Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Re: New member Snowball

Just tested again at 10:12pm 323. Higher than it was at 6pm before she ate, but I'm assuming maybe the food is keeping it up. I'll test again in the morning before the next shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
Its hard to say . All i go by is the clues from what the numbers tell me and my opinion its possible the dose maybe to much but like i said other medical condition maybe playing a part keeping things higher

You really have to be a detective and its fortunate you are testing sugar

if the dose is to much it can be difficult finding your way back thats why its so important to go slow and conservative dose adjustments

My jesse was on 6 units which was a normal starting dose . I ended up giving her 3 units . It took a long time to figure that out . So even doing everything correctly did not work out for jesse
Old 10-03-2018, 03:27 AM

288 at 6:20am with 3.5 units. I'm going to try to test her every couple of hours at work today.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 AM

She was at like 120 at 9am and actually licked me a couple of times this morning. She hasn't done that in a few days. Testing again in a few minutes.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Founding Member

make sure you keep records on your testing. add things like feeling better and anything else that maybe pertinent food treats exercise

remember big swings in sugar can be problematic for regulation . So keep an eye on numbers going lower and you may need to intervene with sugar going below a 100 with liquid sugar like honey to stabilize it from going lower

Also keep an eye on the numbers spiking back up and may show your dog is going through rebound which is caused by sugar dropping to fast or going to low and the body uses its stored sugar to protect the body
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 AM

Now she was 194 at 11:10am. She is licking me and seems more like her normal self. She still walking a bit funny though. I"m not sure how these numbers correspond with an alphatrak 2 though. At lower numbers I believe they are closer to the pet meters? So like 124 and 194 would be relatively close? I don't need to divide those by .66?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Up at 285 now. twice today I guess I didn't get enough blood and it read really low. first try read 45. Its very difficult getting enough blood to do the test correctly.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Founding Member

yeah that can be a problem with these meters as they dont read error but could give a false low if not enough blood but you will realize that

if you get a number out of place especially on the low side test again . Usually it will be quite low
Old 10-03-2018, 11:11 AM

she is seeming better today, giving me kisses which she hasn't done, but she still isn't walking normal. I'm not sure what to think as this just kind of started a couple of days ago when I started testing her. she is walking, but its like she is having trouble with the back legs. Sometimes better than others. She squatted to pee and fell down at first. But she did make it up the steps there are 7 and then 5 steps and she went up them without help.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:59 PM

339 now at 4pm.

She was at 302 yesterday at 6:05PM on 3 units and now she is at 339 on 3.5U at 4pm, but she was definately lower and acting more like snowball earlier in the day at 9 and 11 when I tested her. Any advice? It appears she clearly isn't staying well regulated. I feel like I should have given her more insulin around 1pm, but 2 times a day is more than enough.

Last edited by robl45; 10-03-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Founding Member

rear leg weakness is seen here on the forum from time to time mostly in larger dogs . Sometimes they say its from high sugar but it just seems like something else is going on with the symptoms your describing

any signs of feeling better is a good thing