Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Soaphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
I'm running the Savannah Marathon next weekend so that means "dad's on duty" as I'll be gone all weekend...therefore I'm feeling quite guilty given all Soaphie is going through. I know he will do fine with her - I just feel bad putting it all on his shoulders.
Hoping things went well this weekend Tami! (I ran 4 miles this morning...I admire you're ability to run a marathon as that was my limit).
Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
Hey all,

I didn't see all these responses / recommendations before heading to the store. I ended up getting her Nutro Ultra Senior.

She is allergic to several things - mainly barley, green pea, wheat, rabbit, pork, kelp.

fingers crossed for dinner tonight!

UPDATE: I just went and purchased a small bag of the Stella & Chewy Beef Dinner patties as well. They also gave me some samples of Honest Kitchen.
Hi Soap,
Niki did well on Nutro Ultra Senior for years along with her veggies.

Dolly and Angel Niki
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Hey All!

Thanks for checking in. I just got home. Soaphie, of course, struggled with eating this weekend (starting Friday evening - first meal with me gone). Husband did all sorts of variations in the feeding process to get her to eat....and adjusted insulin as needed given the quantity she actually did consume. She started limping a bit a day or two before I left and Erik said she limped a little when she would get up this past weekend....but when I got home this morning, she seems to be getting around ok.

Marathon was awesome - my number one goal was to get through it uninjured (as I have been having a "niggle" in my heel/ankle area that I was a bit nervous about)....I finished with a PR by about 10 minutes for this distance - so was very very happy about that.

Thanks all - will keep you updated with Soapher's eating....
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Congrats on the PR in the race! Sounds like the husband did a great job - lucky you and Soaphie. Does she take cosequin or anything for possible joint pain?
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM

Congrats on the marathon!
Hope the new food goes over well with Soaphie.

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016
Old 11-15-2013, 02:44 PM

How's Soaphie doing, ... the new pain meds helping?
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:04 PM

Limping / favoring back leg still. Consulted with vet - added back in 1/2 deramaxx pill in the a.m.....will see if that helps at all.

We walked around the block just now as she HAS to get out and get some fresh air. Was short - but full of lots of things to smell.

Thanks for checking in!
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Glad she got to read the doggy newspaper
Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM

How's Soaphie's mobility? ... Better, I hope.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Hi!

Thanks for checking in. I have been here lurking - just haven't posted

Soaphie is doing well (knock on wood..knock knock knock).

Regime is as follows:

A.M.
1/3 cup brown rice (eat as an appetizer) then 1 cup of the Nutro Ultra with a little water.

zrytec
1/2 deramaxx
1.5 tables of tramadol

Insulin of 8-9.5 units (her needs are fluctuating quite a bit)

P.M.
Food same as above

1.5 tramadol
1 gabapentin

Right now she has a UTI so she is taking cephalexin for that. Her limping isn't present right now (KNOCK - WOOD), a little slower to get up from a seated/laying down position. Appears her hearing is starting to diminish. Right now completely blind, and partially deaf.

She and sista Syd got showers yesterday - which is becoming more and more of a challenge with them - they aren't as easy to bathe as they once were...

Thanks for checking in!!! I will post Syd's update on her thread.

Tami and The Blue Hairs...