Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Please update us on how you are doing

Pam,

Quote:
my friends think he's a sociopath because he shows no remorse to the squirrel population
LOL! Every time I see Jack, who has never met a sheep, drop into a classic border collie crouch, I've got to respect the power of instinct... and I suspect we humans are a lot more instinctual than we would like to admit! So Pip is just doing what comes natural to him, just like Jack.

I am glad Jack's never caught one, let alone eaten it! I have often wondered what he would do if he caught one but hope to never find out.

Natalie
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Hey Jenny,

Would Phoebe let you put her in a baby pouch backpack thingie that goes in front?

I know that's probably not ideal but she could be really close to you and you could still move around the house. I'm assuming she's small...

I'm glad the boys are doing well in obedience school and hope they are better in the real world than Jack. Jack does GREAT in school but not always so well away from class!

It must be quite a contrast to have the two young ones and a 17 year old. I was shocked to read that it has been six months...

Natalie
Old 08-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Founding Member

Nat, I think Phoebe would love to be in one of those pouches. She doesn't mind even if I am carrying her in my arms but that doesn't leave my hands free to do anything else. I will do a bit of research and see what I can find.
Jenny
Old 08-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Wolfie's visit to the Ophthalmologist today left us with both good and bad news. As a bi-product of his diabetes, he is developing cataracts, although the situation is not critical at this stage. We probably will elect to have them surgically removed at some stage. Further bad news is that the area around his left eye is paralyzed to the extent that he cannot blink that eye to cleanse it with tears. Because he's a black and silver schnauzer, it's not something we had been able to notice.

The better news is that the dark lesion in his left eye was easily removed by the vet during today's visit. He thought it was benign but we elected to have it tested anyway.

We'll be using eye drops in both eyes and a special salve in the left eye to help keep it lubricated. There is a chance that the paralysis might go away but I'll have to assume this might be with us for the duration.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Things are going well.

I started a new job 3 weeks ago. I'm presently working 3rd shift (10:00PM-6:30AM) whicj allows me to drive the wife around when necessary and play with the dogs.

Just in time it seems. Wife's cat presented us with a $400 vet bill for an abscess today.

We have a new foster dog. We are fostering through www.Love4canines.org. Buddy's a Border Collie/Cattle Dog mix.

Rick
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 AM

Hi Everyone,
Just to give you an update about Lucy. We are still having funny up's and down's with her numbers. Some good day's and some bad we get down to the 100's and 200's then the next day she is up in the 300's and 400's.

We have just come back off holiday, and we had a letter for an appointment with the Opthalmologist on Weds the 19th August.

If Peggy reads this I wonder if she could tell me if she had to fast Forbin the night before (nothing after 10pm) at his first initial appointment.?

I will phone the vet tomorrow as regards what I do about this as I don't know what to do about her insulin in the morning.They mentioned if they were diabetic or puppies this would be different! but did not give me any info only to contact my vet. They also spoke about overnight or a couple of nights, I will have to explain that this would stress her out. I know she would have to stay in for the surgery but not at the first visit.

Anyway I am hoping for some good news but if not it won't be for the want of trying, as I want to give her every chance.

We hope everyone is well.

Hugs to you all
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Sometimes there's not much opportunity for people who don't happen to have a question about their diabetic dog to post anything - the only downside I can think of to having a dog's diabetes on cruise control!!

So please take a moment just to say hello and tell us how things are going.

And, by the way, you don't have to currently have a diabetic dog to participate! We care about the people and all the pets!

Natalie
Natalie,

What a great idea this was especially if you do not have a lot of questions to ask.
I think I will have more questions though just shortly with everything that is going on with Lucy

I think I made a mistake I thought your Jack was a Jack Russell I do not where I got that from. I see he is a Border Collie.

Hugs to you all.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Hi Margaret

Yes Forbin did have to fast because they had to sedate him to test his eyes to determine if he was a candidate for surgery. I actually gave him 1/2 cup of dry at 10 and then gave him 1/2 of his insulin in the am. He did great. For some reason, forbin always does fine with fast, 1/2 insulin and sedation or anisthetic. Lucy will do great! The test doesn't take long, but the dogs won't hold still for them to do it thus the sedation. Let us know how she does! And no he didn't have to stay, in fact I picked him up in 4 hours. He didn't even stay after his operation, although I know several hospitals that do keep them. Its very very stressful the first day of surgery. If they want to keep her one night Margaret, I would let them.

Last edited by peggy0; 08-16-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

That's soooo funny. My springer spaniel herds everything. I asked the vet years ago why she is always trying to go around me and the other dogs. He told me its her instinct to herd. Too funny. Forbin must be too much lab. He doesn't herd at all.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:59 AM

Hi everyone,
Just an update on Lucy she had her visit with the Opthalmologist yesterday,
we were in for quite a wee while.
She has been given the go ahead in 2-3weeks time. He said she is totally blind in her left eye and a little bit sight in her right eye, but he is doing both eyes.

We are so pleased he is going to do it he is very nice and very approachable,
asked us lots of questions and Lucy was really good.
We take her in the night before surgery, I think they have another test to do
he done a lot but not the one where she is sedated. He gave me a prescription for the eyedrops, I have to use them for 3 days before she goes in.

So she goes in for two nights I am very nervous about it all but I have to give her the chance He will phone me in a couple of weeks and if he does'nt I have to phone him. They are just moving into the big new State of the Art new hospital on Friday it is beautiful, so Lucy will be going in to this one it is just down the road from the old one.

She had a good examination blood screening heart, teeth, asked me all about her infections, we are having a culture done on Monday at our own vets so to make sure if there is any infection it can be treated in the next 2 weeks.

We discovered a small cyst just under her eye but the eye surgeon was not worried about it.
We are hoping and praying that nothing crops up, as we know it can.

Hugs to you all.