Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Buster has diabetes and IBD

i have read ginger stimulates appetite and settles the stomach might want to research just something I read
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Good Morning Everyone
We have been somewhat quite on the homefront thank goodness. I have been on and off the site seeing what is going on. Thank goodness for all you experts. I would try to help some of the posts with my answers by they are not as good as many of you. Anyway, buster again is not eating for me. He is hungry but puts his nose up to his food and I start the whole circle of getting him to eat something so I can give him his insulin. He is presently on Nutrisacca (?) It is specially made for diabetic dogs. Anyway, they come in three flavors. Was on the lamb and chickpeas for months with no problem. Now I tried the salmon and chickpeas and he ate for 2 days and stopped again. ALL i have left is the chicken and chickpeas to try. Anyway, he seems to like the treats from hills that are a bigger piece of food. I am trying to think of a dog food that might be a bigger piece than these tiny ones we have been getting. Does anyone have any ideas. Of course he wants table food that is a given. I have to watch him though because he has Ibd too.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:36 AM

We're having a similar problem with our golden (not diabetic). She's been kinda picky which is totally unlike her and we think it's because the kibble is too small for her.

I think the larger soft mouth breeds need a bigger kibble, as you suspect.

We feed Buddy (our diabetic basenji) the Royal Canin diabetic formula. It is a prescription food, but the kibble is bigger. He was insanely well regulated on that food so I highly recommend it.

We used to put baby food (step 2 mixed veggies, green beans) and chicken broth in with the food to help make it seem like something more special than plain old dry. That was probably more for us, lol...but it seemed to work!

A Doggy Story
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. So I have to get my vet to give me a prescription for this food?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:52 AM

I just looked up the Royal Canine and I noticed it has corn. Buster also has IBD and I have to watch what we feed him. I need something like grain free. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
We feed Buddy (our diabetic basenji) the Royal Canin diabetic formula. It is a prescription food, but the kibble is bigger. He was insanely well regulated on that food so I highly recommend it.

Another advantage (?) of Royal Canin Diabetic Formula is that it makes HUGH poop piles! No trouble finding them in the lawn, you'll trip over them! LOL.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie View Post
I just looked up the Royal Canine and I noticed it has corn. Buster also has IBD and I have to watch what we feed him. I need something like grain free. Thanks for the suggestion
Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't realize!

I wasn't thrilled with the ingredients, but the results were amazing for us.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any grain free foods that are especially good for diabetics. We have fed the Before Grain stuff, and another one I can't think of the name of...I'll see if I can find it...

And yes CraigM - da poops are nice and firm!

A Doggy Story
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Founding Member

I know when I took some of the Blue Buffalo grain free in for my vet to look at he thought the fat content was too high. good luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Hi Debbie,

Does he eat better if you embellish the food a little with something or does that not change his mind?

Natalie
Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM

Hi Natalie. I missed you. If I put goodies in it he eats the goodies. I went out and bought some other food and he ate it for a couple of days and now he is throwing up. His IBD kicked in. I am right giving him I/D and nothing else. I am at square one with him. I have to find a grain free food. I am thinking about BK grain free.
His arthritis is bothering his back legs when it gets cold. His sight is going too. He is getting old on me.