Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Arrow Re: Border collie Jack

Oh, Natalie; you are SO understanding of what a dog's needs are! i love it that Jack needs his ritual even if Jeff isn't leaving the house!

Congratulations to you, Jeff, on your retirement. I looooooooove being retired (but am busier than ever ).

Hope all goes well for Jack (and you); will drop in here to check from time to time.

Big hugs to you and Everyone Else!
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Border collie Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
He is going through a transition right now. Jeff is retiring from the police department and so has been home part of every day for a few weeks now as he uses up his accrued vacation time. Jack LOVES having him home more. But it is throwing off his routine, and if there is anything Jack treasures after food, Greenies, and outings, it's routine!

Still, every time Jeff leaves the house, he has to go through the pre-work play routine they had when Jeff was leaving for work. Meanwhile, I can come and go with a Greenie and a "See ya later Buddy!" LOL Jack misses the play opportunity so we have to be sure and make time for it if Jeff isn't leaving the house during the day. He is the most ritualistic creature, two-legged or four, that I have ever known.

Natalie
This brought a smile to my face and helped me to know Jack better. Feel like I just spent 1/2 Hr with him.

It reminded me of Sunday mornings with the shorthairs. They would know it was Sunday because no one would be jumping up to go to work. They would get up on the bed and be still until my husband started to ever so quietly sing the song "Would you like..... some puppy chow? Would you like some puppy choooow.....now?"

They would pop up like someone had lit a firecracker under them at the first "Wou...." sound. Then it was just guarding your face. Most times I was up for it, but some times I wished he had waited a bit longer. Of course we couldn't communicate that to each other as the dogs were holding their breaths for the first syllable.

Tara
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubytuesday View Post
It reminded me of Sunday mornings with the shorthairs. They would know it was Sunday because no one would be jumping up to go to work. They would get up on the bed and be still until my husband started to ever so quietly sing the song "Would you like..... some puppy chow? Would you like some puppy choooow.....now?"

They would pop up like someone had lit a firecracker under them at the first "Wou...." sound. Then it was just guarding your face. Most times I was up for it, but some times I wished he had waited a bit longer. Of course we couldn't communicate that to each other as the dogs were holding their breaths for the first syllable.

Tara
Tara... your husband is adorable. What a great story!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
He thinks he's a terrier and somehow he's gonna dig his way down into that hole and pull out the squirrel...

Jack is not a camera fan so it's hard to get him to hold still AND look into the camera.

He's so cute, look at those big brown eyes wondering what you are up to.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 08-30-2013, 12:26 AM

Hey Natalie

Did you ever check out allergy, s with Jack.

Hoping for cooler weather..

Being retired gives us lots of opportunite to explore espescially with us seniors eh!

Mo and Riliey
Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Dolly, I'm pretty sure, at least in that picture, that he's saying "Please put the scary noisy disruptive vacuum cleaner away and bring me a Greenie!!!"

I don't think Jack has allergies, though you never know. Our diabetic, Chris, definitely suffered from arthritis-like symptoms in response to allergies. He eats a highly varied diet.

Certain kinds of exercise make him sore and long periods of exercise also. He has been that way since we adopted him. He also has really loose joints. His back paws often fold 90 degrees so they are resting on the dew pad. He may structurally just have problems that aren't identifiable.

I personally think there is something with Jack's back right hip/spine. It's always the one that develops a limp. We know he has two bad disks in his back but they aren't necessarily the cause of the pain, or may contribute to that along with another cause.

I need to capture his look on video when he's staring intently at Jeff while Jeff eats cheese or peanut butter... so intense and so cute at the same time.

Natalie

Natalie
Old 09-03-2013, 05:51 AM

Love those pictures....talk about "focus"...
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Founding Member

Poor Jack, it's sad he can't get around & run, he's in a good place with you.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Dear Jack,

Happy Birthday (6 years old) and Adoption Day!!

Five years ago on October 13, 2008, I first laid eyes on you literally dragging an SPCA volunteer across the street to their Thrift Store, where I was meeting the adoption coordinator and meeting you!

Jeff came over and we walked you down the street a bit and you paid absolutely no attention to us! I confess I was a little worried about whether you would bond but the SPCA coordinator promised me you warmed up quickly once you got settled in. And you did.

Now... good grief, you want nothing but our attention! LOL You're snuggly even.

We adore you buddy and are so glad you came into our lives.

Natalie
Old 10-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Founding Member

happy birthday jack your still just a young pup and having fun

you guys make a great family glad you made that step natalie