Camellia Camelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camellia Camelo Suerte del Cielo DulcePaws

Oh, my most dearly beloved forum buddies - all your good wishes and prayers WORKED!

Yesterday I signed a year's lease for a really lovely place. I had gone to look at another, the night before, and hated it, but made a verbal agreement to take it, because it is SO difficult to find places around here that will take a dog.

But it was dreary, and I could only have had a tiny dog-run - no bigger than a boarding kennel, really - and with lattice fencing insufficiently high to be really secure, because the owner didn't want wire! Lattice only would have increased the darkness, too.

Yesterday morning, a beloved neighbor who is good at searching real estate on the Internet sent me email around 9:15, showing a place just up the road from me. I phoned the property management agent, and he agreed to meet us at ten at the place.

We'd done our morning promenade, so I popped Camellia into the car, and went and woke up Parrot Lady, who is Camellia's goDMother.

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/parrotlady.php

Marg is a NIGHT, not a day person, but she agreed to join me to look at the place - where my head is fuzzy, hers is sharp!

Two hours later, I was signing a year's lease. The rent is beyond my means, but I should be fully eligible for a grant to cover part of the rent monthly; and we'll just squeeze by that way.

I can put in a dog-run - rather, my friends will. Not as big as our current one, but satisfactory, and I'll bring a few of Camellia's beloved alder logs!

Camellia loved the place too! She's just learned to cope with open outdoor stairways - learned that at the groomer's, then at Marg's. I used a clicker to help teach her.

http://www.coherentdog.org/clickbridge.php

It's light, airy, and really beautiful. It's partially furnished, and I decided to go ahead and rent it furnished - most of what I need is there, and I'll have a big garage sale and sell off my stuff from my current home.

Nothing will change about my address except the street name and number and the postal code. My phone will stay the same, also, my email address, so no hassles there.

We got home early afternoon, and immediately, I phoned the people who own the place we looked at the evening before, and told them I'd taken a different place. I made sure to tell them it was the dog-run that made the difference. I said NOTHING about the darkness of the place.

But where night before last, my heart was drowning in self-pity, yesterday and last night and today, my heart is singing with joy. Light makes SO much difference, and TRULY, Camellia needs a proper dog-run where she can feel safe and secure. Now she'll have one.

A side story: I was driving up and down that road day before yesterday, before we went to look at Dark Place - and a big construction truck was blocking the road. Turns out this truck had knocked down a fire hydrant Water was gushing and running down driveways. I took a couple of photos. Then we went to town, and after, to view the Dark Place.

The place I took is just above that fire hydrant. I wonder if that has some significance; haha!

Lots to do today; gotta run; I'll keep you posted!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:09:55 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Oh Carol,
      I am soooo happy for you! I do understand what a difference light and space can make and the challenges of looking for a place that "fits."

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! And I'm so happy to hear about the grant!
      Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Carol, I'm so happy that you found a nice place to live, I know it must have been such a worry for you. And it's nice you're not going far. I know you'll be very busy over the next few weeks, but soon you'll be settled again and you can begin the process of getting comfortable in your new surroundings. I'll be thinking of you.

Carolyn
        Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
          Oh, my most dearly beloved forum buddies - all your good wishes and prayers WORKED!

Yesterday I signed a year's lease for a really lovely place. I had gone to look at another, the night before, and hated it, but made a verbal agreement to take it, because it is SO difficult to find places around here that will take a dog.

But it was dreary, and I could only have had a tiny dog-run - no bigger than a boarding kennel, really - and with lattice fencing insufficiently high to be really secure, because the owner didn't want wire! Lattice only would have increased the darkness, too.

Yesterday morning, a beloved neighbor who is good at searching real estate on the Internet sent me email around 9:15, showing a place just up the road from me. I phoned the property management agent, and he agreed to meet us at ten at the place.

We'd done our morning promenade, so I popped Camellia into the car, and went and woke up Parrot Lady, who is Camellia's goDMother.

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/parrotlady.php

Marg is a NIGHT, not a day person, but she agreed to join me to look at the place - where my head is fuzzy, hers is sharp!

