chewy brussels-griffon 7yrs old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chewy brussels-griffon 7yrs old

Trying to get blood from his ear and due claw proved to be difficult. Not enough blood to check using glucose meter. He is hard to control with my wife holding him and me sticking him manually. We have been successful with the insulant injection. The next thing is to shave ahead of his tail. Shaving is going to be interesting. His injection 5 U 2 times a day. Still drinks a lot water and has go outside 4 + time a night. We have an appointment in 2 weeks with the Vet. If we cannot get a glucose reading should we continue till then?

Re: chewy brussels-griffon 7yrs old

Hi and Welcome

Have you tried testing on the inside of the upper lip? Right above the canine tooth. Doesn't bother my dog at all and I get plenty of blood.

Mary
    JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum

i too use the upper lip beside the big tooth produces more blood. I did at first shave to the right rear of his tail and test.

can you give us more info on your Chewy? So we can collect some data to refer back on.

weight
      type of insulin
      When was he dx
      how old
      male or female
      what size lancets are u using

i personally wouldnt wait too long to see the vet again if u cant get a blood sample considering the peeing and drinking alot of water.
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I was using the base of Sparky's tail - I thought it was the easiest.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
          Hello and welcome to the forum

i too use the upper lip beside the big tooth produces more blood. I did at first shave to the right rear of his tail and test.

can you give us more info on your Chewy? So we can collect some data to refer back on.

weight
          type of insulin
          When was he dx
          how old
          male or female
          what size lancets are u using

i personally wouldnt wait too long to see the vet again if u cant get a blood sample considering the peeing and drinking alot of water.
          Chewy:
          male 27lbs very active
          ReliOn:
          29 gauge needles
          Novolin N
          30 gauge lancets

Comment

You'll have more luck using a larger lancet - try a 26 gauge if your Walmart stocks that size. The thicker ones will give a bigger sample when you skewer them. Also, if your dog has any elbow callous, that is a good testing site.
            Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini

Comment

Working...
            X