Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Hank

He's definitely happy to be home! I've got him out walking..albiet slower than molasses at times...several times a day to get his strength back up. Blood sugar is still wonked out but that's mostly due to the fact that he's supposed to eat more than twice a day at this point because of the pancreatitis.

His eating is doing ok for now. I've got him on half Hill's I/D and half Solid Gold... both wet foods. The Solid Gold is highly recommended on the dogfog advisor site but is considered below average in fat which is a lot harder to find than you would think! So far so good. Could go to you know where in a day or so when he gets tired of eating it but we will see.

It's amazing how excited I got yesterday when he actually came to the door to greet me and barked at me! LOL Normal dog behavior! LOL But he hadn't gotten up for me coming in yet and that was the first time!

Slow but sure I think. I'm thinking I may do a curve tomorrow. We've a follow up with the head vet on Friday...just want to check in with them and have them look him over. AND talk about this food/insulin thing. Freaks me out to give him insulin without a meal first even tho I know his bg is high and that he'll eat wtihin the hour or so. NEED to get that settled with the doc.

So all good! One day at a time! Hugs!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 PM

So glad he is improving each day.

Yeah, The insulin and food set up would definitely make me nervous as you don't know when he will decide he isn't going to eat that combo.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Arrow Re: Hank

Go, Hank, Go! Keep up the good work, Shellie! Looking good!
Sat, 6 Oct 2012 23:17:15 (PDT)
Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Yea that he greeted you! Gotta love that!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 PM

Shellie, I haven't been on the board much recently, real life and all that, but was so sorry to see in Hank's thread how ill he has been SO thankful to read though that he improved so much and is back home with you...what a relief for you. You are such a good pup-mom! Hank is lucky to have you.

Shadow and I send our best wishes and puppy karma that things stay good for Hank and he continues to have good health. His video is so cute...he just bounces along
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 AM

Glad to see he is improving every day !! It's being home with his mum!
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 AM

Thanks all! I AM still so glad to have him home! He slept a lot today but it was rainy and he only got one walk in so with me being droopy myself, I'm sure that made him droopy too. Back to our usual routine tomorrow.

He's still eating! Albeit not on a reg schedule which freaks me out but he did get some low 100's today. He's back up to 400's tho so this is going to have to stop. I'm checking ketones like a madwoman so at least that's ok. I figure at this point, it's probably more important to baby his pancreas than it is to regulate him. He's got an appointment with Dr. M on Friday for a followup so we'll talk then. He'll be finished with his Baytril and Amox by then as well. I'm sure we'll both be glad when that is finished.

He's such a good boy tho...takes his pills with no trouble...blood testing with no trouble...what a trooper! I got lucky!

Hugs!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM

Good boy Hank - 100's are good, despite the 400's. Maybe with the ending of the antibiotics he will see less 400's as well. Love that he is such a sweetheart with everything - one unconditional boy you have there Shellie! Think he may have stolen my heart as well - lol!
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM

Holli..then we're even cause I adore Decker!

Yep...will have to have a GOOD talk with the vet...Hank registered over the meter earlier! I have to think it might have also been due to the end of the insulin bottle. He was on his fifth week with it so it is time. I just spent $84 on this bottle of hum N! I'm sorry...but Hank will be switching over to Novolin next month! I dosed him a bit ago so will see where we are....oh...I could do that before I even finish this email! LOL BRB! Ok...well, he's dropping...down to 564 in an hour. I'll check him one more time before bed. *sigh* Wish I could fix this! But he's still recovering so I'm sure it will be awhile. He's still on the meds...baytril and amox too...it's probably all combining to make him utterly unstable. Poor little guy!

He did do very well on his walks today! More pep in his step every day! Yay! Hugs!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Hi Shellie

Glad to hear that Hank is improving a little every day but the high numbers are a worry for you. It's really difficult with pancreatitis having to give them small amounts of food on a regular basis and the meds also throw the numbers off. Hang on in there you are such a fantastic mum to Hank and your other babies! You will get him through this.
Can't believe the. Price of the insulin - Caninsulin is approx 40$ which lasts - well is meant to - last a month.

Hope you get some rest with all those furry bodies!
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.