Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Declining need for Trilostane over time?

Patti - others here will be much more informed about interpreting test results than I am, but my understanding is that the goal is to get the second result in the range of 1.45-5.4, so that result is very high. The flow chart in the Vetoryl pdf in the forum's files makes things fairly clear: http://www.dechra-us.com/File/vetory..._Flowchart.pdf

Carin
Old 04-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Interim CC

Hi Carin. You are right that those numbers are high because Jesse hasn't started treatment and is still being diagnosed. "Normal" dogs cortisol levels are 22 or below so that number is high but not "way high". The 1 to 5 numbers that we talk about are the goals for decreasing cortisol in cush dogs.

Cush dogs need way lower cortisol levels than others dogs since their poor bodies want to keep producing it. Hope this makes sense. Kim
Old 04-25-2009, 07:50 AM

Hi Kim. I replied to Patti's question on this thread without catching up on Patti and Jesse's story in their own thread. Going over to read that now...

Carin
Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 AM

Hi,

So should the lower number be from 1 - 5 ??

I'm sorry I looked at that flow chart, and I'm confused, I'll look at it again.

Oh My Lord, I can't believe you guys understand all of this.

Two vets said (no three) that they would start Jesse on low dose trilostane. (Not that any of them have used it) Oh BOY

Thank you all
Old 04-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Interim CC

To answer Patti's question, the basal or pre draw number is of little value when interpreting the acth stim test for monitoring of treatment. The normal resting or basal range is usually 1 to 6 (depending on the lab) and anything above that can usually be attributed to the stress of being at the vet's office. It is the post draw that you want to be within the 1 to 5 range, ideally anywhere between 1.5 to 4.5.

Glynda
Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks, Glynda. Patti - don't worry about this, I'm just processing Duncan's experience after long treatment - but my vet is clearly somewhat concerned about the drop in Duncan's basal level over time. My impression was that he was worried that if his basal level was so low, he would be more prone to an Addisonian crash, and that the low basal number suggested we might be approaching a point where the adrenal gland wasn't functioning. But I will clarify that with him next time we talk.

Carin
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Interim CC

Hi Carin,

You made a very good point about monitoring the basal number for purposes of determining possible Addison's Disease or Addisonian crisis. I failed to mention that. If resting/basal cortisol is low (less than 1) and the dog has no or a very low response to stimulation, then Addison's is a good bet.

Trilostane definitely affects aldosterone levels so it is very important that electrolytes are checked every time a stim is done. This is absolutely critical if acth stim results are too low for comfort.

Glynda
Old 04-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Carin -

I'm jealous. I wish Zoe could be on a much lower dose. She's on the 180 bid. I think it's interesting what you describe has happened with Duncan. I had hopes last August when Zoe's consistently stubborn numbers took an unexpected plunge. Similar to Duncan's - a pre of .7 and a post of 1.6. She'd never had anything close to that before, always 5-ish to 10-ish, once even going back up to 13-something. So you can imagine my surprise. She WAS acting strange, but I never dreamed it was from too low cortisol. But it was.

So we did do a dose reduction.....all the way down to 150 mg. bid It was short-lived.....but it lasted a few months which is better than none. By Nov. she'd crept back up to 9. We didn't change her dose tho'. Then just about a month ago, we retested and her post was well over 10.....so this time we decided it was time for an increase and back to 180 mg. she went. So it's the usual roller coaster with the Zo.

The only thing we can say for sure is > All the dogs are so different. You just can't predict anything with any of them. But I'll keep my fingers crossed that Duncan is headed for a remission! Zoe has a long way to go, I think, to reach that point! Sue & Zo

Last edited by zoesmom; 04-26-2009 at 10:24 PM.