Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keira - 8yr old Rottweiler newly diagnosed

Hi all,
    I came across this forum through a google search on dog diabetes. My dog, Keira, is an 8yr old rottweiler who 2 days ago was diagnosed with diabetes.

She had been a little 'off' recently, nothing massively noticeable just not her usual bubbly self. Despite being 8, she is very puppified in nature and very excitable etc. My Nan had been living with us and moved out around the same time, so we put it down to her being grumpy that she didn't have Nan pampering her all day every day (We all work, so sometimes she's alone for a few hours). However, on Thursday evening she started vomiting quite badly. This continued through to Friday, so we took her to the vets. The vet took her temperature, listened to her heart, and did a physical examination. She said all seemed fine, and gave her an injection and some anti-sickness tablets to be administered at home, thinking she had just picked up a nasty bug or something.

However Saturday she was much worse, not even being able to keep water down. She hadn't eaten a meal since Thursday, and the constant vomiting including water had us very worried. She became very lethargic, to the point she couldn't really walk or stand. We rushed her to the emergency vets, who suspected kidney failure when we spoke about how she had been drinking more than usual before the vomiting started. We had to wait while she got blood results as if it had been the kidneys she said there was little use continuing treatment as there's nothing that could be done. Thankfully, although her kidney levels came back high, they were not as high as we feared and it wasn't this. However her glucose levels came back much much higher than expected, hence the diabetes thought came. She admitted her for the night and hooked her up to a drip due to the dehydration. Later that evening, the vet called to confirm she had diabetes, as well as pancreatitis. She began using insulin at the vets to help with the symptoms. We visited yesterday and she was so weak, she couldn't even lift her own head up. It was a horrific sight, and the vet suspected DIC as well due to a slightly bloody nose, which meant a very bleak outlook. It all depended on how last night went. Thankfully, no more bleeding has meant we no longer think she has the DIC, and she finally started to show signs of becoming more active today when visiting. She lifted her head the whole time and was bright eyed, she also pawed me and nudged my hand with her nose when I stopped stroking her which she usually does at home. When it came time for us to leave, she even stood up and tried to walk out with us (Considering she couldn't lift her head yesterday this was a HUGE deal!!). She's still in the vets now and her (I assume glucose? Brain didn't cope very well with what the vet was saying when I saw her!!) levels started at 38 when she was admitted, the ideal being between 5-8, she was 11 at midday today so a huge improvement.

It's been touch and go for the past few days which has been terrifying, we really thought we were going to loose her however positive thinking is getting us through this, and hoping she continues to improve. She's not quite out of the woods yet but seems to be taking steps in the right direction!

We're all a bit shocked at the news really, we didn't suspect a thing and for her to be so poorly was not what we had expected. We understand that when she comes home she'll need injections of insulin twice daily, which of course we will have to adapt to. We also have to adapt her diet which the vet is advising us on.

I'm so excited to come across this forum as we don't know anyone else who has a dog with this condition, and reading your stories has really helped me think positively about the rest of Keira's life!

Here's hoping she continues to improve and comes home to us happier, and healthier, in the next couple of days!

Re: Keira - 8yr old Rottweiler newly diagnosed

It is good to hear that she is feeling better and that her blood sugar is down significantly. Hope she can come home soon!

Natalie

Comment

hi and welcome

the panceatitis may have caused the diabetes that's something i believed happened with my jesse . its a long healing process with that . dont force food . give something easy to digest . flare ups are not uncommon

recommend testing blood sugar at home the larger breeds are usually quite easy to do
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
        hi and welcome

the panceatitis may have caused the diabetes that's something i believed happened with my jesse . its a long healing process with that . dont force food . give something easy to digest . flare ups are not uncommon

recommend testing blood sugar at home the larger breeds are usually quite easy to do
        The vet suggested that too, she said very often they come together which is a pain to treat as obviously they are much more poorly with both! She hasn't eaten since Thursday still, however just spoken to the vet and she said she's eaten half a bowl of plain chicken which is fab news, very pleased she's showing an interest a little more now!

We're just excited for her to come home now, we've been so worried about her and just want her to be back home to get better! Thanks for you response. Thanks Natalie for your well wishes too!

Comment

Welcome Rianne & Keira!
          My story is much like yours, my male Rottie was diagnosed one month before his 8th birthday. He stopped eating and began drinking and urinating excessively. Vet thought it was a stomach bug, gave something to settle his stomach. It didn't help, I took him back the next day..she ran all the blood work then, and came back and said diabetes and pancreatitis.

Fortunately we caught the diabetes and pancreatitis early, so he just spent the afternoon at the vet and got some IV fluids and insulin and came home. We caught the diabetes within one month of onset, I know because he had a minor surgery one month earlier and had blood work done and all was normal.

So glad to hear Keira is feeling better, I hope she comes home soon. I would suggest that you home test your girl, it will make it much easier to get her regulated. Also, if I'm converting correctly, your vet wants her blood sugar to be between 5-8 mml/L, which is 90-145 mg/dl (US measurements). That is what a non diabetic dog would run, but is a little low for a diabetic pup. So many things can cause the blood sugar to drop too low if we try to run our dogs this close to normal. And some dogs show no signs of being low, until they have a seizure or drop into a coma. I'm not trying to scare you, just want to let you know how dangerous low blood sugar is for our dogs. The range, I shoot for is 150-200 mg/dl; that would be 8.3-13.9 mml/L.

Sending prayers that Keira is home soon! Please keep us updated.
          Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for replying just thought I'd give an quick update!

Keira has been home for just over a week now. She wouldn't eat still at first and we ended up giving her fresh chicken to try and tempt her! After a week of weaning onto normal food she's finally eating full proper meals now (One pack chicken mince, from the pet shop, then we add a cup of mixer biscuits and som vegetables to it) and is lively and much more herself!

Just went for her first check up and her blood sugar is still running high so we've been advised to up her insulting from 16 to 18 units (she weighs 45kg) twice a day so hoping that'll help her settle down.

She also had a few strange lumps pop up around which the vet guessed were a mixture of 'hot spots' and reactions from all the injections and fluids she had so we've been told to put her on piriton for a week to see how she goes. She had bloods taken to send to the labs again today but other than that everything is going well.

Comment

well it sounds like things are improving . nice to see them eat and act more of themselves

good news
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
              X