Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Lightbulb Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

If I may, suggest a Sticky please, as a noob to the dog diabetes forum, the sticky being types of Glucose Meters used, which would encompass the type of Lancing device used, where the best place is to take the blood from and finally the setting (number) used on the Lancing device on the area it is taken from.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Poll: How and Where You Test Your Dog's Blood Sugar

I think a thread on lances, lancing devices used and setting, meters used, and where tested would be good.

Just keep in mind that it won't tell you what will work for Penny. What works varies significantly from one dog to another.

There are some general things that can be said, such as thicker lancets usually work better and certain meters have established a reputation as working well generally.

I would ask people to simply report their experiences for what works for them rather than "recommending" anything in particular.

I try to keep Sticky threads to a minimum only because it pushes active threads about specific dogs so far down the list. But I think the testing thread could be useful.

So, all, if you'd like, go ahead and respond to this thread to describe what you use and how you test blood sugar with your dog.

Maybe start with just the facts in a simple list so it's easy to scan:

Where you test on your dog
Lances used (brand, gauge)
Whether you use a lancing device
Lancing device brand, model
Setting of the lancing device
Meter you use

Some things are interdependent. For example, lancing devices don't always work when testing thicker skin like the back at the base of the tail. And different spots on the body would likely require different settings on a lancing device.

Please take time especially to report the gauge of your lances and brand and the lancing device brand.

Thanks!

Natalie
Old 07-02-2014, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Poll: How and Where You Test Your Dog's Blood Sugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post

Where you test on your dog
Lances used (brand, gauge)
Whether you use a lancing device
Lancing device brand, model
Setting of the lancing device
Meter you use
Ginnie has very thin elbow callouses which work well for testing. I use Relion 31 gauge lancet in Easy Mini auto device set on 5. We are currently using a Relion Prime meter as this is all we have. I know it's not a good meter, but will alert me to highs and lows so I can get an idea of what is going on. I intend to get One Touch meter as soon as I can do it financially.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Alpha Trak 2 meter, Freestyle Lite test strips (Alpha Trak 2 test strips for curves), carpal pad.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:32 AM

One touch Verio (Australia) with one touch strips. Base of the tail, clipped
Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM

Exclamation Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Time to find a new vet. That was one of the first questions from my vet when Skipper was diagnosed. "Do you want to test at home? We use AlphaTrak 2 and here is how we do it", etc.

I test the inside of the ear. Vet clipped the hairs for me.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:35 AM

I'm in total stress right now too. Bear was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes. His BS was 639. But I need to find a new vet asap. No clear explanations at all were given to me about the disease and how to manage.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Poll: How and Where You Test Your Dog's Blood Sugar

Hi, new to this forum, my Jack Russell 11 yrs just got diagnosed with diabetes... We are still this first week muddling thru the home testing with a device we got ..true touch it's fir humans but my vet said it works same..having a hard time getting blood thru ear..which is the ONLY place Jujube..will allow is to try...we have to do it several times...surrounding him with toys and distracting him...he is not sleeping at nite, and is very restless..last week he was at 385 and now after a week of 9mg shots he us at 157 so it's going down, but now he has no appetite and we have to really work on finding foods he likes...baby food has been successful, I am hoping he gets better soon ...and this is how it is in the beginning adjustment period...any advice or comments would be appreciate..like I said we are really stressed during this whole thing ..not wanting to make any mistakes with jujube..thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 AM

Hello and welcome to you and Jujube

yes its important to feed Jujube something he will gobble up .

what was he eating before being diagnosed? You might try it back again.

You can go to your local pet food store and see what they recommend.
dogadvisor.com is another place to look.
I test Riles on the inside of his upper lip. Keep trying you,ll get it. Glad your home testing.

how much does Jujube weight?
what food is he eating?
what insulin is he getting?

Do you have a recent curve to post. Thats taking blood at fasting before meals and injection then every 2 hours after for a 12 hour period.

Its important to be consistent. Same time for injections after food every 12 hours, same food, same exercise.

were here to help with any questions you have

Mo
Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 AM

Hi and Welcome

I also test my dog on the inside of the upper lip and it is so much easier for him and me. I get blood every time and he does not mind it at all.

Good Luck
Mary