Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Tomorrow is our first full curve day, she absolutely has hated the other times I've tested. I've tried lip, tail and pad. I am thinking of trying ear tomorrow. I hate to hurt her and I have to prick her so many times tomorrow. Any suggestions would be great. She is a 16 lbs Lhasa Maltese.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 AM

I use the AlphaTrak 2 and I test her on the end of her tail. She will not let me touch her anywhere else...took a while for her to get used to it. I started with a small towel and covered her eyes while she laid on her side. After a few months, I did not need the towel because she got into the routine of Test = Food....
Old 04-18-2017, 03:02 PM

Thank you. She hates the end of her tail, she yelled and fought the whole time. I've tried everywhere but it seems her upper pad on her front feet work the best. She is still totally freaking out and hates me for doing it, but we have to get this under control. Her reading have been terrible today and I'm at a total loss.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:35 AM

Sorry new here..I'm still learning. It has become IMPOSSIBLE to get a blood ssmple from my hound ..it is so traumatic for him and he had a horrible beginning in his life. so lots of anxiety anywaay... So has anyone tried the 33 gauge lancets? There's a lancet device called delica one touch and it uses a 33 gauge lancet.I don't know if that would make it less painful or not. Thank you again sara

Last edited by saravalentine; 05-09-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 05-12-2017, 02:26 AM

We use the delica one touch but we use the 30g lancets. So I guess that doesn't really answer your question very well.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM

I use my dog's inside upper lip to test him. Is that a good place?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperb View Post
I use my dog's inside upper lip to test him. Is that a good place?
very good place
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 07-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Hello
I'm late to the post

Where you test on your dog: his ears
Lances used (brand, gauge) - One Touch or Genteel
Whether you use a lancing device: Genteel ... I found this device from another group I belong to. This was a lifesaver as I could get little blood from regular lancing device
Lancing device brand, model: as above
Setting of the lancing device: #3 on Genteel.
Meter you use: Alpha Trak 2, One Touch mini
Lhasa Apso 10yr old, 5 months diagnosed, Vetsulin, on Prednisone for autoimmune (IMHA, IBD), 15 lbs, on homemade diet of roasted chicken/green beans/smidgen of spaghetti, psyllium and BalanceIT supplements.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:02 PM

Suzie-ears, 22 gauge needle, Alpha Trak with Alpha Trak strips and Freestyle Lite strips..I also have Relion and Bayer but not predictable on Suzie.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=290160427

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=811447094

Last edited by bichons9; 09-02-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: error
Old 09-29-2017, 08:15 AM

I use the Genteel lancing device - so awesome! I use Toby's old man elbows- the callous. He doesn't even mind. . I tried it out on myself. Doesn't hurt at all.
Until I get him regulated, I'm going to use the alphatrak2. It's cheaper than going to the vet for curves!
Jennifer