Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Buster has diabetes and IBD

Occasionally Otis will turn up his nose at food.

Didn't used to bother me much until after his diagnosis. When Otis doesn't want to eat, nothing will entice him until he's ready. I used to be in panic mode when this happened because of his diabetes, but now know how to handle it. Doesn't happaen very often any more.

I'll leave the food down for about 15 minutes, then remove it. I give him 1/3 of his normal dose, and will "force feed" him a small amont of cheese. I'll continue to FF him a small amount of cheese or chicken every few hours until he's ready to eat again.

Fortunately, Otis has always been ready to eat by his next scheduled meal.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Thank you for answering me. I have been on here all day waiting.
I worry cause of the diabetes too. See he will eat the treats the vet gave us. I was think of changing food. He never turned his nose up to food until now. I force fed buster to but he does the same thing for the next meal. I am doing the cheese and chicken and the treats too. I am at a loss. I dont know if it is the medicine's side effects, something with his liver, or he just dont like the food anymore.
Did you ever hear of a dog not like his food anymore?

Last edited by debbie; 06-26-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie View Post
Did you ever hear of a dog not like his food anymore?
Oh yes, when Otis was first diagnosed he was fed WD canned while they had him on the IV's to get rid of the ketones and bring his sugar level down.

He seemed to really like it. He was never fed canned food before that, and had been on OM dry for about 10 years prior to.

Guess the "novelty" wore off after a couple of months and one day he decided he didn't like the WD canned any longer. In fact, he decided he didn't like any canned food. I started with the WD dry and he's been on that ever since. Seems to really like it. Of course it's always mixed with his brown rice / ground chuck concoction.

Like I said, he still has his "days", but they are few and far between, ... and, he gets a reduced dose of insulin until he eats a good meal.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:31 AM

That is like buster when he had changed foods when he first was diagnosed he was on w/d. Then he had his bout with ibd and my vet gave him i/d canned. He loved that. Then I changed him to blue buffalo and kept the i/d canned incase of emergencies. Now the i/d can isnt doing it for him either. So I dont even have that to fall back on.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Administrator

You can give Buster anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of his insulin dose if he eats nothing at all. Sometimes skipping a meal and just giving less insulin will ramp up the appetite enough by dinner time that they will eat. Plus skipping food can help settle the stomach.

It's hard to say why Buster is refusing food but in a dog who is not picky, it tells me that he's likely either not feeling well or, as you said, associates the food with not feeling well in the past.

If it's because he doesn't feel well now, he may go back to it when he feels better.

If he associates it with feeling bad, he'll probably never eat it again.

You can give him a few bland meals with the same number of calories if he will eat those - the chicken, baby food, lowfat on nonfat cottage cheese, and some rice. If you get some Metamucil, you can put a couple of teaspoons of that in to add some fiber.

But I would actually skip at least one meal, maybe two, just to let his stomach rest in case he is feeling ill right now. So don't try to force feed him. Just forget about food for 24 hours and give him the reduced dose of insulin.

I think you did this before once... ? If not, start with 1/4 of his usual dose and see how his blood sugar does. You can go up to as much as 1/2 but need to monitor the blood sugar at first to see how it responds to the insulin.

Let us know how his test results come out.

Natalie
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Yes I did the reduced dose before. I just dont like him not eating. I am also afraid of his test too. Also if he doesnt want to eat this anymore I need to find something else and you know with his IBD it is hard. Thank you for answering me.
I am going to the store cause I am going crazy in the house watching him and thinking. I will write again later.
I welcome everyones suggestions.
Love you all
Old 06-26-2011, 01:12 PM

What happens if I put the food down and he eats a little. Then what should I do with the insulin?
Old 06-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator

I vote for just skipping the food for one to two meals to give his digestive system a chance to rest.

Unless he's dangerously thin, there's no harm in missing a meal or two and it might improve his appetite.

Natalie
Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 PM

He keeps barking at everyone for some darn food.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Well, I have to think it will give him pause to turn down the next meal he gets after skipping a couple!

But it's also good for their system, especially ones prone to IBD, etc., to have a break. Skipping a meal or two could conceivably make him feel physically better later.

If you wind up feeding anyway, you will just have to guess how much insulin to give him. No one can tell you how much will work. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the usual dose can be given on an empty stomach - it varies dog to dog.

If he eats some, you have to pick a dose somewhere between 1/4 and the full dose and there's no way for me or anyone else to tell you how much it should be.

Natalie