Two hours later, I was signing a year's lease. The rent is beyond my means, but I should be fully eligible for a grant to cover part of the rent monthly; and we'll just squeeze by that way.

I can put in a dog-run - rather, my friends will. Not as big as our current one, but satisfactory, and I'll bring a few of Camellia's beloved alder logs!

Camellia loved the place too! She's just learned to cope with open outdoor stairways - learned that at the groomer's, then at Marg's. I used a clicker to help teach her.

http://www.coherentdog.org/clickbridge.php

It's light, airy, and really beautiful. It's partially furnished, and I decided to go ahead and rent it furnished - most of what I need is there, and I'll have a big garage sale and sell off my stuff from my current home.

Nothing will change about my address except the street name and number and the postal code. My phone will stay the same, also, my email address, so no hassles there.

We got home early afternoon, and immediately, I phoned the people who own the place we looked at the evening before, and told them I'd taken a different place. I made sure to tell them it was the dog-run that made the difference. I said NOTHING about the darkness of the place.

But where night before last, my heart was drowning in self-pity, yesterday and last night and today, my heart is singing with joy. Light makes SO much difference, and TRULY, Camellia needs a proper dog-run where she can feel safe and secure. Now she'll have one.

A side story: I was driving up and down that road day before yesterday, before we went to look at Dark Place - and a big construction truck was blocking the road. Turns out this truck had knocked down a fire hydrant Water was gushing and running down driveways. I took a couple of photos. Then we went to town, and after, to view the Dark Place.

The place I took is just above that fire hydrant. I wonder if that has some significance; haha!

Lots to do today; gotta run; I'll keep you posted!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 08:09:55 (PDT)

Fantastic Carol

I am so happy for you and Camellia I wish you both lots of happiness and good luck in your new home, this will ease your mind..

Hugs

Margaret
          Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

What awesome news Carol....I'm so glad you're happy about your new place....and it sounds like a great "fit" for you and Camellia! I hope you'll be able to stay there for a very long time.
            Jo-Ann

Comment

FANTASTIC news, Carol !

So glad your new place will have all the comforts that you and Camellia will enjoy.

hugs

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Carol,
                I felt so badly when I read that you had to move after 10 years, and I could not be happier for you that you found a great place! I'm really thrilled that you didn't have to compromise and take that dark house with no place for Camellia to run and play! I hope the move goes smoothly, and if I lived closer, I'd be there in a heartbeat to help you!
                Best wishes,
                Kevin
                Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Most dearly beloved forum buddies - you all so WELL understand about dogs and their Real Needs. Humans, too!

I find it hard to believe it was only yesterday I signed that lease - yet I've been over there twice since; once yesterday afternoon, once this afternoon. I parked there, took Camellia out back a bit at the new place, just to look around again, then came home again. Today, though, we parked there again, went up the open stairs (Camellia is now handling that well), got a bare peek inside through just barely open blinds. Then came back down, and walked up the road some. I'd bought Camellia a new harness in town today, wondering if part of her reluctance in walking is some discomfort with the harness. I tested the new one before buying, and she DID seem more comfortable in it; then same this afternoon. I'll post a picture eventually.

Camellia did SO well in the pet store today; I was thrilled! Some young children around, who were well-behaved (that really helped) - they didn't run around and scream. A cat - Camellia passed very close by, and didn't chase the cat; I've been concerned about that, as we have local roaming cats, some rather aggressive, and Camellia makes to chase them. But the cat in the store was REALLY savvy, acknowledged Camellia, and Camellia sniffed at the cat, and then came along with me politely.

During all the harness try-ons, in which I had to remove her harness and leash, she stayed safely, quietly, with me. totally unlike my Australian Terriers; I could not, safely, have taken them off the leash, because they'd chase whatever passed by, and be at risk of running out into traffic. Not Camellia!

She was fabulously patient, while I struggled with the rather weird fastening, over the back. This is a step-in harness. I never could get Kumbi to step into a harness. Kwali MIGHT have managed it. But Kumbi had a Thing about harnesses anyway.

