Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Buster has diabetes and IBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie View Post
Morning update. Last nite I didnt feed

He wanted to eat. Gave him a little more than a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 5 pieces of chicken and about 1/3 of cup of his new food. He ate and wanted more but I didnt give him more. I didnt want to upset his belly.
Will be back later.
Great stuff!

I've never had Otis miss two meals in a row. Nice to know if it does happen it's not the end of the world and to just continue with the reduced dose of insulin until he is ready to eat ... and to be on the alert for a potential hypo episode.

Guess, I'd been assuming it would be an emergency situation if he went past missing one feeding.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

So glad to hear he has his appetite back, Debbie
Old 06-28-2011, 05:03 AM

Good morning
Well the yesterday was very stressful but I made it. I called my vet a couple of times before she called me back. But one time the girl who answered told me busters blood work did come in and had some out of range things and my vet will call tonite. Well that is all I needed to hear. I sat by the phone for 5 hours. Anyway she called at nite and said the only thing that was out of range was his glucose. I figured that would be one but I was thinking other things were too. She said all his blood work was perfect. She apologized a million times that I was sitting waiting for her. She said she would have called me if there was a problem. Anyway, she thinks that his belly was hurting from the metacam and comfortis and he was associating it with his food and that is it. So we are doing good so far. Been giving him cottage cheese, chicken and blue buffalo wildness. I am gradually introducing the blue buffalo. He is eating good. He would have more if I let him but I don't want to rock the boat with his belly. I am giving him the treats I still have from saturday from the vet in between. His sugar I am monitoring. So far it is not to bad
Now I took the laser treatment saturday for his arthritis and i see a slight improvement. So I think I am going to go this route with him. NO MORE pills for fleas or arthritis. I am going try to get him in there today for another treatment. I am sorry if anyone was waiting for me to write but my vet didnt call me till 6:30. She was busy all day and her partner was doing surgery all day. Again I welcome any suggestions. Also I guess I am going to bring back the case and half I have of the i/d I bought him. That was always my backup. But when this was all going down I used that with the other food. The i/d was good for when his IBD acted up. Now I have to find out what else she has for me incase of emergency.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 AM

Yea! Good ya Buster and you too Debbie

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM

I am back again. Well buster ate well the day I skipped his meal and by this morning which was has been about 2 days later he is back to eating a couple of mouth fulls and then leaving it. I freaked. His blood work is fine so the next step was I wanted an ultrasound. Call my vet and she got me in. I left buster with her and when I came back in she was waiting for me. She said before the test she was preparing herself to tell me bad news. She said he is fine. No tumors no blockage nothing. She watched him digest and everything is fine. Before she tested him she gave him a cup of food and HE INHALED IT. OK so now i look crazy. I told her I was giving him the 2 pills for his belly faithfully. She just dont know what it is with him. We bought new food on saturday and he ate whatever he wants and leaves the rest. I thought maybe that was it. Guess not!!! So she gave me some antibotics cause I asked her for it in case maybe there is bacteria or something that is bothering him (what do I know) I also bought a bag of the food she said he inhaled and wished for the best. Well guess what. Old buster boy turned his nose up again at dinner. First his blue buffalo and then I changed it for the other food and he did it with that too. He smelled I had some chicken to put in there and he was eyeing that. Later I put a cup and half of the blue buffalo with chicken in it and he ate about 3/4 of it. Of course he got all the chicken and some food. My vet says maybe his belly is still not right cause he must be ultra sensitive to the nsaids and it still bothers him but I just dont know. Now I bet if I put a whole bowl of chicken down he would eat it. (of course that is my opinion). So I know there is nothing seriously wrong with him cause we took blood work and ultrasound.
Has anyones dog done this. What is some suggestions. What could of happened to him.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Founding Member

My non diabetic dog has gotten fussy and I don't think he likes to put his face into the canned food. He is currently eating off the floor or from our hands.

What type of bowl did your vet use? was it elevated? My Dad's cat won't eat food off of anything that is slippery.

I've really been wondering if it is about the bowl. Dad suggested carpet and something to keep the plate from sliding.

just throwing some ideas out. These dogs are so smart, it's hard to tell
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM

I don't know what she used. Buster does the hand thing too. Yes is bowl is elevated. Thanks for suggestions
Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator

He might be trying to get something new out of you.

I also tend to think that novel situations can make a big difference in their response.

As an example, our behaviorist and I use the same training treats. At class one day, Jack was ignoring them from me but acting like the food in Sophia's treat pouch was the best thing ever. He knew what we have - it's what we always have - I need to find something else to use for a while. But who knows what the nice lady running the class might have!

The only other thing I can think of it some association with where he usually eats. You might try feeding him someplace different and in something different. Maybe get him a new bowl?

Natalie
Old 07-01-2011, 05:42 AM

I think Buster is playing you, (he sure is handsome)
Eddie trys that sometimes, sometimes I let him win, not often though. I can tell if he is playing or if he feels off.
If he feels off we go to plan B. If not, food goes down and I walk away, he looks at me , then at food, back at me then he eats ( I make sure I am watching out of the corner of my eyes never directly at him, like I don't care)
I feed him out of the big bowl I measure his food in, more room, seems appealing to him

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 AM

OK I changed his bowl and put it in a new place. Gave him chicken and blue buffalo. He has about l/2 and walked away. So then I put some of the food he inhaled yesterday in (Hills healthy Choice) and he ate that and some chicken and left the rest which was the blue buffalo. Then he went out to bathroom. Now he comes in for more food. Wont touch what is in the bowl. So i proceed to take out chicken pieces and put in the food from yesterday (that he inhaled at the vets which is hills healthy choice) and smelled the chicken and reluctantly ate it. After done he walks away then barks again. I try to give him the vets food from yesterday and he turned his nose up. Then i went to the other food the treat one from the first vet visit from the saturday and he ate and he eats them with no problem. OK I leave and he barks again. So now what do i do. I get both and put a couple on the floor and he smelled the one from yesterday and smelled the treatie ones and ate them and left yesterdays! What the heck am I suppose to do? He has IBD and what is in the hills is what we think he cant have because of the IBD. That is why we went to blue buffalo which has no grain, corn, wheat and etc. Now he is eating hills and I just know another disaster is going to happen. He is eating all kinds of foods. I know it is not good to jump from food to food everyday. Wont touch the wet food at all!!!! HELP Please. I just know he must be playing me and it is not good.