Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get my dog's diabetes stabilized HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't get my dog's diabetes stabilized HELP!

Doing good!!!

What I like about doing a curve is that we can also keep an eye on those low numbers and do any tweaking from there. Thank goodness for home testing.
    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

That's good news... The insulin is definitely working now and I bet the thyroid meds had a lot to do with it. Keep in mind that the thyroid meds can have a big effect on her insulin requirements. My Lily was on 30 units of Novolin N and after starting her thyroid meds, she finally settled in at around 16 units.

Best of luck and keep going with the curve. Hopefully this won't happen, but if she drops below 70 you may have to intervene with some Karo syrup.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

as mike suggested keep and eye on on going lower and intervene if necessary

with resistance being broken its possible you may have to lower the dose as mike did with lily and it can be dramatic as with lily cutting it by almost half
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Here is her complete curve. The doctor said to keep her at 14u and recheck in a week. She also suggested giving her the insulin as soon as she eats.

7am 293
          8am- given 14u of Novolin
          10am 101
          2pm 213
          6pm 498
          7pm- 14u Novolin
          10pm 294

What do y'all think?

Comment

Good job with the testing. I agree with the vet in giving insulin right after Dakota eats. That way the food and insulin can work together. Giving her another 5 to 7 days to adjust to this new pattern is also a good idea.

For her next curve, try to test every 2 hours starting at fasting and continuing up to her next meal. That way we can see if that 101 at 10am goes any lower. We really don't know if she went lower sometime between 10am and 2pm.
            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
            Diabetes: Aug 2013
            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Working...
            X