Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:34 PM

Smile Snickers 3rd Sugarversary and 18th Birthday!

Snickers passed her 3 year milestone for surviving diabetes earlier this month. As a bonus she is celebrating her 18th birthday this week! We do not have an exact date - she was dropped off at the shelter right after she was born and we adopted her when she was 6 weeks old - so we assigned the week before Christmas as her birthday.

Not surprisingly she is slowing down and sleeping a lot. Recently she lost the ability to get up on all fours on her own unless she puts in a hurculean effort and is on a non-slippery surface. Snickers still goes for a walk every day and seems pretty content. We recently took two trips with her and she did great - I think the stress is just enough to energize her and the change does her good.

Snickers and I wish everyone a safe and happy Holiday Season!
Old 12-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Help! I accidentally gave my dog too much insulin!

Wow what a nice update . I think snickers is the oldest dog on the forum with diabetes . I think nibbles was 17

To have such an older dog to begin treating diabetes and continue 3 years later is a testament to snickers tenacity for life and the good care she receives

congrats
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 12-18-2018, 01:42 PM

Happy Birthday to Snickers! Well done
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 12-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Happy Birthday Snickers!!!!
Old 12-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Wow, 18 and 3 of those years with diabetes is impressive!! Happy Birthday!!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 PM

Happy Birthday to Snickers!

18 years old and 3 years diabetic, ... huge KUDOS for you two!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Wow, 18 years even without diabetes is impressive. Just goes to show that diabetes doesn't need to negatively affect their health if well managed.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:39 AM

Snickers wants to thank everyone for the birthday wishes! I would also like to thank everyone on this forum because I don't think she would have made it if we hadn't found this site.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Snickers passed away yesterday evening at home, surrounded by her family.

She had pancreatitis in February and never really got her strength up after that. There were good days and bad days but eventually she lost her ability to walk any meaningful distances, even in the house.

She held on until the family gathered for Easter weekend and very much enjoyed "being with the gang" on Saturday. On Sunday, we knew her time was coming, although she never wanted to admit it. She fought to hang on until the very end and we were there to support her in her final transition.

Even though I knew this day would come I am still overcome with grief. Snickers was a dog like no other and I miss her so much it's hard to imagine I will ever recover.

I just want to thank everyone again for the support and information that is offered here. Our family gained an extra 3+ years after her diagnosis and we are forever grateful.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Founding Member

Snickers was amazing being diagnosed diabetic at such a senior age and continued for 3 years after that . Snickers was the oldest dog i have seen on the forum with diabetes . It shows the great care you provided and snickers zest for life making a great team . having all the people around that snickers loved and was close to is just a joy . She will be missed
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number