Feeling defeated :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Feeling defeated

Testing is definitely hard at first. I can't count the number of times I ended up crying because I just couldn't get a blood sample. Hang in there. It does get easier and can literally save your pup's life.
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by jesz9 View Post
      Thank you very much. I will try the Vaseline trick! I hate poking her multiple times trying to get one tiny drop of blood Our vet has mentioned NO other places that she wants us to try and test her
      Hi jesz9,
      How is everything going with Chloe?
      Last edited by Chloe8929; 11-20-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I used the AlphaTrak 2 as well - and I did so because it requires the smallest amount of blood of all the meters. Made testing SO much easier.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Hi everyone! We did buy an Alpha Trak 2, love it. Finally got some blood today but a few times it took 2 pokes...her curve so far looks scary to me...her numbers are the highest I have ever seen.

10:30 no insulin no food 341
          10:45 ate a little plus insulin ate her meal finally at noon
          2:00 393
          5:00 431
          8:30 505

I'm really concerned. This is the new insulin 4 units. Thoughts please?

Comment

She's running pretty high, but I wouldn't raise her dose just yet. I know you're just getting the hang of testing, but what would really be helpful is to get readings every 2 hours (starting at fasting and before insulin) for 12 hours. We need to make sure she isn't dropping too low at some point during the day before raising her dose. Also, it usually takes around a week for a dog to settle in at a new dose of insulin, and sometimes we see their glucose start to drop lower after they've been on the same dose for a week. So I would give it a few more days and then try another curve every 2 hours. Also, are you testing her urine for ketones? If not, it's something I would encourage while she's running high. If her ketones are higher than trace it is medical emergency and she needs to go to the vet ASAP.

Comment

Thanks for replying! She has been on this insulin at this dose for approx. 3 weeks now.

Would she be acting funny for us to know she need to go to the vet in an emergency?? I will buy the sticks tomorrow to test urine...feeling so scared for my baby

Comment

Some dogs get lethargic or shaky when their glucose gets too low - but others don't. And honestly, I don't think she's dropping too low, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I know this is scary, but dogs really do tolerate high blood sugar better than low. As long as she doesn't have ketones in her urine, she's doing ok for now.

Since she's been on this dose for 3 weeks, it would be fine to raise her dose a little IF you can get a few more readings during the day - just to make sure she isn't ever dropping too low. If possible, try for a reading at 2 hours, 4 hours, and 6 hours after her meal and insulin. A lot of dogs (but not all) will start trending back up after 6 hours, but we need to establish that this is Chloe's pattern before assuming that she'll hit her lowest point (called the nadir) at 6 hours.

Comment

Thanks Cara! We can try to do the readings every 2 hours. The only reason we did 3 hours was that was what the vet wanted. Chloe gets SO nervous when we go to poke her, she starts shaking like a leaf, I feel so bad. she is a VERY nervous dog. We do our best to keep her surroundings the same. Her vision is really starting to go fast. I appreciate all the stories everyone shared about their dogs concerning their vision!

She was on 8 units of the old insulin..i'm betting when I call tomorrow the vet will up her 1 or 2 units. Just a guess, I will keep you guys posted. Chloe went on a walk today and acted great. She has been licking her one toenail a lot lately, I am going to ask the vet about that too tomorrow. Always something! I will do what it takes to keep her healthy. Thanks for listening!

Comment

Hmmm, if she gets that upset about it, maybe you can try to get a reading 2 hours after one day, then 4 hours after the next day, then 6 hours after the day after. It's not a perfect system but might be your best option. Just be really careful to keep everything exactly the same each day - same exact food, same amount and timing of exercise, etc. I think raising another unit is probably fine but I'm always super cautious about that. Have you tried giving her a special treat whenever she gets tested? I used to give Sparky a tiny, tiny smidge of peanut butter after every test and insulin injection, and when he saw me getting his testing kit out or starting to get his insulin ready, he would run over to me and sit nicely for his test or injection. He thought the peanut butter made the needles totally worthwhile.

Comment

Is there a reason she doesn't want to eat? Is that typical? It could be the higher numbers but not eating could be a problem. The other thing is if you wait to give insulin too much past her normal time then feed and give insulin the next meal on schedule, she could have some overlap. You can give her 1/4 of her insulin if she doesn't eat at all.

I think she is probably on too low of a dose so I would expect the vet to raise her some. I know it seems dangerous to be high but she can probably tolerate it better than humans can.

You are doing great - try to keep your head up!
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                      X