I bought the harness, and after we got home, I worked out how to handle it, then tested it on the walk. Went very well. We'll see how things go on with it.

We got a bit wet at the end of the walk. When we arrived back at our old home, Camellia did her Identified Flying Object run, from one end of the trailer to the other - some 60 paws - I mean, feet. Jumped up on the bed, rolled and (Allison), dug in the bedclothes, and again did her IFO run. What a blast!

We'll have to re-orient the IFO runs at the new place as there's no long hallway, but I feel very sure Camellia will find a circle-route among the variety of tables, chairs, rooms, and the like!

Evey fall, winter and spring in this trailer has had me struggling with depression for lack of light. THIS fall, winter and spring, I know it's not going to happen. There are skylights in the kitchen-living room, and also in the bedroom, which is very small, but with the skylight - and a porthole! - it'll be fine!

Oh - and having the ocean view is great - it's not so much the ocean, though that's lovely, but the ability to see a long DISTANCE - a far horizon - that counts. Haven't had that for some ten years now. I can keep an eye on the weather that way, too!

Look ahead; look astern, look the weather and the lee.
                  Blow high, blow low, and so a-sail-ed we!

NOT assail.

Going to bed shortly! I can rest some now, and we WILL be settled in a month or so, I think!

Thanks so much for all your cheery posts! They increase my joy by Camellia-and-Terrier-type leaps and bounds! Sharing this with you quadruples (at least) the joy of it!

Good night, dear buddies!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:06:09 (PDT)
                  CarolW

Comment

ah a place by the sea!! Its so good for the soul and your health!! Congrats carol on the find and the great work with Camille. Sounds like she is becoming one happy little dog. I'm soooo happy for you!

xo

peggy
                    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I have a visual of looking out over the ocean, I much prefer the mountains myself but can imagine the view of the horizon and how nice that must be for you.

Sounds like you and Camellia had quite the day!

hugs

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I love it that you share my joys; this really is a great place to do it!

That road this place is on is where I lived from May, 1974 to January 2001, but I was considerably farther down the hill on that road - on the waterside, TOO exposed to wind and chill. This place, though high up, is better protected.

And we get to stay in my home community. Imagine - it's like this forum.

We hit a milestone yesterday! Camellia, just before her supper last night, began to CHEW one of her bully-sticks! I never thought she would, but left them on Our Bed anyway. She chewed, total, well over an hour - before and after her supper. She took the bully-stick out into the yard; I was afraid she'd bury it, or lose it down a hole, but she did neither, and came back in with it later.

A milestone for the Equinox, and an auspicious omen for our move.

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:11:46 (PDT)
                        CarolW

Comment

Dear Carol,

Deep in my heart I do believe that Kumbi and Kwali are right by your side, guiding you and Camellia every step of the way, making sure that everything is how THEY would want it for their doGmom and sister. Not deary and dark, but full of light!

I've been reading your thread in the background and I'm so happy that you have finally found the perfect place for you and Camellia.

You must post photographs once you get settled in!

Linda/Ladybug

Comment

Carol,
                            I agree with Linda...we want photos! I want to drool over your ocean view!! I'm totally jealous here (and full of joy for you)! And when's the housewarming?? LOL
                            Kevin
                            Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Hey, Linda! Surely I'll put up pictures. Camellia and i have gone to our new place each day; went a bit after noon today, and Camellia chose to walk down, rather than up, the road. Our walk wasn't all that long, but it was very pleasant and slow. Camellia is just nothing like Kwali, who generally "walked" as though running away - in fear! Pulling, and fast. Camellia ONLY pulls if there's some particularly fascinating smell she wants to track. Kumbi, too, would pull a lot, but far less than Kwali did. But the two of them together did quite a job pulling! They WOULD, however, stop if I said, "Wait." Goood doggies!

With Camellia, it's the other way around; she goes slowly, slowly. I think she's checking out her new world. Kwali and Kumbi - I agree with you - thought a slow dog would suit me about now!

This afternoon, I was reeling with fatigue, needing a nap, but it was not to be; my landlord kept coming by. We were working on transferring the fuel oil for heating, and the electricity, accounts.

