Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Re: New member Snowball

I raised to 2.5U this morning and was planning on doing 2U at night and 2.5U in the mornings. I thought that might help her be less sluggish but it seems like she is more alert when the levels are higher. At 1045pm she was walking a bit. In the morning from 615am to 7am before the insulin injections she was walking and then its like 3 hours or more before she decides to get up and walk although she is still pretty tired regardless lately.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:05 PM

369 at 6:21PM.

She ate all her food tonight. Still sitting on the ground. I noticed when carrying her in from going to the bathroom that her nails were really long so I trimmed them the best I could. We have a dog clipper but I've used it maybe 4 times in the 11 years we have had her. i thought maybe that was given her some trouble standing.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 AM

322 at 6:22am 2U was given at 8pm last night.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:13 AM

2.5U given at 7am 315 at 9am.

She was walking fine at 6:15 when we got her up, well as good as she walks at this point, she ate her food standing up went and peed and pooped and by a little after 7am she couldn't stand again. She walked a little last night too. I squeezed her bladder so she would pee this morning when we got to work as it will probably be 30 to 45 minutes before she starts to stand again.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:07 AM

283 at 11am.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM

301 at 1PM. I'm giving 2u at night and 2.5u in the morning. I'd like to bring up the night to 2.5u and then do the day at 3u and night at 2.5u etc to try to move the levels down slowly to the 80 to 250 range. How slow do I need to go?

Last edited by robl45; 10-17-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
301 at 1PM. I'm giving 2u at night and 2.5u in the morning. I'd like to bring up the night to 2.5u and then do the day at 3u and night at 2.5u etc to try to move the levels down slowly to the 80 to 250 range. How slow do I need to go?
looks like from the numbers you posted that they have stabilized and you are not seeing those big swings at least to the higher side .it appears for the most part snowball is not going into the 400s and higher

So your thinking about raising the dose a bit . Not to much causing instability but to get the overall trend a bit lower and the 200s would be the next goal . I do like the idea of raising the the dose at one 12 hour period making smaller adjustments

Now you can raise in quarter unit adjustments . Just split the difference between half and a full unit and with small dogs that maybe helpful

You have done a wonderful job with snowball I think we are all cheering snowball to get well . It does seem like she is holding her own (knock on wood )

Last edited by jesse girl; 10-17-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:45 AM

I think they are a bit better, yesterday was hard to tell because she ate later which caused a dip in the blood sugar earlier. I can't do 1/4 units as I don't have a line on the syringe. I see pretty well, but its hard for me and the wife to hit the 1/2 and full marks, let alone try to figure out what is 1/4. But how long do I have to wait to make the adjustments. Can I go tonight and do 2.5 U instead of 2U and then do tomorrow 2.5U and then tomorrow night do 2.5U and the next day do 3Units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
looks like from the numbers you posted that they have stabilized and you are not seeing those big swings at least to the higher side .it appears for the most part snowball is not going into the 400s and higher

So your thinking about raising the dose a bit . Not to much causing instability but to get the overall trend a bit lower and the 200s would be the next goal . I do like the idea of raising the the dose at one 12 hour period making smaller adjustments

Now you can raise in quarter unit adjustments . Just split the difference between half and a full unit and with small dogs that maybe helpful

You have done a wonderful job with snowball I think we are all cheering snowball to get well . It doesnt seem like she is holding her own (knock on wood )
Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Founding Member

I use some powerful readers to see the lines . No there is not a mark but you get a feel with setting the dose just above the line or below or right on it

now if you feed less food you may have to give less insulin and may magnify when you get to a higher dose so something to be aware of

I edited my comment she seems to be holding her own

Last edited by jesse girl; 10-17-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:34 PM

Might be best to give the current doses 3 or 4 days, just to see what ranges she will produce, as they won't be the same every day. Better to wait and make sure nothing unusual happens with sugar readings.

Then make the dose change, but remember, don't expect improvements or different readings the first day. Always give a new dose a few days, to let the body adjust and process it properly, and then you'll see the true range of numbers it will produce.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.