Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: New Member: 10 yr old JRT Maggie May

LOL! How cute! She looks a little like a member of Parliament in that small version of the photo...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Oh my goodness, I love that!
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM

Good evening to you all...it has been a while since I have posted. Just as my membership began with a moment of panic, I return to the board absolutely frustrated.

Things had been going fairly well with Maggie May until about 2 weeks ago. Maggie was having to be hand fed at feeding time, but ate it all and seemed normal. For about 8 days, she has been having high, like the meter reads "hi", at the end of the 12 hour insulin period. She drops to about 117-157 about 4 hours after the shot, but climbs back up to "Hi" about 7 hours later.

She has been to the vet twice this week. We feel that she has an infection. She was started on Amoxitabs, but they were not cutting it. She is now on Baytril.

However, tonight, 4 hours after the shot, her BG is 254. 5 hours after shot 311. We will definitely be sky high by the morning.

I am worried that this yo-yo-ing is going to damage her body.

Her urine tests on Saturday and Thursday showed slightly higher Bilirubin (3). Her vet said that Thursday's test was better than Saturday's. He said that her blood test didn't reveal anything alarming.

He has checked her over extensively. Her temperature has not been very high.

After over a week of peaks and valleys I am starting to worry.

Is it ever ok to give insulin after 6 hours instead of 12 during an emergency period?
Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Founding Member

jesse has always had a problem with dropping early and rising later what we ended up doing was splitting her dose right now i give her 1 1/2 units with her meal at 5:30 pm then give her the rest of her dose at 8:30 pm which is 2 1/4 this prevents the steep early drop and puts a little more insulin on the back side to slow down the rise then at 7:30 am she gets just one small shot and a reduced meal

it appears any overlap is minimal her morning shot is at the 11 hour point from her second shot of her split dose I could actually go later but work interferes with that

those steep drops are usually a problem with steep rises you may have to reduce the dose to get flatter numbers
Old 07-15-2011, 09:39 PM

Arrow Re: New Member: 10 yr old JRT Maggie May

Hi Amy - long time no chat!

Just curious - has your vet TESTED for infection? Where? UTI - urinary tract infection? I gather it's that. Have they done a culture-and-sensitivity test to determine the cause, and which antibiotic will kill the intruder?

Actually, your vet sounds very competent.

My vets always told me, when Kumbi had an infection and was on antibiotics - that it's a waste of time to check BG levels, because they fluctuate unpredictably during the time infections are brewing and occurring, and also, while the dog is on antibiotics.

So, my vets would merely have me hold Kumbi's insulin dose (and food) steady during times of infection and while he was on antibiotics. They had me wait till 10 days after he came off antibiotics before doing another curve.

Some people here on the forum prefer to watch constantly, and perhaps to adjust the insulin dose according to current readings. That's surely a personal preference; I chose to go with what my vets were saying.

Of course, if I thought I saw signs of possible lows, I would do spot-checks; I know my vets went along with that.

Hope Maggie May recovers soon from her infection! And that along the way, she starts feeling a lot better. Sometimes Kumbi required a double-course of antibiotics - as long as four weeks at a time! Diabetics can take longer to recover from infection.

Please keep us posted!
Fri, 15 Jul 2011 21:39:14 (PDT)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM

CarolW,

Thank you for the reply! He did not do a culture and found no obvious signs of a UTI in her urine test, but these are the same symptoms that we saw in her previous infections. They have never lasted this long.

He said that her blood tests didn't show anything alarming. In regards to her urine test Thursday, he said that some things look better and some things do not. There was some sugar in the urine, protein, white blood cells, slightly high bilirubin, etc. So, he changed her antibiotic to Baytril. Looking back, the last times that she had an infection we treated it with Baytril. I wouldn't have wasted 5 days with Amoxitabs if I would have remembered. But, then again, her tests weren't alarming.

I will be back at the vet next week. However, my vet is on a mission trip in Ghana as of today. I have confidence in the other vet and the relief vet fill-in (my sister in-law). Maybe they will do the tests that you asked about.

The Baytril (or good gracious, something else) is causing vomiting, not severe, but blurps (which has always been common for Maggie.

I am just terrified about these prolonged readings of "Hi" every 12 hours. It cannot be good for her system.
Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Jesse girl,

Thank you for the response. I have been tempted many times to split the dosage. However, for the most part, Maggie has been pretty regular.

She has some type of bacterial infection that has thrown her WAY off. When I return to the vet tomorrow or Monday, I will ask about a temporary split.

Her BG rose dropped from 311 to 262 in one hour. But, I would bet 20 bucks that we will be back at "HI" by 6:00 am. I am pretty much sitting up staring at her. That is not helpful either!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I too think a urinary culture is warranted vs. just a look under the microscope. A culture will tell you if there is an infection, what type of bacteria and which antibiotic would be effective.

Did the blood panel cover a thyroid test by chance?

Also I wonder if you could ask your vet about using something like pepcid for her stomach upset.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies. Maggie's BG started a decline at 1:30 am and was 288 this morning at 6:30 am, as opposed to the "HI" that I have seen at the end of every 12 hour cycle for about 8 days.

So, the Baytril has finally kicked in. I think that I need to buy it in bulk!

If the vet could prescribe anti-anxiety medicine for the parents, we would be a happy pair!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Amen!!!!! They should really prescribed us anti-anxiety.