Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

As mentioned in my previous post, I used to use his ear, but started having trouble getting good drops. Switched to his lips. Try to switch around to different sides and different spots. Get great drops and he doesn't mind the stick at all. Even tested him in his sleep the other night and he didn't even wake up! He doesn't have elbow callouses....I think I spoiled them too much all their lives with too many cushy places to lay lol
Old 07-06-2015, 03:04 PM

Wink Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Three years ago when the vet suggested I test Toto at home, I purchased an Alpha Trax. I was terrified I was going to hurt her. I tried pricking her ear several times without success. I actually gave up and put the Trax away for months and let the vet do it occasionally. I was lucky Toto never experienced hypoglycemia with possibly too much insulin.
One day I saw youtube video of an owner demonstrating how he checked his Yorkie's blood from the tail tip.
I immediately tried it, and it worked! I keep that area clipped and I poke her with using a lancet only (I don't put the lancet into that pen like utensil that you squeeze a button and shoots the lancet for you). It so easy for me and Toto. As I stand, I put Toto on couch with her body against me, grab her tail and squeeze it a bit and prick it quickly (she even sits down for me on the couch) and "voila!"
It takes seconds now for me to do it. I test her in the morning after eating and evening after eating. It is an invaluable tool to have if you have a diabetic dog or cat. I hope this helps somebody out there.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:12 AM

I use only a lancet so there is no click sound.
Bg is done on any skin tag. There is no feeling in a skin tag.Just poke and wait a second for a bead of blood.
I use Relion Confirm meter since it requires just a tiny dot of
blood. I do use a human to pet conversion chart for readings.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM

Ann Renee L. ---Where do I find the conversion chart for human to dogs, have just purchased a Relion Prime,

Thanks, Charles
Old 08-28-2015, 01:43 AM

I use FreeStyle Lite and a lancet to prick the inside top edge of Gigi's lip just above the canine tooth, alternating sides. I tried many suggested places but never managed to get blood from anywhere else and she doesn't mind the lip prick. The FreeStyle strip also requires a teensy weensy bit of blood, a dot barely visible is enough.

Last edited by icaru; 08-28-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: add info
Old 08-29-2015, 05:20 PM

Thank you all so much I will try the lip and pray that it . Should I skip her shot tonight? Her reading was
74 went up from 49 after eating and a little honey.

Last edited by Maggiemay; 08-29-2015 at 05:50 PM. Reason: wanted to add her reading to the post for more info
Old 08-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Founding Member

if you can get the numbers above 150 within an hour of normal shot time you can give a dose but with little information i would probably cut that in half for tonight

you may want to reduce the dose in the morning and see where your at maybe higher but who knows you might see good numbers with the reduction
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 PM

I use Genteel, a lancing device that is TRULY painless. Babies who are asleep cannot feel it. I use it above the tail area and he does not even notice it. Love it!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM

I use the lips, upper and lower. I use Accucheck Lancets and the Accucheck meter
Old 10-31-2015, 11:34 AM

I just started testing Winnie's blood sugar at home ... and I am struggling. The vet showed me how to do it on her carpal pad. At the vet's office she did wonderful. At home I have to muzzle her (as she snaps during shots) and the two times I have tested her pad she has yelped and jumped ... so I do think there was some pain. She is now running from me when she sees me coming.

I am using the PrecisionGlide Needles size 25G5/8 which the vet says are smaller than a regular lancet. Testing on her upper lip isn't an option since she is somewhat aggressive during shots. Testing the carpal pad isn't working because of pain and the fact that she hates having her feet touched. I'm nervous about trying the ears since I read so many scenarios where it wasn't effective for dogs ... and I don't want Winnie to be an experimental pin cushion.

Any suggestions for making the process easier? Is there a more pain-free way? What are the best other sites (excluding the ears, lips, and pads)? Any help is appreciated.