Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Re: New member Snowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
I would tend not to think its anything to do with blood sugar with what you posted at 150 to 200s for most of the day . It sounds neurological in nature which can be difficult to figure and may need some expertise in that department . Some have used vitamin b for leg weakness but i dont know how effective that is

so snowball is in no pain ? No unusual panting ?

My Roxy is a bigger dog 80lb boxer but she was doing almost the same thing. She would start walking and fall over had a very hard time getting up. You could tell it was her back hips. I thought I was going to have to put her down.. well I was told to start her on

gnc methyl b12

It could only come from gnc. She takes two pills a day and she is doing so much better. We started her about a year ago on those.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 AM

So she got her shot at 7pm last night with her food and this morning at 8:30am she was walking around like a normal dog. Fed her at 8:30am and gave her the shot and almost immediately after eating she can't walk. I literally pick her up and she just falls down like her legs are jello. This happens each time she eats. Last night about 3 hours after she got the shot she was walking around. Previously a number of months ago she was doing this but it was almost constant for most of the time until we got her food to a consistent portion and then her numbers stayed basically in the 1 to 200 range. Her numbers are in this range now and I'm kind of lost at what to do. Obviously the food is spiking the blood sugar way up, but why didn't this cause a problem for november December and January?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Founding Member

So you are seeing the loss of the ability to walk after eating and insulin shot

what kind of numbers are you seeing with these episodes ? Its kind of like jesse when she had grand mal seizures from epilepsy . completely incapacitated for 10 or 15 minutes and then normal a half hour later . The way i looked at her seizures was triggers that would cause them and loud booms were a trigger for her

Now for snowball you are looking at triggers for this episode. It happens at meal and shot time . So is it possible snowball is having a reaction to the shot and or insulin ? Is food a problem ? When jesse had pancreatitis meal time could be a painful time and last could blood sugar be a problem for that you may need blood sugar at 500 or higher or low sugar below maybe 50

You have to eliminate pain as a problem and may need pain medication to determine that by giving snowball pain meds and see if the episode occur or does it lesson it . Another factor is it a struggle to feed snowball ?

You have commonality, shot and food time . now you need to figure what in that commonality is triggering that episode
Old 02-24-2019, 01:06 PM

I think it's mostly the eating. Normally in the morning I feed her and she gets the shot like 45 minutes later when I leave. I been trying to give it to her at same time as food to see if that might help. It does not appear to be. I have her 3.75 last night and this morning instead of 3.5. At 230pm she read 150 or so. None of the reading seem crazy. She just eats and then can't move for awhile.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Founding Member

So you probably eliminated that it has anything to do with blood sugar and diabetes

You believe the trigger of the episode is directly correlated to eating but are you sure its numbness and not pain . If there is pain or discomfort after eating its probably a digestive issue if not it maybe neurological in nature but why would the act of eating cause that which you would think would happen at any time ?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
So you probably eliminated that it has anything to do with blood sugar and diabetes

You believe the trigger of the episode is directly correlated to eating but are you sure its numbness and not pain . If there is pain or discomfort after eating its probably a digestive issue if not it maybe neurological in nature but why would the act of eating cause that which you would think would happen at any time ?
There does not appear to be any pain, she just falls over. Now she is walking a bit again. She is not arching her back or getting upset when people touch her or anything like that. The behavior is also exactly the same as what happened previously although not quite so severe. Before she was like this most of the day, now its typically two to 3 hours after eating.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Founding Member

Do you understand what seizures looks like ? seizures dont have to look like grand mal in nature . You may want to look at videos on line with dogs having seizures

Jesse use to get 1 to 2 seizures a month . She would have a seizure fall over and be immobile until it passed and be perfectly fine after . She was never in pain . Hers was grand mal in nature so there was no doubt she was experiencing a seizure
Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 PM

Definitely not seizures. She has none of the symptoms but she is getting worse. Basically like back in October now. Not able to stand and use the bathroom. I have half normal food and half science diet that the vet recommended for diabetes to see if maybe that would help.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Founding Member

Positive thoughts for snowball that she can bounce back .
Old 02-24-2019, 07:25 PM

I honestly don't know what to do. The levels appear okay although they do tend to go up quicker than id like after 1pm or so.