Sweet Dutch has passed December 6, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diabetic Rottweiler/Meter & Curves

I tested Dutch's glucose curve today and yesterday.

*NOTE* That there is a gap in his chart for 4/9/2012 between the hours of 10:40 PM - 6:38 AM in which his glucose was not tested. Also Notes refer to what he was doing when test was taken.

Last edited by Timothy; 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Timothy,
      Good to see all those numbers. He sure is all over the place. I'm not sure I will be of much help here, but I think if you could tell if there was any exercise during those days that might have affected things and also what type of meter you are using. Is it a human meter or an animal validated meter. That info might change how the numbers were interpreted.

I am curious what the vet thought the scary episodes were with him. Did they think hypo or were they thinking something else?

Tara
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hi Timothy,
        Your high yesterday morning was likely due to the increased food the night before. I like how stable he was last night though.

I believe you said 2 cups of food is what he typically needs to maintain his weight on this food. I would stick with that (measured carefully) and lower his dose to 29u. If he still produces lows, then drop him back another unit.

The goal is to find a dose where he never goes too low. From that you can see his true curve pattern, without the interference of having to intervene for low blood sugar.

Once you establish a pattern, then tweaking his food can help level out the numbers. Adding a fast acting carb to slow a drop can help some dogs or a well timed snack as Jesse girl posted. But your numbers will help direct your next step.

Patty
        Last edited by Patty; 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I agree that first and foremost that insulin dose needs to be reduced.

Then you can look at the trend on the lower dose of insulin and see whether the diet, etc. needs tweaking.

Natalie

Comment

Just an FYI....in the beginning, the vet started spirit on 20 units, then sent him home on 15 units 2x per day and we had to drop him back to 11 units where he stayed for almost 3-1/2 months. Just recently, in the last month or so, we worked him back up and he is once again at 15 - 15.25 units.

So, all in all, taking into account his exercise schedule and some similar patterns to what you show below I managed to get the range to within a 100 point travel distance from high to low. I still get some highs and yesterday he dropped to 81 but those are rare and testing at home has really helped.

Don't be afraid to drop back and slowly work back up...I know it may not make much sense but does anything with this disease?
            Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Dutch went to the vet Saturday and they did a glucose check, my meter was only about 10 mg off so I think it's pretty accurate. I gave them a print out of the 2 charts so they could take a look at it. They called today and they want to do Blood Work on him this Saturday because his blood sugar was really dramatic and all over the place. This is probably a good idea anyways because he hasn't had it done since last year. The past couple days have been ok and Dutch has been feeling alot better I have been feeding him 3 cups everymeal, I haven't adjusted his insulin. Today im going to measure his curve since his food intake has been consistent.

Comment

Kudos to your vet for being willing to discuss the ups and downs in the curve. Hope they are able to provide some sound advice to lessen the fluctuation. Wishing you the best today in your testing! Holli
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Good luck with the curve today!
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I measured Dutch's curve the best I could over a 24 hour period. I don't really understand his curve never went back up during the 12 hour period, but continued to go back down until he started acting funny and I had to give him a snack.

Last edited by Timothy; 04-18-2012, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Hi Timothy and welcome to the group.

I am not able to offer any advice except that you should read as much and as many threads as you can to learn more about what is going on with your Dutch.

I have been involved with trying to get my dog Sadie regulated since the beginning of the year and every time I read a thread I usually learn something new. Like just now when I was reading about you and Dutch I have learned that "rotties tend to be inconsistent blood sugar-wise." It follows that they may be somewhat more difficult to regulate.

This quote from Natalie caught my attention. "I'm not sure why but Rottweilers historically have tended to be somewhat inconsistent blood sugar-wise.... maybe because they are so muscular, not sure."

Although my Sadie is a lab, she is definitely a mixed mut and among other things has alot of rottie, and some chow characteristics. Very interesting that "rotties... tend to be inconsistent blood-sugar wise". My experience has proven that, but seeing it in print validates some of the frustration I've been having.

Once again welcome, and thanks for posting! I will be following your story with great interest!

Judy (and Sadie)
                      Last edited by jgr789; 04-17-2012, 04:57 AM. Reason: Inserted Natalie's quote
                      Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

that is some long downward pressure it looks like 12 hours worth and it may have gone longer except for adding some food at the low point

he may need his meals split or a nice snack between 10 and 3 that seems when insulin is at its strongest maybe at 12:30 kind of puts it down the middle you may also need to reduce the dose a bit

actually looks positive with maybe a bit of tweaking and or some dose adjustments
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I agree. A snack at about 10:30am might help as he's on his way down. Given early enough that the body has time to process it and slow the drop.

How's his weight?

Comment

I think he weighed 112 the last time. He lost alot of muscle mass when he first got sick and when we started treating him most of that weight he gained went into his belly instead of back into his muscles. Im trying to think of a healthy way to get some muscle back.

Comment

Dutch went to the vet on Saturday for bloodwork and they also took a sample of his pee. Everything checked out ok but the vet said He has a bladder infection and wants to take care of that first & then see if we have to make any adjustments to his insulin/food for a better curve. The vet also has copies of the curves that I posted here.

Meanwhile hes been fine, mostly sleeping. Ive been keeping an eye on him and giving him small snacks when he gets hungry.

Comment

Hi Timothy, Thanks for the update.

Just FYI- infection and sometimes antibiotics can make the bgs do funny things. Infection will often raise the bgs.

How have Dutches numbers been recently? Is he still getting those scary drops or are you snacking him at key times to avoid those?

Tara
                                Tara in honor of Ruby.
                                She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                                Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Working...
                                X