Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

We're still new to this, but I've been checking on my cockapoo's paw pad...the one that's not really on the paw, but up higher. She freaked when I tried on the inner ear, and there's no way she'd let me do it on her lip.

BUT, after only a week, she comes to the kitchen when she hears the lancet click, and sits right down. She doesn't like it, but she knows she gets lots of love when it's done!

I test in the am before breakfast, before I leave the house, when I get home, dinnertime and bedtime. OCD rears it's ugly head!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:27 AM

On my newly diagnosed mini-schnauzer, who is still being regulated:

Where you test on your dog: Tail, on the top side, which she doesn't react to. If I use the sides of the tail, she reacts. I started with the inner lip, as advised by the vet tech, but that quickly went downhill after several pokes that didn't result in blood.

Lances used (brand, gauge): The kind that comes with the Alphatrack2 monitor.

Whether you use a lancing device: No - it came with the Alphatrak2 kit but I never tried it - a light poke works fine.

Meter you use: Alphatrak2.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Administrator

I am bringing a few useful polls up to the top of the list for new members.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Maggie's mom!
Just diagnosed a few days ago. Very scary because my girl dropped quite a bit of weight.
Trying to learn as much as I can as quick as I can. Your info is a lifesaver to me. I am
Using alpha trak 2 but am having trouble getting enough blood for test and wasting
Strips. I just ordered the advocate meter but I bought from Amazon so may have paid
To much. Is there a conversion chart for dogs from humans so you can use the cheaper
Strips ? Am looking to find out good recipes to make Maggie to keep sugar lower as well. Thanks again for all your help and info. Linda
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM

Where do you test on your dog: On the lower lumbar region (Vet inserted a sensor) and on the inside of his ears, towards the tips.

Lances used (brand, gauge): The kind that comes with the Freestyle Lite monitor. Plus the one that is inserted - Freestyle Libre.

Whether you use a lancing device: Yes - with the Freestyle Lite.

Meter you use: The Freestyle Libre (which is a constant blood glucose monitoring device) and the Freestyle Lite

The Libre only got inserted yesterday at the vets and was calibrated. However finding quite a large difference between the Lite readings and the Libre sensor. For example this morning's reading: Libre 370+ (20.9AUS) and the Lite 235+ (13.1AUS).

Have emailed my vet to see what to do about that.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 AM

Started DJs first glucose curve today using alphatrak. Took sample from ear, it was surprisingly simple. Fasting bg was 546; fed him and gave 9u novolin. One hour bg reading is 346. Will keep posting and hoping for lower readings!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:55 PM

I put a warm washcloth on Daisy's ear and use the Relion 26 gauge lancets with the Alphatrak2. I ordered the Advocate Pet monitor but we're so new at this I'm afraid to use it yet.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:45 PM

I test on the ear using a warm wash cloth and then a dab of Neosporin Ointment. The Neosporin helps to keep the blood from flattening out. With the AlphaTrac2 only a smidgen of blood is necessary.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:43 PM

Where: the tip of her tail...at the end of it...anywhere else and she gets too mad at me...lol

Meter with lances: One Touch Verio Flex....it has Bluetooth to connect to my devices with graphs so I can show my vet when We have our appointments.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Lily, Bichon. We use Alpha Track and I use the end of her tail. Works every time