Then my next-door neighbor came by - we'd agreed on the visit, yesterday. She's a sweetie, and stayed only about 20 minutes - saw how tired I was. Camellia quite takes to this person. As well she should. She has good taste in humans; ha! So did Kwali and Kumbi.

I also suddenly realized, late this afternoon, that I actually CAN 'move" on 1 October. When I move, I bring the computer. Well, making arrangements with the phone company today, I asked them to hook up the number I use exclusively for the modem, and they can do that on 1 October. For the other line, the one I use for voice phone, I have to wait till 21 October, since a second phone line has to be run to the house (one is already present, and can be changed to the new number via office-switch, I believe).

I have adequate furniture in the new place, as it's mostly furnished and the bed is really comfortable - and wider than our current Our Bed, which is nice for both of us.

Then I can gradually move the rest of the stuff I'm taking during October. And sell off the rest.

I'll be paying double-electricity in October, keeping it on in the old place, so the place doesn't get too damp and grow moldy. My landlored was surprised when I told him I'd keep it on during October. But he's done me a LOT of favors, and it will help ME, too, keeping stuff for sale from having problems.

The new place has electric heat, which is lovely, because it's so clean. The furnace here in the old place emits dust no matter WHAT you do, and it's a constant battle keeping the dust down.

Working out details and logistics seems to me very complex right now, and my brain is SO fuzzy. I feel about as overwhelmed as people with a newly-diagnosed diabetic dog!

But Camellia keeps me sane. Kwali and Kumbi chose SO wisely for me! Camellia agrees. She says, my HumanMum is perfect for me, of course, because I'm perfect for her.

Good night, dear Forum Buddies All!

Yip, yip. yes, good night, from Camellia

Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:24:05 (PDT)
                              CarolW

Comment

The goDs must be smiling on us. The other night, I met the also-new-tenants who are moving into the main house. They are doG-people, and very empathic, sensible, and their values match mine very well indeed. Wow! A great property manager, and great neighbors.

The three things I MUST have in order actually to move are:

Camellia - and her stuff - including a secure dog-run (hope I have enough wire and posts to make a new one at the new place, because I suddenly realized I ALSO need to have the old one up until I finish selling stuff off, and actually vacate the trailer).

A working phone (that should happen, no problem, on 1 October).

My computer in the new place. Aha; means I need furniture to hold it, too! So there IS non-animal stuff to be moved; haha!

We had another milestone today; that is, Camellia had her first professional grooming since becoming my dog. I'd guess her grooming till now has been rather casual, as probably, she wasn't shown, being too big for the Havanese breed standard.

My fabulous neighbor up the hill, who has a Havanese and helped me get Camellia, pointed me to a groomer who doesn't advertise. Doesn't have to. She's so good she's always swamped.

This woman, Kate, takes things at a pace to allow the dog to learn, so today all she supposedly did was to brush Camellia. But I notice she ALSO did a bit of clipping in strategic places; seems she clipped toenails, though I haven't looked up close yet, but they'd be more noticeable from a distance than they are, if she hadn't clipped them.

Camellia is REALLY tired this evening after that experience; and I am too, but because I've lost SO much sleep, and most times I try to nap in the day, I get interrupted. Now my glucocorticoids are running so high I can't STAY asleep at night - (see Pip's thread on the diabetes forum) - so I get a few hours at a time.

The more I get done, the better the logistics, the better I'll be able to sleep. It will take time. Probably the most complex thing I face is locating the dog-run. Property-manager will help me work that out.

I gotta say, Camellia looks SO good after her grooming! To avoid mats, she'll need a bath soon, and Kate will let me do it at her place, and at the same time, instruct me. Kwali and Kumbi just got washed about any which way - well, not entirely, but it was pretty rough and ready. I want to do it right with Camellia because of the possibility of matting in that hair!

It's time for me to turn into a canned pumpkin, not pie filling; if I don't, I'll foul up everything I type. Good night, dear forum buddies!

Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:47:33 (PDT)
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X