Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Jasper - Advice needed please

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum but not new to dealing with a diabetic pet, having home checked & given insulin injections for around 6 years to my cat who sadly passed away in 2011 due to cancer. She was a steroid induced diabetic.

I have a 5 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who underwent surgery last year to have both his ear canals removed due to flaked skin in his eardrum causing infection & rupturing his ear drums. He was given steroid injections & further steroid tablets for around 3 months, I did ask if they could give him anything else but the answer was no, so here we are again with another diabetic due to steroids.

We knew what to look out for and a couple of weeks ago noticed him drinking a lot more water than usual but not urinating anymore than usual then last week his appetite was ferocious so I decided to be on the safe side to check his BG's and they were 25 mmol/I (UK) 450 mg/dI (US)

We went to the Vets today 3.30 pm (UK)who said we should feed him is regular meal before hand which we did. My husband who is good at testing & giving injections but does not understand the disease asked the Vet if we could feed him a light meal later tonight ( I was not in the room at the time) and she said yes, so my hubby is insistent that I give him something to eat now 8.40 pm (UK) I am reluctant to do so but he is getting insistent.

I know there is a difference between a cats metabolism & a dogs but do not know sufficient to be able to put forward a good argument. Apart from the fact I don't think it correct to feed him again.

Tomorrow we will start the regime of 5 units 7am & 5 units 7pm

Please if anyone can give me advice I would be so thankful, I am getting myself stressed now.

I have a lot more questions but this is the important one for now.

Thank You! so much if you can help.

kind regards

Hilary

Name: Jasper:

Breed: Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Weight 13.8 kg

Insulin: Caninsulin Cartridge

Method: VetPen

Dose: 5 Units Morning & Night

Monitor: OneTouch Ultra

Last edited by jasper2008; 02-06-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Advice needed please URGENTLY!

Welcome to the forum.

Usually, two meals per day along with the insulin injection. since you are just starting today, you can probably avoid the debate with your husband tonight and give a small meal, but that is NOT the normal procedure. Get on the normal 12 hour schedule tomorrow.

How much does Jasper(??) weigh?

Craig
Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 PM

By the way, Natalie, the forum owner, will likely be along soon to approve your membership. Until that happens, your posts may be delayed a little before they show up on the forum. We do this to keep the forum free from spam.

Craig
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Thank You! so much for replying Craig. Jasper will be pleased & so will my husband. Just read my post & omitted to say he had an injection of 5 units at the vets which after all is the most important part of my post.

Sorry about that I think that may make a difference to your reply, I thought I had mentioned the insulin doh!

many thanks

Hilary

he weighs 14.8 kg
Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 PM

I still think as long as you get him on a 12 hour routine starting tomorrow things will be fine. Just don't give any more insulin after todays late meal (probably too late for that advice since it's already 10:30pm (2230) there)

14.8kg = 32.6 pounds, so the 5 units is a conservative starting dosage. Every pup / situation is different, but you will likely take him back to the vet in a week and likely increase the dosage a bit.

Many here use the One Touch Ultra and think it reads dog blood just a little low. Of course, the readings seem closest to true down around 5 mmol, and a little higher at higher readings. Many just go by the meter reading, others might add something like 1.4mmol to the meter reading to compensate for the error between dog and human blood. (Example: if I saw 100mg/dl on my One Touch Ultra, I'd add 25mg/dl and record the test as 125). Sure wish the U.S. would conform to the rest of the world!

BTW, if you would ever like to change the title of your thread, just mention what you'd like, and a moderator can change it for you.

Craig
Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Hi! again Craig Thank You! so much for all your help. I have a few questions if that is ok?
If I want to post again with questions about controlling Jasper etc do I post another thread or continue to ask in this thread, I have checked the FAQ & can't seem to find an answer to that.
I don't want to start off by doing things wrong lol

Oh! I posted Jaspers weight wrong it is 13.8 kg. My mind was all over the place & still in shock I think at having another steroid induced diabetic .

thanks again Craig

Hilary
Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2008 View Post
If I want to post again with questions about controlling Jasper etc do I post another thread or continue to ask in this thread, I have checked the FAQ & can't seem to find an answer to that.
I don't want to start off by doing things wrong lol
You want to keep posting in this thread, Hilary. That keeps all your stuff together. That way it's easy for members to reference what's going on by reviewing your history of posts..

Whenever you post, it bumps your thread up to the top so most will read what you posted.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Last edited by farrwf; 02-06-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:12 PM

Hi Hilary, don't worry about doing things wrong! The moderators are great here and can merge your threads or even rename it if need be.

They usually try to keep all of a dog's history on one single thread. That is why they sometimes move or rename threads.

welcome, Tara
Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks! for the replies farrwf & Tara, I thought that may be the case, it is better to keep everything together. I didn't want to start off on the wrong foot as some moderators on other forums can be rather difficult if you inadvertently do something wrong lol. It's getting very late here in the UK & I am up at 6am to feed & give him his injection. I have loads of questions mostly about the difference between a cat & dog's metabolism that are insulin dependent but they are going to have to wait until tomorrow.. thanks for the warm welcome & reassurance & it is great to be here getting help & advice..

see you all tomorrow

Hilary x

Last edited by jasper2008; 02-06-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Hi Hilary,

Welcome to K9D! I have not had time yet to respond to your post in more detail.

I think the species differences relative to diabetes are really interesting! And fortunately, especially with dogs, they tend to work in dogs' favor in that dogs are pretty tolerant of high blood sugar. The main, very common side effect is cataracts.

Neuropathy is actually fairly rare in dogs, usually only if their blood sugar has been very high for a considerable amount of time or if they already have some kind of problem with communication across the spinal cord, in which case the high blood sugar layers over the top of the other problem.

Caninsulin is the starting insulin for dogs in the UK so that's good. Dogs metabolize insulin more slowly than cats (but faster than people) and generally do best on intermediate types of insulin such as Caninsulin and Isophane.

And they are Type 1 diabetics generally as opposed to Type 2 like cats. So they virtually always must have injected insulin for the rest of their lives.

In terms of testing, dogs' ears don't always bleed as well as cats' ears. If you need some other places to test, take a look at www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html.

Those are the main differences.

For more information, take a look at the main website, www.k9diabetes.com. There are a number of pages of general information about diabetes in dogs, insulin, etc., plus links to other resources: www.k9diabetes.com/complinks.html.

Natalie