Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lily - My English Setter

Yay Lily
    JoJo 6 yr old mini-schnauzer dx with diabetes over 3 years ago. Currently on 16U of Novolin N 2 x a day. AlphaTrak 2. Also Calli 3 yr old yellow lab mix.

Comment

It's been over a week now since Lily's initial bout with pancreatitis. Here's some things that we have learned. Hopefully, they will help others on the forum who might experience this.
      • Recognize the symptoms - Lily was throwing up, wouldn't eat and was crying (she never has done that)
      • Get your dog to the vet ASAP
      • Our vet did the CBC blood test which came back normal and suspecting pancreatitis, did a pancreatic lipase test, which came back abnormal
      • Our vet put her on Cerenia to block vomiting, the antibiotic amoxicillin and tramadol for the pain
      • The vet put her on a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and brown rice, with plenty of water, and told me to proceed slowly, gradually increasing her meals and then switch over to a lower fat diet once things were back to normal.
      • She also recommended giving Lily 100mg of Milk Thistle daily. Milk Thistle helps with liver issues, but can also alleviate symptoms of pancreatitis in dogs.
      • She also advised me to check her BG levels more frequently and adjust her insulin accordingly.
      • The first few days Lily had very little appetite, so I hand fed her whenever she felt like eating
      • Over the weekend Lily was constipated, so the vet said to give her a tablespoon of Mineral Oil with her food. That solved that problem.

Lily is doing fine now. I switched her food over to Merrick Grain Free Healthy Weight Dry, which has 7% to 11% crude fat.

She's back to her goofy self, lying on her back, taking up the whole couch.
      Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 11:53 AM.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy to hear that she's recovering well. What an awesome Thanksgiving present!!!!!!
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Fantastic news!! I love that picture
          Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

Glad to hear she's back on track. Pretty couch girl.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Thank you for posting that list - it is amazing and I am so glad she is better. So many people try to force these poor pancreatitis dogs to eat quickly and by doing so, miss the seriousness of this condition and how they can relapse so quickly. I learned with Maggie many of those lessons and I have actually been able to stop it in the early stages a few times before she got in bad shape.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Looks like a smooth recovery for Lily. Great notes, Mike! Great that your vet is comfortable with you testing and adjusting insulin accordingly - really shows the value in home testing.
                Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

• Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all our virtual friends at k9diabetes.

Last edited by MikeMurphy; 04-18-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Merry Christmas to you and yours! Beautiful picture.

We are having a green Christmas this year - hoping that doesn't mean January will bring all the snow.
                    Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Merry Christmas, Lily sure is beautiful.
                      Ben wgt. 45 lbs. Puggle diagnosed 1/15/14 Hills Science Diet W/D with smaller topper of wet Novalin-N 13 units b.i.d.

Comment

Lily is so beautiful and that a great picture!
                        Merry Christmas to you and Lily!
                        Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim

Comment

Lily update...

We just returned from a visit to the eye vet and Lily's eyes are doing well after last February's cataract surgery. Our next visit is in six months.

She has been doing well since her bout with pancreatitis in November. We changed her over to a lower fat dog food (Merrick Grain-Free Healthy Weight). Her vet also put her on a couple of supplements... milk thistle and Purina FortiFlora. So far so good.

After all the diet changes, her BG levels are good and we've settled in at 18.5 units of Novolin N.

It's a beautiful, but cold day today. It was -5 degrees on the way to the eye vet.
                          Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-26-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

ahh cold baby

great update
                            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Quick Lily update... She had her thyroid tests done recently and everything came back normal, so we're continuing with the same dose of thyroxine twice a day.
                              Last edited by MikeMurphy; 07-26-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

the three dogeteers

glad things are doing well
                                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                                X