Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honey (RIP Diagnosed 08/11/2013 - 29/02/2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi - newbie here

Jen,

Just popping in to say Hi, and to say that Honey is adorable. I think most of us feed first, and then give insulin. You just never know.... they may have a good appetite now, but down the road, they may have an off day.

My Abby never gives me problems in eating, but there was one time when she didn't feel well, and she refused to eat. If I had given insulin and then fed, we would have been in big trouble.

There are ways to compensate with additives/foods to get the level right.

Barb
    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by jen0m View Post
      We're still on a titrating dose the vet started her on 5iu/day and we're upping it by 1iu/day depending on her urine glucose tests in the morning.
      Hi Jen,

Was just reading your first post again and want to make sure I understand. Did the vet say to increase by 1 unit each day?? or is 1iu something different?
      Just asking because it takes 5 to 7 days for the body to adjust to the dose.

Milo (18 pounds) was started on 3 units. After a week on 3 units we did a curve and then increased his insulin to 4 units for a week...and so on.

Carol

Comment

Hi Carol - yes - we started off at 5iu (units) a day & she wants it increased by 1 unit a day so at the moment she's on 11 units in two divided doses a day. He glucose started to come down today and I've to stop increasing her insulin when it starts to come down.
        Jen.
        "A dull day, a sad day, a frustrating day - but everything seems bright when a small furry object hurls into your arms & tells you how very glad she is to see you home" (Pam Brown)

Comment

My vet definitely told me to do this and I clarified everything with her - maybe I should phone her tomorrow
          Jen.
          "A dull day, a sad day, a frustrating day - but everything seems bright when a small furry object hurls into your arms & tells you how very glad she is to see you home" (Pam Brown)

Comment

Yes please call your vet.

Its almost impossible to trust urine strips there not accurate . Testing Honey, s blood sugar with a glucometer is the right way.

It takes 5 to 7 days for their body to adjust to an insulin change.

Then do a glucose curve to see if she needs another adjustment

You dont want to miss her magic number by going tooo fast.

Consistency is the key
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I agree with the others.

1. A full curve should be done for dose adjustments. A curve is a blood glucose reading every 2 hrs. This can catch some lows, and determine if the dosage needs to be adjusted. Typically the lowest reading is how you will make that determination.

Here is some information regarding Caninsulin and dose adjustment recommendations.

http://www.caninsulin.com/Dose-adjustment-dogs.asp

2. In addition, it takes 5-7 days for the body to process the dose adjustments.

I also provided a link as to the recommended starting doses...

http://www.caninsulin.com/managing-d...lin-dosage.asp

Barb

Comment

You know Jen, our vet had Vinny on 20 units 2x a day at the beginning and after a a week or so, Vinny's bg got real low and he got wobbly. Luckily, I had already found this site, and I had already started testing at home, so I knew what was going on. Vinny's 20 units was just too much for him at that point. I dropped him back to 16 then started working my way up slowly, adjusting his food too. After two months, we are just now back at the 20 unit mark.

Our vet told me it wasn't necessary to blood test our Vinny at home, but I decided (after reading lots) that I was going to do it anyway. Now he asks me what the latest curve I have is. I never change his insulin without knowing where he is by doing a curve...then I let his vet know where I have him!

My father was never very fond of doctors, so if you are one, please take this with a grain of salt! He always told me that when they said "doctor's are practicing medicine" that's just what they are doing. I think that goes for vet's too. They can't know everything about everything. We have to fill in the holes.
                Mel
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
                  He always told me that when they said "doctor's are practicing medicine" that's just what they are doing. I think that goes for vet's too. They can't know everything about everything. We have to fill in the holes.
                  Mel
                  I love that quote of your father's. It is so true!!

Barb

Comment

Originally posted by Monsters Momma View Post
                    You know Jen, our vet had Vinny on 20 units 2x a day at the beginning and after a a week or so, Vinny's bg got real low and he got wobbly. Luckily, I had already found this site, and I had already started testing at home, so I knew what was going on. Vinny's 20 units was just too much for him at that point. I dropped him back to 16 then started working my way up slowly, adjusting his food too. After two months, we are just now back at the 20 unit mark.

Our vet told me it wasn't necessary to blood test our Vinny at home, but I decided (after reading lots) that I was going to do it anyway. Now he asks me what the latest curve I have is. I never change his insulin without knowing where he is by doing a curve...then I let his vet know where I have him!

My father was never very fond of doctors, so if you are one, please take this with a grain of salt! He always told me that when they said "doctor's are practicing medicine" that's just what they are doing. I think that goes for vet's too. They can't know everything about everything. We have to fill in the holes.
                    Mel
                    Ha Mel - no I'm not a doctor - I'm a pharmacy technician so all good ;0) I gave Honey her Insulin earlier & fed her just afterwards. I agree with everyone - I'm not happy giving her insulin an hour beforehand. My Mums dog (Lucy) is also diabetic (complications from pancreatitis) and I spoke to my Mum a while ago & her vet said to feed Lucy & then give her insulin so I'm going to phone him tomorrow for a 2nd opinion.
                    Jen.

Comment

Re: Introducing Honey

Also because of my Mums dog & her glucose curve testing & did ask my vet about this but she said she wasn't concerned - she only had to GCT one other dog - I'm not sure if I have to reassess things........
                      Jen.

Comment

I have to admit that I've never used / tried the urine test strips so my thoughts might not be totally correct. I think I see what your vet is doing, having you increase insulin until you see any downward movement based on the urine test. Most of us would rather wait several days between increases and base increases on blood curves, but his method sounds interesting: as long as you stop increasing when you see the first improvement. Sounds like the vet will want to see Honey after a few days. This might be a good way, that I've never thought about, to get treatment started. (comments from the forum, please)

When you do see your vet, it will be interesting to see if he wants to take a single blood test, or preform a full day curve. Many of us believe a full curve is the way to go, but I think some vets try to save the patient some money by only doing a single test. You really don't get the full picture with only a single test. You might want to discuss this with him before the appointment and agree to the treatment ahead of time (single test or day curve).

It would also be interesting to know how he tests the blood. Does he send the blood to a lab, or does he use a handheld meter? If he uses a handheld meter, what brand? Don't be shy to ask.

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by jen0m View Post
                          Also because of my Mums dog & her glucose curve testing & did ask my vet about this but she said she wasn't concerned - she only had to GCT one other dog - I'm not sure if I have to reassess things........
                          It is not uncommon for us to have had to switch vets. Not to say that some vets are good in other areas, but diabetes is more of a special disease. I personally went through three vets, to find the fourth one that I have.

btw... what is GCT?

Barb

Comment

I'm thinking GCT is glucose curve testing and if that is not being done, I would recommend interviewing for a new vet. Knowing how the food and insulin are interacting is the only real way to know if the dosage is correct for your dog.

We went round and round with Decker's second vet because he had large swings in his bg which left him feeling quite unwell. We were told fluctuation is normal. I don't discount the statement, but what I struggled with was that it left my boy feeling unwell. Folks here helped us work up the courage to lobby for better for our boy. Over time we got there but we had to be quite pro-active.
                            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post

It is not uncommon for us to have had to switch vets. Not to say that some vets are good in other areas, but diabetes is more of a special disease. I personally went through three vets, to find the fourth one that I have.

btw... what is GCT?

Barb
                              Hi sorry - It's "glucose curve testing" - I've probably mixed it up!

Jen 🐾
                              Jen.

Comment

Oh, I agree with Holly.
                                If your vet is not going to do any type of curve to reassess, I personally would not feel real comfortable with that approach.

Barb

Comment

Working...
                                X