Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Maggie

My Maggie is a golden Lab who just turned 9. She has arthritis in her back left knee and was taking Rimadyl She stopped walking and collapsed so I took her to the vet who doubled her Rimadyl. Three days later she was throwing up all night and would not eat anything. I took her in thinking it was the Rimadyl but it ended up being diabetes and pancreatitis She was hooked to an IV for 4 days could not give her much insulin as she could not eat or drink.
Diagnosed with diabetes Dec 30th 2011 and pancreatitis.

She is recovering from the Pancreatitis but still lip licks and seems a little nauseous to me. I have been cooking her food. 2 cups rice, 2 cups boiled chicken, 2 hard boiled eggs. 3/4 cup all bran. and 4 tums.

I started (once she started eating with 8 units of humilin N her first curve was 1/13/12
6:30 A.M 472 2 cups food and 8 units
8:30 388
10:30 376
12:30 430 1 cup snack
2:30 466
4:30 502
6:30 526. 2 cups and 8 units
The Vet changed it to 10 units and we did another curve last Friday 1/20/12
6:30 372 2 cups food and 10 units
9:30 232
12:30 291 1 cup snack
3:30 390
6:30 432 2 cups and 10 units
The vet changed it to 12 units and said we may be getting close. I will do it for a week and try a curve next Friday.

She has had the runs occasionally and overall just doesn't feel good, she lip licks and licks her legs a lot. The vet says hopefully once she is regulated that will stop. I wonder sometimes if it is the food. She really doesn't like the w/d hills and the vet says because of the pancreatitis things are more complicated. Well that is where I am at. It has been scary at times, Sometimes I wonder watching her suffer if I should go on but we have made it this far. Once we are regulated I have to figure out what to give her for her arthritis. I have been trying Zeel it is a homeopathic route, We shall see.

I have been using the truetrack meter and Maggie weighs 70 lbs now (down from 84) but 70 is a good weight.

Has anyone else had to deal with nausea? I have been giving her pepsid ac but not sure its doing any good.

Last edited by Diane Roehm; 01-29-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add dates
Old 01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Maggie (I've cried a lot)

Welcome to the forum. I can't write much because I'm not home and I'm not all that good typing on my iPhone. Just wondering why you are giving the mid day snack? As you can see it seems to be causing a jump in readings afterwards. Are you giving it due to the other health problems?

I'm sure others will check in with you soon, and I'll be home in a few hours to use my computer.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Founding Member

jesse and me have been down the same road as you she had severe pancreatitis, ketoacidosis and became diabetic she also had uterus infection which they operated on during all this if i could use a word for the experience was brutal oh i forgot to say she is also epileptic.

today jesse is happy and healthy chasing rabbits and just enjoying life that gives you a perspective on how far things can change it can take some time and it did .

i decided to go with a partial raw homemade diet instead of prescription i dont know if it was the best approach and we will never know because we did not do a comparison and of coarse that would be impossible but today with all her challenges she is doing well. it took 6 months to get to a point that i considered she could make it.

so food is a personal choice the prescription has a track record because its widely used some good commercial foods has had some success probably the homemade is the most difficult to judge success because of so many different variations which is what we decided to do . what may work for one dog may not work for another so you have to make that choice.

i have used the true track and it was very acurate below 200 getting above 250 it could be widely off she could read 350 on the true track and in reality she was in the low 200s so actually while i used it her blood sugar would appear much worse than it really was so my next meter i picked up was a one touch ultra which had better results at a higher range i also used the walmart relion which read close to the one touch and the prodigy auto code which we use now which has no track record as far as comparison but has worked well for jesse .

snacks has worked well for jesse for flattening out her numbers by slowing down her drops when insulin is at its strongest they say insulin needs to be fed the snack you are giving maybe a little late to the party giving it when insulin is weaker which can lead to higher numbers at fasting remember its not when food is fed it when its digested and turned into sugar . the snack maybe better timed between 8:00 or 9:00 it may need to be fairly carby we use a milkbone which can get into the system at the same point as when the major part of the drop is beginning and slowing it down dogs can be very sensitive to drops and can respond back up from the bodies internal reserves of glucose. timing type and amount can make a world of difference so it take experimentation and sometimes the most healthiest does not work the best

its great your home testing compare your meter especially at higher ranges with your vet and maybe get another one for backup and be able to compare

a big welcome to both of you and ask anything
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM

No other health problems. The Vet told me she likes them to have afternoon feedings so I do. I did not notice that. I am really new to all this. Thanks for pointing that out, That is why I posted it so someone who knows more than me can comment.

