X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sydney

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
    Thanks all!

Holli - Sydney is on soloxine for her thyroid already - I believe the last time she had blood work done (probably a couple months ago), her levels were good.

Temp this morning was still 103.5
    Poor Syd. Still rooting for her to kick butt in getting past this!

I'd read that using steroids can alter thyroid function - that's the only reason I was asking. Decker was due for a thyroid re-check around the time he started pred so we'd delayed the testing.

Here is the link to an article where I read about it:
    http://florida.bluepearlvet.com/file...-web-LINKS.pdf

Hoping for some good news soon!
    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Hi Tami, I hope Sydney had a better day today.

Take care of yourself too Tami, I know it's hard.

Tara
      Tara in honor of Ruby.
      She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
      Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hey all!

After four doses of 10mg of pred, her fever still didn't reduce. We ended up getting a steriod shot at about 4pm on 9/4 (Wednesday). We will continue with 10 mg of pred for 1 week and then 5mg for 1 week, then back to 5mg every other day.

I won't bother posting her BG's - they are high - we are attempting to manage with R.

Temperature:
        9/4 (Wednesday)
        2:30 p.m. = 103.2
        4pm = shot
        9pm = 103.1

9/5 (Thursday)
        6:10am = 102.5
        2:30pm = 100.1
        8:15pm = 102.3

9/6 (Friday/today)
        5:30am = 102.6

Fingers crossed that we stay where we are OR a little lower. We have company coming to visit this weekend (two adults - no kids). Husband is convinced this will stress her out and bring the fever back. I'm not convinced of that. Syd is deaf so she lives in peace and quiet all the time

Thanks everyone - again, appreciate each and every one of you cheering on the sassy blue hairs of our house!

Tami, Syd "I have beautiful hair", and Soaphie "I just want everyone to like me"
        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Hard to believe this whole fever thing could get worse. You sound as thou you are holding up better though.

Fingers crossed.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

they are beautiful and we love them! hang in there Tami
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Tami,

At first when I saw those numbers.... I thought wow, steriods and Pred, you do have some magic dogs.

Then I re-read your post, and realize those were temps.

It sounds like you have a game plan, and at least have a course to follow. Keeping her and YOU in our thoughts... hoping for clear sailing on her road to recovery.

Barb
              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Will pray for even more progress, Tami.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Sydney's temp has been hanging around 102 for the last few days. Her blood sugar has been good too - giving her 17 to 18 units a.m. and p.m. (we are giving 10 mg of pred once per day for a few more days then reducing a bit). We stopped having to supplement with R on Saturday (I imagine the steroid shot wore off at this point).

Bizarre event:
                  Yesterday her back left leg ruptured. I was quite surprised to say the least as her fever subsided a few days back. We cleaned it and wrapped it - it ruptured right above her knee on the outside of her leg - and now the area from her toes to her knee is a bit puffed up with edema. She is not limping at all. She is eating and pooping and her general demeanor is good. She cannot get up off the floor if it's the hardwood - but if on the carpet, she can get up without assistance.

Sent a message to her dr. - not sure if I have any questions for her or not - more of an FYI - it's just weird.

All for now!

Tami
                  Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

You're one fantastic mom. Sydney's very fortunate to have you in her corner.
                    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

How to true to that Bill! Sydney is one lucky pup!
                      Praying that things get better soon.

Barb
                      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Spoke with the vet - going to put her on simplecef to fight off any infection in the open/oozing wound. It's a hot mess - the "ick" just keeps on oozing out

Comment

I hope it does the trick. You are so good at dealing with the ick. As long as she starts to feel better, maybe her temp will drop now!
                          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

sounds like a plan . dont like the ick

hope it up clears up soon
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Poor Sydney!! That can't feel good!! Hope it clears up quickly!
                              Mel
                              Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Aww, that sounds like it should be very painful. Surprised you said she doesn't limp. Hope it heals quickly.

Jake
                                13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
                                At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X