Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Default Soaphie the sophisticated is an angel October 29, 2015

Hi there!

This is my first post.

I have an 8 year old bernese mountain dog / border collie mix that was diagnosed with diabetes at the end of July (2008). Up until this time Soaphie lived a healthier lifestyle than the majority of the people I know. She would run with me 3-4 times a week (including a long run of 9 miles....sometimes a little more), healthy food and snacks were veggies and fruits. Healthy weight etc.

So....

We have been on Vetsulin since July and have had an EXTREMELY difficult time getting regulated on this insulin....HIGHS...LOWS (including the horrific experience of a seizure).

Has anyone else gone through this with Vetsulin? Help! Thank you!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Soaphie

Hi and welcome, Soaphie's Mom!

Please tell us more about Soaphie. Know Bernese are not small dogs, but since insulin goes according to body weight, how much does Soaphie weigh? Are you working with one shot a day or two and how many units is she getting? What are you feeding Soaphie and when?

The more you can tell us about Soaphie, the easier it will be for us to try to help you. There can be many causes for highs and lows with insulin--in order for us to talk with you about what might be causing Soaphie's problems, we need you to tell us as much as you can.

Kathy
Old 11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Founding Member

Hi and welcome.
Kathy has already started the questions and we do ask a lot. The advice given really will depend on your answers. Soaphie's weight, food and insulin amount and how often will all make a big difference.
Jenny & Buddy
Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Fast response! Thank yo

Soaphie currently weighs 59 pounds (down from a healthy weight of 68....but up from a low of 49...my poor baby). She eats twice daily - Wellness Venison and Rice (didn't switch to WD because she has some food allergies we are dealing with as well that FINALLY cleared up with the Wellness food). VERY limited snacks - maybe a couple cherry tomatoes - but we try to be incredibly consistent with her food since we are having such a tough time getting her regulated).

As far as treatment: Glucose curves....boy oh boy have we done glucose curves. I couldn't even begin to count. She has spent so many days at the vet - I've asked them to post her name on one of the exam room doors "This room sponsored by Soaphie".

Soaphie had a seizure a few weeks back at which time we took a big step back on the units given to her and then built up. As of last Friday's curve - I believe the 8:00 a.m. was 250 after fasting about 14 hours (I was ok with this number) - then gave her 11 units - I can't recall the draws during the day, but the final draw at 5:30ish was 330 (too high in my opinion as then she would have dinner and another shot and her blood sugar would climb even higher for a few hours).

SO - today we did a fructosamine test (results tomorrow) as well as a blood glucose test. She was in the low 300's again this morning. The vet mentioned today the possibility of switching insulins. I asked what she was thinking of switching to and she was possibily PZI.

Everyone at the vet's office said in all their years of working there they have never seen a case as difficult as Soaphie's.

So - current is 11 units twice a day. I'm very anxious to get her fructosimine test results back tomorrow...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Hi and welcome

I know there are definite opinions about the kind of insulin.

Apollo has been on Vetsulin from day one (we are starting his 3rd year in December)
anyhow -- I am super picky about his schedule - when he eats, gets his insulin etc.... not sure if that has helped but... so far pretty good.

others will be along to give input. good luck

Debbie
Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Founding Member

Hi,
You are very welcome. 11 units isn't a great lot for Soaphie's size but all our dogs are certainly different. Buddy is only a little over 11lbs (5 kilos) and he gets 5 units of Humulin N twice a day. We started with Caninsulin (Australia's version of Vetsulin) and had great success for nearly 4 years so I know it is a good insulin but sometimes a bit pricey especially for the larger dogs. Your numbers are not so bad, a lot of us struggled with much worse numbers early on. How long has Soaphie been on insulin? Food plays a bit part of regulating and sometimes the type of food and insulin just don't match. A lot of us home blood test so it can be much cheaper and convenient, that is something you can investigate later. When you say seizure are you meaning a Hypo?
Jenny & Buddy
Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Founding Member

Hi and Welcome,

My dog is Border Collie/Aussie maybe some Heeler in her.

I had a hard time getting her regulated, I think it's her breed, she in her 7th year now as a diabetic. She was really bad off before she got diag.

You'll get lots of help and info here, without the board I don't know what I would have done, I was frantic for answers with my baby.

The vet had me coming every week $$$$$ and was not helping and made matters worse, found a new vet.

Anyway, welcome again and here is my link here to Niki's story, anxious to see a picture of your dog.
http://www.k9diabetes.com/storynikid.html
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Last edited by eyelostit; 11-13-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Yes - hypo on the seizure. At that time she was on 14/12. A couple weeks ago we were at 12/12 and a blood test one morning was 115 which I thought was too low considering it had been 14 hours since she had eaten. Ugh. The struggle continues.

Soaphie is pretty much "sedentary" now as well - no longer running since I don't want to throw off her blood sugar. It breaks my heart as I would do ANYTHING to run with her again.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 PM

Test post to see if Soaphie's picture shows up...
Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Founding Member

LOL I guess we all were posting at the same time
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday