Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:36 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New member Snowball

Now it can be a bit of a learning curve testing blood sugar the big one is how to get a drop of blood and depending on where you end up testing on your dogs body can have a different size of lancet

I use thin lancets on jesse because i test her inner lip while people that test other locations on the body like the base of the tail or maybe the ear need a much larger lancet with sizes as big as 26 gauge

Now just because your dog is small you still maybe able to use the lip which i believe is the easiest spot because there is no fur and plenty of blood vessels and very few nerve endings

Take your time dont push it . If its a struggle take a break . The goal is to get a drop of blood . If you can do that you and your dog are on your way to managing the disease and improving snowballs quality of life

Now smaller dogs can be a bit more challenging to regulate. Full unit adjustments higher maybe to much and half and even quarter unit maybe more appropriate
Old 09-30-2018, 08:47 AM

I bought 30 gauge lancets with no lancing device, figured I could just prick her. I did the inner lip, but didn't get enough blood. Tried the foot pad and she just looked at me with an ouch look on her face and no blood, the ear she didn't mind, but again, but enough blood. I'm going to go back and try to get 26 gauge and a lancing device and hopefuly I can get enough blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
Now it can be a bit of a learning curve testing blood sugar the big one is how to get a drop of blood and depending on where you end up testing on your dogs body can have a different size of lancet

I use thin lancets on jesse because i test her inner lip while people that test other locations on the body like the base of the tail or maybe the ear need a much larger lancet with sizes as big as 26 gauge

Now just because your dog is small you still maybe able to use the lip which i believe is the easiest spot because there is no fur and plenty of blood vessels and very few nerve endings

Take your time dont push it . If its a struggle take a break . The goal is to get a drop of blood . If you can do that you and your dog are on your way to managing the disease and improving snowballs quality of life

Now smaller dogs can be a bit more challenging to regulate. Full unit adjustments higher maybe to much and half and even quarter unit maybe more appropriate
Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 AM
Founding Member

thats a very good start getting some blood

I do have to milk the area at times depending on blood flow od jesses inner lip . Jesse has never complained about pinching her lip a bit but she always been a trooper

Hopefully in a month or 2 you will be in this new normal and snowball will return to her old self
Old 09-30-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
thats a very good start getting some blood

I do have to milk the area at times depending on blood flow od jesses inner lip . Jesse has never complained about pinching her lip a bit but she always been a trooper

Hopefully in a month or 2 you will be in this new normal and snowball will return to her old self
I did the ear and finally got enough blood. Lip not enough blood again, would probably help if I had a lancing device but walmart around here is out of the relion lancing devices and I"m not spending 12 dollars on one.

as of 1238AM she is 292 according to the meter. Thats around 442 according to dog meter I'm assuming using .66 conversion? She gets insulin around 7am and 7pm although on the weekends it might be a bit later in the morning. Probably 8am this morning.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:07 AM
Founding Member

great getting that first test

I have not done any conversions with jesses human meter. For us we accepted numbers for what they are but many do do conversions. How accurate that is especially in the higher range i dont know

What you are looking for with this dose at 3 units are the numbers fairly stable throughout the day 100 points or lower difference from low to high is quite stable . Higher than 200 to me is becoming more unstable .

stable elevated numbers may point to a dose increase and big swings in blood sugar may point to a dose being to large

remember one number doesnt give much info because it is one moment in time . complete curves are the only real way to determine a dose adjustment during the regulation process
Old 09-30-2018, 01:43 PM

490 at 4:40pm. I'm thinking we need to up the dose on the isulin a little bit.

Any thoughts on how to get the blood, the poor doctor is going through heck. I got the 26 gauge instead of the 30 gauge but even with those I seem to have to stick her at least twice to get enough blood and I'm through like 8 to 10 sticks already to do 2 tests. I tried the lip and it doesn't seem to get enough blood each time. The ear has worked twice but the amount of pricking its taking is not conducive to doing this every hour or 4 hours or whatever. Is there a better spot that will easily get blood?

Last edited by robl45; 09-30-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:27 PM

Hi. It’s really good that she is allowing you to test in various spots. As long as she is willing, I’d continue to try the inside of her upper lip. There’s a lot of blood available there. The lancet is probably not going deep enough. A lancing device would probably help because you can adjust the the depth with the dial on the device.

I wouldn’t adjust her insulin just yet. Like jesse girl suggested, insulin increases should only be made after doing a 12 hour curve. You would test before she eats and then every 2 hours up until the next time she eats.

You’re doing great.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 09-30-2018, 05:15 PM

489 at 8:10pm. This is one hour after giving her the latest injection. 70 minutes to be precise. I could try to do once in the morning before we give her the next injection as well. Around 12:30PM when I did it, it was lower and then 4:40pm it was at 490. I'm assuming about 4 hours after giving the injection is approx when it would be lowest?

Is there anyway to calculate how much each half unit moves the blood sugar level on an 8 lb dog?
Old 09-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Founding Member

the thing with this disease you cant assume or calculate. Each dog wrights there own story .

lowest sugar can be at anytime. 3 hours after injection 6 and even 12 .

Wish it was more predictable and general for all dogs but its not . thats why i talked about you being an expert of your dogs diabetes . Its going to take time the more testing and doing complete curves every week will get you familiar with snowballs trends and patterns and how to move forward
Old 10-01-2018, 03:34 AM

371 at 632am right before eating.