Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Quincy, the doberman

Thank you EVERYBODY for your replies!

I guess I'd better let you know Quincy is a girl

I started keeping record of time and blood test as soon as we finally found blood. I'm going to try the elbow. Her elbow doesn't have a callus, but there is a small bald spot. I'm getting a good blood sample from her inner lip. She doesn't even seem to notice.

Yes, on Walmart. Vet gave us a bag of syringes, but I bought a box when I picked up the insulin. It's almost across the street from our vet and he's very cost minded.

I had to have my husband watch and make sure the needle was going in. It's so easy to do, I thought I must be missing something. Nope. I got it. Now I have to teach hubby to give the shot, too. After all the years of working cattle and horses, I've always been the official "shot giver". Hubby hates giving injections. He loves Quincy too much to let her go without a shot just because I'm not home, so he said this AM he's going to learn to give it.

Thanks for the tip on note taking. As you know we just started on this journey and I didn't even think about keeping track of the food. I will add that to my records.

I'd never heard of curve, so thank you for that. I will do that at end of this next week.

Quincy was 98 pounds a month ago. She was 87.6 Saturday. We were very concerned about her weight gain and were trying to cut down on her food intake. Ideal weight for her is around 80 pounds. She's a big girl. 28" at the shoulders.

Quincy will eat just about anything. So not fussy. We're lucky there. But we do have a question that we asked our vet and he wasn't concerned because he said it was so natural. We're feeding her (just started) 3 times a day to try to spread it out. HOWEVER, we are farmers. She goes with us everywhere we go and gets a lot of exercise. Part of the exercise is that she is also a terrific hunter. We can't stop it without stopping her from going with us. We have 4 dogs. It's like a dog pack and they all hunt together. They find and eat rats, mice, rabbits, moles....you get the idea. How do we figure that in to the mix? We don't always get to see what it is she's eating. She runs the fields with us when we're checking on cattle and we're not always aware what the dogs have found. Don't want to gross anybody out, but it's what dogs do. Do we worry about this?

I would have responded sooner, but Mom who prompted us to get another Dobe is now 90 1/2 and has Alzheimer's. We always do church, lunch and spend time with her on Sunday. As soon as Quincy is regulated we're going to take her to Mom's assisted living. We take her there when we can and the residents love her and she loves them. Now she'll have something in common with some of them Quite a few diabetics live there.

Thanks and sorry for the long story.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 PM
Founding Member

with exercise and spontaneous play blood sugar can drop with injected insulin and it can be quite dramatic

many dogs that lead active lives the caretaker tends to leave blood sugar a bit higher to compensate

your testing will help to see whats possible some seem to do fine with quite a bit and some just cant do it at a high levels my jesse is somewhere in the middle but for her the exercise must be structured and amounts and timing is important

always carry liquid sugar and snacks like a milk bones while out romping around just be aware of symptoms of low blood sugar maybe carry the meter with you . it can be difficult running into a problem with a large dog . not to say anything will happen but you want to be prepared .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 05-03-2015, 09:56 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

I grew up on a farm and although I am a city girl now, I fondly remember our beagles rabbit hunting and all the vermin the terriers would drag up from time to time. It will make consistency difficult because the schedule is important. Also, I wouldn't know how to figure it in. The thing is a random animal as a snack could cause sugar to skyrocket and I feel like it could become an issue for her. I know you don't want to disrupt the pack and her role but this could be a dangerous practice. Life changes and the more consistent you keep her meals, the better her diabetes is to control. I know it is tough to think of excluding her but there are side effects of uncontrolled sugar that would be life changing for her too. My thought is to give it a chance and see how big of a problem it becomes - who knows the occasional rat might not be a big deal. Testing will tell you how she is doing.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Administrator

I don't really know that you can figure something like that in... it is definitely challenging both with free roaming dogs and with dogs who do a lot of hunting or hiking. All of the activity and the unknown things consumed have a big effect on blood sugar.

I would test her at home certainly so you can catch an extra meal early on and you could skip or reduce her meal when you know she got hold of something and adjust her insulin dose to blood sugar that's unusually high.

The other thing to be concerned about with all that activity is, down the road, low blood sugar. One particular dog I know routinely went on very long treks into the woods and her blood sugar went dangerously low a dozen or so times. He had to carry syrup with him and carry her out more than once. So you should make sure you have a remedy for low blood sugar with you at all times when she's out with you. Maybe a little pack and she could carry it herself!

One potential side effect of diabetes is blindness - unfortunately, diabetes-induced cataracts are common. Not guaranteed but a high likelihood... so you may eventually have to change how you deal with her anyway in the future. They can have cataract surgery to have the cataracts removed but in about 10% of cases complications result in them being blind anyway. Dogs generally adjust very well to being blind so it's not tragic at all - not at all like it would be for us - but she would need different outings if that happened.

Natalie
Natalie
Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 PM

hello and welcome to you and your Quincy. your doing great
your keeping her very busy. try to keep a log collecting data on Quincy as you go along. i can relate to your mom at 90 years young mines 93 coming home from rehab next week. thats a whole other subject eh!

has Quincy been spayed?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Quincy is spayed. I tried to add our information like I see at the end of most posts, but I haven't figured it out, yet. Maybe it will show up at the end of this?

Thank you for the tip on carrying something with us for low blood sugar. Had not thought of that.

I've been testing her before her AM meal, a couple times during the day and just before bed time. It worries us, but I guess we have to patient since we've only been at this since Saturday. 428 last night, 264 this AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 AM

Info did show up. Yeah!!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:54 PM

Default When should numbers go down?

We just started on insulin Sat. PM, but the numbers are still so high. Are we being too anxious?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:22 PM

good work testing

are you feeding the recommended amount for her according to the manufacturers feed guide?

10 units is a real low starting dose for her weight. around 20 to 24 is a good starting dose

how is she feeling? how are her legs movement

best to do a full curve soon starting at fasting before insulin and food continue every 2 hours till the 12th hour. lets see her complete curve numbers k.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:47 PM

Quincy seems to feel fine. No change in behavior. We're feeding 6 cups a day of WD and trying to watch her hunting so she doesn't get any extra snacks. She will "drop it" if we ask and then the other dogs will take care of it.

Her legs are moving OK.

Will try to test every 2 hours tomorrow. We have to go to town, so that may mess it up. If we miss, we'll be home all day Friday and we can get it done for sure.

Numbers have us concerned and we're anxious to see them go down closer to normal