Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Angel Scooter... August 31, 2013

Soooo sorry for your loss of little Scooter. All the little things in your post are so true and cute. The things that give "our pup" their own special personality. Hope you remember those things, and treasure your buddy Scooter. Run free, little one, run free.

Jackie
Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM

i so sorry for your loss..i must have missed this, this weekend..i cant even wonder what you are feeling right now..just know that he is now in a better place and running all around..... he knows how much you loved him and he will never forget it..hang in there......
sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Eileen,
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Loved reading through your post and your love for Scooter is so apparent. My heart goes out to you...
Patty
Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 AM

Oh Eileen all I can do is cry right along with you. I am so very sorry.

Pam
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Founding Member

I'm so sorry, its so hard, our diabetic doggies are so special, the loving the care, words can't express.

Dolly and Angel Niki

Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Hi you guys,

I keep coming back here and reading your posts. A couple of moments these past few days I felt like I was going crazy from grief...like how come the world just keeps going on...but it does. I was shocked at the depth of feeling of desperation.

I walked Rudy today (the neighbor's Maltese...8 years ago I found him the home he is in now) and it was good to have a little Maltese by my side. When I got to his house I picked him up and gave him some belly rubs and kisses and he wasn't used to that. Normally, I just rattle the gate and he comes out charging through the doggie door and off we go. This time he got some special hugs and he was like...hey, lady...lets get walking! What is your problem? He walked 2 miles! He has a great family and they love him to pieces. I am his dog walker. I thought about not going today, but he still needed to go for a walk and I didn't want to think of him not getting his walk today. It did my heart good to look down at the little guy and know that life will go on.

I wasn't sure how I would feel and we are all different (like Craig says) so I just got on with it. Scooter would want that. But it isn't easy....here I am on this site....trying to stay connected.

Your posts are so heartfelt and appreciated.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
Perhaps I wonder it is because of the level of care that we give them, we never set them free, as we do children. We never have to prepare them for the world, and be dependent... as they will always be dependent upon us for all of their lives.

In addition, once they become diabetic or perhaps any health issue, they are that much more dependent upon us, if not for us, they would not survive. I think we disillussion ourselves and think we can fix anything... and are heartbroken when we can't. The funny thing is, that they go on each day... and live each day to it's fullest, and never worry about tomorrow.

Spot on Barb, great post.

Tara
Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 PM

What more is there to say, Barb. Beautiful sentiment.

I didn't realize until today, the first day in the house alone, how much time we spent devoted to one another. I feel lost without my little man waiting to see what was coming his way next throughout the day. Dinner? Walk? Playing ball? Watching tv? Nap time? (NAP was his 2nd favorite word.) Ice cube? He even liked it when I said: Time for your shot! And he warmed to 'let me check your gums'. He did it without resistance (even after the first feeble attempts).
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM

I remember that state of mind well Eileen. I was at work after we lost my mom dog Abby and was watching people go about their day wondering when would I ever feel normal again.

When I returned home that night and was sobbing in my bed I was struck by an analogy. I came out and told my husband it is like we are standing in our house and everything looks ok from the outside. Then we turn around and realize there are only three walls and a huge gaping hole where the fourth wall should be. We were no longer complete or safe.....

It is so scary because you honestly don't know that you will get through the pain. I think part of the pain for me before was not wanting to feel the waves of grief, and fear that they would never subside. It was a blessing and a curse when I lost my 3 shorthairs within the space of 2 years. The blessing was because of the quick succession of each animal my psyche was able to learn the lesson that I do survive. I think when there is a big span between grievings then we forget that the pain will lesson.

Now instead of running or fighting the feelings I just try to soften to them.

And by the way, we love it when people stay connected....that's what I am doing, and Patty and Holli and many others. We all wish we still had our dogs with us, but even without them we can still help others by being here.

Tara
Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM

Thanks, Tara.

I know you understand.