnc. She takes two pills a day and she is doing so much better. We started her about a year ago on those.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:17 PM

We are going away last week of the month. Is it okay to premake shots for the week we are away?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 PM
Founding Member

The only problem that may occur is mixing the insulin in a syringe

Now people use insulin pens and they do suggest gently rolling the pen as with a vial of insulin that needs to be mixed so I dont see that as any difference from a syringe

So who ever is giving shots needs to properly mix the insulin as you would do with a vial

Do you not trust the person to take the correct dose from a vial ?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:59 PM

Last time he did it but he had hard time seeing the numbers so thought I would make it easier.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Founding Member

Yes i use some pretty strong readers to see the lines on the syringe .

The key is whatever works for snowball is all good
Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Not sure there's enough room in the syringe for the insulin to mix properly.

Maybe you could draw a line on the syringe for the person to see, or a piece of tape at the line, or black out everything under the line.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:39 PM

B12 seems to have done the trick. We were doing 1 pill a day and now half pill.

Is this a forever thing?
Old 04-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
B12 seems to have done the trick. We were doing 1 pill a day and now half pill.

Is this a forever thing?
I am going to keep my Roxy on it forever. Now there is a time or two that she didnít get it and she was fine. Sometimes I would find it on the floor or GNC was out of it etc...