Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Re: New diabetic mom

Ok, tried adding green beans, she ate a couple but more importantly, she ate the food and picked around the green beans... $25 sounds a lot better than $90, though I hate throwing the $90 away... would it hurt to switch after this vial is gone in 28 days? Also the diet food is $70 a bag, if she's not happy eating it, I have no problem cooking for her every day. Can someone point me to a site for a diet of table food?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Sorry for the brief response earlier. Using up the humulin N and then switching to the novolin n sounds like a practical plan. One tip, a lot of folks find that either insulin seems to lose it's potency around the 28-30 day mark. So even if your vial of insulin is not gone, if you start to see wonky things, it may be worth discarding the insulin and purchasing a new vial.

Regarding food, if she was eating fine before switching to the prescription food, I'd consider switching her back as long as there are no other medical issues at hand (high lipids, pancreatitis, etc..., for example). As others have said, the most important thing is to make sure a diabetic dog eats and eats consistently. If you are always having to add toppers to encourage them to eat and the eating time and amount varies from day to day, you will never get a clear picture of how well balanced the food/insulin is interacting as the variables change daily.

If you can get your dog to eat a consistent amount at a consistent time twice daily, you can give a consistent amount of insulin and then after a minimum of five days (unless there are any low numbers or concerns of DKA) you can run a full 12 hour curve to see how they are working together. The results of the curve will tell you what you need to do.

Home cooked food does work for some but in the beginning it seems there are enough other overwhelming things to consider that if you are comfortable going back to the old food, that may be the simpler route to follow for now.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Last edited by momofdecker; 09-05-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey's_Mom View Post
Ok, tried adding green beans, she ate a couple but more importantly, she ate the food and picked around the green beans... $25 sounds a lot better than $90, though I hate throwing the $90 away... would it hurt to switch after this vial is gone in 28 days? Also the diet food is $70 a bag, if she's not happy eating it, I have no problem cooking for her every day. Can someone point me to a site for a diet of table food?
they are smart and know how to pick out food thats for sure..so i have learned to chop it all up in a blender so he can not pick it out..i boil chicken and chop it finely in a blender then mush my sweet potato into it and add wet dog food a table spoon i found an all natural dog food that he likes and add it to make it moist and he cant pick anything out anymore so he has no choice but eat it all..and ya i would finish that bottle and not throw it away first thats just my opinion..walmarts needles are also cheap i pay 12 dollars for a box..i am sorry i dont know that website but i am sure others do...i just guess he is getting enough food and so far he hasnt loss weight so i am doing ok..
sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
They are stinkers aren't they!? Other veggies I've tried are broccoli and pureed pumpkin...you have to make sure it is pure pumpkin and not the pumpkin pie stuff. I know a few others add beans, but I'm not sure what kind or what that does exactly.

I'm assuming since it's early, a full curve hasn't been done yet? You might also want to watch the video's on home blood testing http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html at some point.

Everything is quite overwhelming at first...it seems like you'll never get it, but you will. It's amazing how fast our pups accept their new reality, faster than we do really. It's also amazing how fast we figure out that we've got this! And when you don't, you come here and ask a question and someone is bound to help!

Hang in there!
Mel
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Post Re: New diabetic mom

At one time Walmart did offer the Humulin N under the Relion brand, and I switched from it to the Novolin N when they did.

Just a word of caution, and that is for some pups (and they all behave differently), it seemed to be stronger than the Humulin. So has a safety measure we decreased. But considering Baily may not be regulated yet, it may not be an issue, as Mandy stated, you are not too into it. I would recommend finishing the bottle, and discuss with your vet, that you would like to try the Novolin.

We do weigh, measure and try to keep things consistently as possible. Diabetes is a crazy disease, and not predicable, so the more you can control, hoping for more predicability.... well maybe

If you are looking for some good diabetic recipies, Lew Olson's is a good one, (Raw and Natural Nutrition) as I did at one time home prepare raw food, and I am sure others will offer theirs.

Barb

Last edited by Abby's Mom; 09-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Hello and welcome to you & Bailey.

Why did your vet come down on the chicken? There's all sorts of chicken in the w/d.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Others have mentioned the Walmart ReliOn branded Novolin-N insulin, just thought I'd give you a link to it: http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

Consistency, consistency, consistency is really important for most pups. EXACTLY the same meals, I use a kitchen food scale to weigh out Annie's kibble because just a few kibble more / less seems to make a difference in her.

Almost never gets a between meal treat. A typical Milkbone would cause her BGs to soar. The exception is that I do give 1 - 2 pieces of frozen green bean (straight from the freezer) after blood tests.

Gotta run. Welcome, and good luck.

Craig
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM

The vet came down on Chicken and eggs because she has a LOT of junk in her trunk, she should weigh about 20 pounds less and the reason for the weight gain in the first place is her not wanting to exercise and overfeeding due to food aggression towards her new brother. The food aggression ceased when we upped her food, now she eats hers, he eats his, and they don't usually bother each other's bowls. He said chicken and eggs and other additives were okay only occasionally and he'd rather she stick to only the dog food until she loses weight...
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The vet came down on Chicken and eggs because she has a LOT of junk in her trunk, she should weigh about 20 pounds less and the reason for the weight gain in the first place is her not wanting to exercise and overfeeding due to food aggression towards her new brother. The food aggression ceased when we upped her food, now she eats hers, he eats his, and they don't usually bother each other's bowls. He said chicken and eggs and other additives were okay only occasionally and he'd rather she stick to only the dog food until she loses weight...

Something to keep an eye on is her weight. Most diabetic dogs with uncontrolled diabetes will lose weight until their bg is stabilized. Prior to switching food, how much food was she eating on a daily basis?

If you find her weight is holding steady, it may be worth discussing with your vet as it could mean there are underlying factors at play. Not likely, but worth asking the question.

I only give this advice because my boy's weight held steady at around 95-98 pounds while his bg ran mostly 300 - 600 for six months. He was only eating initially 2c of food daily. Prior to his diabetes diagnosis he was quite active and still gained weight on the 2c per day. He did get some table scraps but nothing to the extent that it would have caused excessive weight gain.

A few months into his diagnosis we did increase to 3c daily (1.5c per meal). Still not a lot of food for a bigger dog. He turned out to have hypothyroidism. He was weighed every time he went to the vet and we were thankful that his weight held steady as it was one less thing we had to worry about. Turns out it may have been an early indicator that he had something else going on. Once he started his thyroid meds we were finally able to gain control over his diabetes and his weight dropped to 87 pounds over an eight week span.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 09-05-2013, 12:19 PM

I was just reading another thread where they were discussing homemade food and someone posted this link. It might be a helpful guide if you're interested in cooking for your pup....

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...lasso?id=10666

I also feed low fat food to my dog due to high triglyceride levels. We started with Honest Kitchen Preference and I added steamed chicken. He wasn't a fan and we are in the midst of switching to Annamaet Lean. Both have fat % under 10%. It's been a struggle...especially b/c he's always been a good eater and loved his original food If you are looking for low fat, yet high quality foods you can search on www.dogfoodanalysis.com or www.dogfoodadvisor.com has a calculator that will help you determine the amount of food your dog needs per day to lose/maintain/gain weight. You just need to enter the calories/cup of food that you are currently feeding.

Good luck!!!
Elliot is a 25 lb. min. schnauzer, 10 yrs. old, dx 3/2013. dx Cataracts 8/2013 resulting in loss of sight. AlphaTrak 2 Meter with Freestyle Lite strips. Hills W/D glucose management kibble with add ins of poached chicken and Beneful soft food.