I will ask the vet about that on Monday.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 AM

Thank you Jesse, good idea about the time of the snack. I have been a little concerned about the meter I have been using from posts on here so I will try another as well. You guys are great!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Welcome to the forum! You will find good support and great suggestions here.

I wonder about the afternoon snack, too. Our vet had us eliminate the afternoon feeding when Ruffles was dx with diabetes. I'll be watching to see what your vet says. IMO, if Maggie needs the extra calories, maybe add 1/2 cup to the AM and PM feedings with veggies and a bite of meat in the afternoon; find some things which would not raise her BGs like the cup of food seems to do.

She is definitely responding to the insulin, which is good. You didn't mention the date whe was diagnosed with diabetes, but I presume it was recent. Will be watching for more information as things move along.

Mary
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Diane,
Welcome to you and Maggie. It's good to hear she is back home and on the road to recovery even if not 100 percent yet.

It's great that you are home testing so early on. As far as meters, I like the OneTouch Ultra2 (Amazon carries one for around $20 including shipping vs. the $60 of most retail stores). The Alphatrak is another good meter made for pets but the test strips can be quite expensive. The NovaMax Plus has been working really well for some people also. They have a free offer right now http://www.novacares.com/dconnect0711/

I get my test strips on ebay for about half the cost. Just watch for factory sealed boxes and good expiration dates. I know others use Amazon as well to save some money.

Quote:
I have been cooking her food. 2 cups rice, 2 cups boiled chicken, 2 hard boiled eggs. 3/4 cup all bran. and 4 tums.
Is Maggie taking any vitamins or supplements with her meal other than the Zeel for her arthritis?

What was she eating prior to diagnosis? I'm wondering if her homemade diet is similar in calories?

Likely the vet's reasoning for an afternoon snack is due to the pancreatitis. Smaller meals throughout the day are sometimes recommended is these cases. But I agree the noon time meal looks like it is driving her numbers upward. You might try moving it to 8am if you are available to do it then.

I do wonder what's happening into the evening without the same snack at night. If you could get a couple of readings after her PM injection that would be nice to see.

Do you also test her fasting numbers before injection each day? Not everyone does but it's something I recommend. It can help identify when things are starting to go off track, such as an infection process, allergies, pain related issues, etc.

Quote:
Once we are regulated I have to figure out what to give her for her arthritis. I have been trying Zeel it is a homeopathic route, We shall see.
I haven't used it myself but know some people have had good luck with DGP (Dog Gone Pain) http://www.dgpforpets.com/DGP-Ingred...nd-Usage.shtml

Take care,
Patty
Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM

She was diagnosed Dec 30th 2011. Things have been so overwhelming all I do is worry that I am doing something wrong. Not turning the insulin right, not injecting it right. She really doesn't like the rice that much so I changed the recipe to more chicken then I realized that probably wasn't a good idea. Uggg. I like to feed her in the afternoon I know she is hungry. Changing it to chicken would help because it would not go into her bloodstream so fast right? I am not sure about the diet the vet has her on but I know she is really worried that the pancreatitis would come back. I have some w/d dry I want to start mixing in with what I am feeding her. Not sure if I should do that. I get so nervous about changing stuff now. Thanks

Last edited by Diane Roehm; 01-29-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: entered the wrong date.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Back home and able to type a little better here than on my phone!

It's really great that you are home testing! As Jesse Girl mentioned, it might be interesting to compare your meter to your vet's. You'd probably want to do both tests within just a minute or two of each other, and in the same manner you would at home. I not familiar with your meter, but most human meters read lower than what you'll see from your vet. For now your meter is probably just fine.

Maggie's 12 units is about average for a starting dosage. Many here think 0.2 units per pound is a good starting dosage. Of course every dog is different! Maggie's other health problems & medications might also affect how much insulin she needs now, and might change in the future when the other problems are cleared.

I'll be reading Maggie's "story"!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Thank you so much! I have not given her any supplements was thinking about adding some dry w/d to her formula for that reason. She had the pancreatitis return and it was so bad, wasn't sure if she would survive so I think the vet is being real careful what she gives her. She told me no more oral anti-biotics if Maggie ever needs anti-biotics she will send me home with injections instead. the anti-biotics were making her throw up. I know she is being really careful and I am glad, just trying to do the balancing act for both. We I found out she had diabetes I would check her before she ate and change the insulin then the vet told me to stop doing that. keep it at one number for a week and do a curve then see where we are at. I will get some evening numbers for you without a snack. Thanks so much I was feeling so overwhelmed.